Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum32/)
-   -   Sport Trac wheels, 12mm offset, others? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/727640-sport-trac-wheels-12mm-offset-others.html)

Bill55AZ 04-03-2008 02:48 PM

Sport Trac wheels, 12mm offset, others?

The sport trac wheels have 12mm offset on a 16x7 wheel, giving a 4.5" backspace. That means these wheels can be used on older cars without causing a problem with rubbing tires against fenderwells.
I found some 16" alloy wheels on a mercury sedan in a junkyard, but they were scratched up so I left them.

Question is, what OTHER ford wheels are 7" wide alloys and have the 12mm offset? Preferably in 16 or 17".....
If you want to put modern wheels on an older car, it is either aftermarket at a very high price and questionable quality, or find the new ones that will fit.

Anybody got access to that kind of info? Dealership parts guy doesn't, and there aren't many junkyards willing to give out that kind of information, either.

CobraXP 04-03-2008 03:12 PM

What type of vehicle are you looking for wheels to go on? Might help me visualize it a little better.... :)

Bill55AZ 04-03-2008 10:12 PM

80 Lebaron coupe, and the chrysler alloy wheels from that era are all 15x7.
I want 16x7, and snagged a very nice set off craigslist last summer that are from a sport trac, and they are 16x7x12mm, a near perfect fit. I will have to take them to a friends machine shop and have the register opened up 1mm, as Ford center holes are that much smaller.
The set I have takes a center cap to hide the deep hole where lug nuts go, and that deep hole and center cap is essential to also cover up the protruding front hubs of that era. After market caps are available that do not have the blue oval, but that won't be an issue for those using these modern wheels for old ford cars.
Usually, a set of modern alloy factory wheels will go for around $300 or less as takeoffs, sometimes with tires for that price, depending on variables in the used tire/wheel market. After market wheels will be twice that, at least, and often as not are of lower quality construction.
Here is an ebay link showing the ones I have... but I think there may be others with the 12mm offset, perhaps even in the 17X7 size.
eBay Motors: Explorer Sport Trac 01-05 16" Rim 1 Factory Alloy Wheel (item 270224845314 end time Apr-07-08 19:43:20 PDT)

5.0B2 04-03-2008 10:35 PM

The 16" Ranger Wheels are also 7" w/12mm offset and the same 5 on 4 1/2 bolt circle. There are probably a few more of them around than the ST's.

CobraXP 04-04-2008 10:06 AM

5.0B2 is right on the Ranger wheels. Mustang, Thunderbird, Crown Victoria, Escape, Explorer, Ranger, Bronco 2 - all have 5x4.5 lugs, so there are a mass of wheels to choose from (probably other models also that I am forgetting). The offset will be the problem. I know a lot of the newer wheels have a much larger offset. I think the offset on my 2007 Sport Trac wheels is something like 40.

Are you only looking for a set htat has center caps that cover the lugs, or having the lugs show is fine also?

Bill55AZ 04-04-2008 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by CobraXP (Post 5993377)
5.0B2 is right on the Ranger wheels. Mustang, Thunderbird, Crown Victoria, Escape, Explorer, Ranger, Bronco 2 - all have 5x4.5 lugs, so there are a mass of wheels to choose from (probably other models also that I am forgetting). The offset will be the problem. I know a lot of the newer wheels have a much larger offset. I think the offset on my 2007 Sport Trac wheels is something like 40.

Are you only looking for a set htat has center caps that cover the lugs, or having the lugs show is fine also?

Thanks for the reply...
Covering the lugs is not the problem, it is covering the front hubs that stick out so far on older cars...
I contacted someone selling Hollander Wheel exchange books and he says that the books do NOT list offset for the most part, or center bore sizes, which can be opened up as needed at any decent machine shop.
Offset is the issue if you want to get relatively inexpensive modern wheels for old cars. Lots of people take off perfectly good modern rims, and tires, to put bigger ones on, and then sell off their perfectly good factory rims and tires for some fantastic prices, from $200 to $500 a set for wheels and tires. I just bought a set of 2008 Jeep alloy wheels with p245/75/16 tires for $200, put the tires on my pickup and have the alloy wheels to sell.
Those takeoffs have some value for us old car nuts, but only if the offset is 12mm (for 7" rims) or 6 or zero.....otherwise you are cramming the tires against the inner wheel well surfaces...

CobraXP 04-04-2008 04:24 PM

I've always thought it was funny how cheap you can get a great set of takeoffs for just because someone wants them out of their way. I've bought more than my fair share over the years. I am actually looking for another set of 1995-1998 Explorer 15" teardrop wheels. I had two 10' utility trailers built (one for me and one for my father). I had the axles built for them with electric brakes and 5x4.5 lug pattern so I could run my original teardrops on them. Now I need another set to make matching spares for the trailers... :)