Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   West Virginia Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum134/)
-   -   Hey Dave (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/727214-hey-dave.html)

ghunt 04-02-2008 11:19 AM

Hey Dave

You said you're running Cooper Discoverer S/T's nowadays, right?

How do you like them so far? Also what size do you have?

msgtg 04-03-2008 05:18 AM

I'll take it a step further...are they reasonably priced? What kind of wear are you getting from them?

Joe

Dave Sponaugle 04-04-2008 05:01 PM

Good tire, wearing great so far, good traction in the snow, good traction on wet roads, does decent in the mud.
285/75-16

I will buy them again.

Off the top of my head, I had a bit over 800 in four tires mounted, balanced and a front end alignment with 4 tires also disposed of.

ghunt 04-04-2008 08:50 PM

Where'd you buy em at?

I found some at this place online for $161 each with free shipping, 285/75R16. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to get those, or the 295/75R16 General Grabber AT2 (nearly the same price, from the same place). My brother works at Wal-Mart up here and can get me a "deal" on getting the tires mounted on my new rims so I'm probably going that route.

Dave Sponaugle 04-05-2008 02:40 PM

Bridgeport Tire
If you run down 79 to the Saltwell exit, turn left.
When you intersect route 50, Bridgeport Tire will be on the left.

I think the name has changed to Glotfelty Tire or something like that.

Bridgeport Tire & Supply Co
(304)842-3521
Route 50 & Route 131 Intersection
Airport Road

Have you tried these guys?
Sankbeil Tire Service
(304)296-1515
State Route 7 East
Morgantown, WV 26505

My other choice for tires was going to be Toyo Open Country M/T.
Bridgeport, WV 26330

ghunt 04-05-2008 10:50 PM

I called Sankbeil Tire awhile back, I know they include mounting & balancing in the tire price but they are EXPENSIVE. When you look at the price of the tire compared to everyone else, it comes out to like $20 a tire to mount & balance if you go through them.

1975StroppeBaja 04-06-2008 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by ghunt (Post 5995995)
I found some at this place online for $161 each with free shipping

What site on the internet has free shipping on tires? Tirerack wants $95 to ship four tires :eek:

In the past I paid about $12/tire for shipping... of course that was for Ranger tires instead of F250 tires. Still seems a bit high.

ghunt 04-06-2008 10:19 AM

unsertire.com....be aware that compared to tirerack, they tack almost $20 onto the price of each tire for that "free shipping." But, they carry some brands tire rack doesn't have, or in the case of those general grabbers, they have some in stock while tire rack doesn't (and with shipping it works out about the same)

1975StroppeBaja 04-06-2008 11:04 AM

cool... thanks for the link and info.

Looks like they don't carry Michelins. I'm kind of in the market for some LTX-MS's. They're pricy but they seem to last forever. I run those on my Exploder and have for the past 60k miles with plenty of tread left.

Any of you guys have experience with Michelin's on 3/4 ton trucks?

Last weekend I noticed my Pirelli's have developed a bunch of tiny cracks right near the wheel, all the way around the tire. The patch of tiny cracks is about an inch wide all the way around. I don't particularly like the Pirelli's so that's all the more reason to replace them.

Dave Sponaugle 04-06-2008 01:53 PM

When I was running Bridgestones several years ago the price was rather high, but the place I was getting them from (Expert Tire) did free rotations for the life of the tire as well as free repairs for the life of the tire.

The tire rotation for free for the life of the tire did drop the price to a reasonable number if you figure in what other places charge to rotate your tires for you.
Free flat repairs was just icing on the cake.

Working at construction sites, I never did figure out where I was picking up all the nails in my tires at.

cookie88 04-06-2008 02:37 PM

Hey Dave....Why aren't you the WV chapter mod?

msgtg 04-07-2008 04:46 AM

I just had to go buy a pair of tires for the wife's Tarus Wagon...rock vs. tire...and the rock won.

She's running BFG Touring TAs and they're less than a year old so we wanted to pick up a pair (I had to replace one of her rims a year ago...it's slightly bent) of the same things. Wally world had'em for 99 apiece for 215x60x16s....Sams price for the exact tire was 75. SO, guess where we bought tires? Now she's got the new pair on the front and I took the left over and put it on the bent rim so that now at least she doesn't have to use the rubber band on a rim for emergencies.

AND, YEAH DAVE...HOWS COME YOU'RE NOT OUR MOD?

Joe

ghunt 04-07-2008 09:02 AM

I like Sam's for tires, but they don't carry enough brands and their selection sucks.

I looked there for tires for both my Thunderbird and truck...didn't find ANYTHING I liked. They have no decent priced all terrains in 285/75R16 (just highway tread, a couple mud tires, and BFG AT's which are too expensive). Also didn't have anything I liked for my bird. I have BFG Traction T/A's from there, but I haven't been overly impressed with them.

Archion 04-07-2008 09:13 AM

I normally hit up Tire Rack for most of my tires, I have one of my cutomers that will mount them up real cheap for me. The only set recently I bought that I didn't, Goodyear gave me a 200 dollar rebate and 6 months no interest no payments for the Mustang Tires, Eagle F1 All Seasons.

Dave Sponaugle 04-08-2008 11:17 PM

I don't mind paying for good tires.
See the picture in my post in this thread.

Cheap tires don't cut it on my truck.
I haul to much weight and I tow to much weight.
I also work in to much mud.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...oid=84856&.jpg

I do things every day most trucks will never attempt to do.