Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum177/)
-   -   Thinking About Joining the USMC..... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/726434-thinking-about-joining-the-usmc.html)

crehberg 03-31-2008 02:09 PM

Thinking About Joining the USMC.....

I have been thinking for the past little while about joining the USMC. Not because of the pay....just because I really want to serve my country and gain the pride and integrity I know I can get through the Corps. I went down and talked to the recruiter in town last week (a real nice guy by the way) and got a packet of info, etc., etc. Well, I came home to not such a nice reception. My mother isn't really fond of the idea....and my Dad.... he didn't even want to talk about it. He just kind of "shut down" on me....got real aggitated and mad. I don't want to make my parents mad (I really want them to be proud of me)...but I really want to join some branch of the armed services. I just don't know what to do!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused: What do you guys think?

P.S.: By the way....since I'm 16....the recruiter said I could join the DEP (Delayed Entry Program) at 17, which would help me get into better shape before shipping off to Parris Island. If I do join....do you guys think I should join the DEP or just wait 'til I'm 18 and go straight to basic?

Thanks in advance guys!!!:-X25:-headbang:-headbang

rangersvt04 03-31-2008 05:39 PM

there is nothing wrong with the marines or any services today. but have you ever looked at the merchant marine? you still can see the world and you get paid a hell of a lot better. and your moving arms and ammo , fuel, supplies that the marines, navy, army all need.

crehberg 03-31-2008 06:54 PM

You know....I didn't even know the Merchant Marines were still around. Well....I guess I just found something else to research. Thanks for the idea rangersvt04.

rangersvt04 03-31-2008 08:56 PM

im at the great lakes maritime academy. but there are other academies out there.

ACADEMIES
California - The California Maritime Academy Home Page
Great Lakes - Great Lakes Martime Academy, Traverse City, MI : Northwestern Michigan College
Maine - Maine Maritime Academy-world's best seamanship instruction.
Massachusetts - http://www.mma.mass.edu/
New York - http://www.sunymaritime.edu
Texas - Texas Maritime Academy
USMMA - United States Merchant Marine Academy

usmma= us merchant marine academy out of kings point MD

wedefyu 04-01-2008 09:24 AM

I just finished MEPS in Des Moines, IA. I joined the Army National Guard, go to BCT at the end of September, and 2 days after that I'll be at APG in Maryland for AIT. My MOS is 52 Delta: Power Generation/Generator Mechanic. All the services are good options, but I've heard the Gaurd recieves the warmest welcomes in Iraq and Afganistan because usually we have previous people skills.

Don't forget to research jobs in the service. There is a ton of options for you, anything from Intelligence to Abrahms tank operator to Ranger.

guitar_demon 04-01-2008 08:45 PM

def get into the DEP, im not 100% on the corpse but i know in the army while your in DEP your recruiter will help teach you stuff (military alphabet/time, rank structure, land navigation a few other things i cant remember) but its stuff you would learn in Boot, if you learn it in the DEP and test on it (and pass) you can come out of boot an e2 as opposed to an e1
what were you thinking of for an MOS?

crehberg 04-02-2008 10:34 AM

All the services are good options, but I've heard the Gaurd recieves the warmest welcomes in Iraq and Afganistan because usually we have previous people skills.
Why does the guard usually have previous "people skills"? Is it because they are more of "civilian soliders" (not trying to offend anyone), so they work w/o the hardened exterior of a full-time grunt, since they are in the "civilian" population most of the time (while at home b/w training)?

Originally Posted by guitar_demon (Post 5981973)

I don't know...that's what I'm researching right now. I was really hoping to either do something with computers or construction (yeah, I know they're two completely different areas...but they're ones I like), but I'm really kinda open to anything.

Thanks guys,:-X25

Cody:-tap

wedefyu 04-02-2008 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by guitar_demon (Post 5981973)
def get into the DEP, im not 100% on the corpse but i know in the army while your in DEP your recruiter will help teach you stuff (military alphabet/time, rank structure, land navigation a few other things i cant remember) but its stuff you would learn in Boot, if you learn it in the DEP and test on it (and pass) you can come out of boot an e2 as opposed to an e1

I'll be in RSP, don't know if they're the same, basically I'll be drilling with other people who either haven't gone to basic yet, or have gone to basic and are waiting to go to AIT. Already learned my phonetic alphebet out of curiosity, and I'm in as an E3 because of my Associates degree.

Originally Posted by crehberg (Post 5984156)
Why does the guard usually have previous "people skills"? Is it because they are more of "civilian soliders" (not trying to offend anyone), so they work w/o the hardened exterior of a full-time grunt, since they are in the "civilian" population most of the time (while at home b/w training)?

National Guard members go to the same Basic Combat Training facilities as the rest, don't be fooled into thinking you don't have to work hard in the Guard. But yes, Guard members have generally spent more time with the civilian population, and are better at interacting. Because of this they usually have other skills that even our other enlisted soldiers do not, such as electricians, plumbers, etc.....I've heard of National Guard members being treated very well because of their ability to maintain services on bases in the Middle East. Maintenance isn't the Gaurds only priority though. Like I said, there are a ton of jobs. Visit each services web site and do the research.

crehberg 04-02-2008 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by wedefyu (Post 5984562)
National Guard members go to the same Basic Combat Training facilities as the rest, don't be fooled into thinking you don't have to work hard in the Guard.

I'm not fooled at all....I know that it would still be hard work. There would just be a little down time b/w the hard work.

Because of this they usually have other skills that even our other enlisted soldiers do not, such as electricians, plumbers, etc.....I've heard of National Guard members being treated very well because of their ability to maintain services on bases in the Middle East.
Wow...never thought about that. So, let's look down a different road. Let's say I go ahead with high school as I am now. After graduation, I get an apprenticeship/tech school training in my field of choice (for me, probably electrician or plumber if I'm going construction, or IT management in the computer field). Then, I join the guard. Now, could I possibly get a position in the guard that would use my skills as primary, not secondary? Now, I'm sure I could, but what I'm more interested is are they redily (I don't think I spelled that right:-missingt) available.....or would I have to fight to get a position, let's say, in a computer MOS?

Sorry if I'm going on and wasting your time. If all else fails, just ignore me.

Cody:-partybud

wedefyu 04-03-2008 07:46 AM

Please ask away, I'm thrilled to try to help...By the way do you have friends in a service, whatever branch of the military you join, they usually have a referal bonus, like if you were to tell a guard recruiter I helped you get into the guard, I could get 2grand for it.

With the tech school, that's exactly what I did. I didn't know what I wanted to do right after high school though so here I am 25 years old, just enlisted, haha. But I'm not the first so...... I graduated with my Associates of Applied Science Degree in Industrial Instrumentation and Control from Northwest Iowa Community College. It's a program consentrated on PLC programming and Instrumentation (flow, temp, etc....process control), but I a lot electrical, including NEC code. When I graduated in 2005 I worked for Cargill where I worked on everything from 600Amp switchgear, 200 HP electric motors, to 4-20mA signal equipment. In only 3 years I'm now in an office working on programming touchscreens, PLCs, and helping our Electricians troubleshoot devices on the floor. When I went to the guard recruiter office I specifically told them I wanted to do something electrical. They said they have those positions, but they're not always available. I'm the kind of person that likes to do something I've never done before too, so that's why I got into Power Generation/Generator Mechanic. There happened to be an opening in Cedar Rapids with Bravo Company 334th.

The key really is to score high on your ASVAB, can't remember if that's the right acronym or not but you'll here that term. If you score high enough you can get any MOS you want, and if there's not an opening, I was told not to take no for an answer, tell them you'll wait. Also you can change your MOS as long as there's openings. I'll probably do this (52D) for a year or two, then go into Intelligence. The highest you can score is a 99.

If you're serious about school, go ahead and enlist now, you'll do basic in the summer, graduate high school, and then probably go to AIT, or start college. In between Basic and AIT you'll go to drill/RSP one weekend a month. You're college will more then likely be completely paid for if you go in state, and mostly paid for if you go out of state. You'll also get the GI bill which is money you get every month while in college to live on. But be serious if you go to college, spend your time wisely.

Hope this helps, and ask away....
Josh

crehberg 04-03-2008 11:58 AM

Thanks for all the info Josh. You've given me a lot to think about. I'll make sure to keep ya'll up to date on what happens.

Thanks,

Cody

magusjinx 04-07-2008 12:43 PM

Also don't forget the Coast Guard ... They have been in the same places around the world as other military services ...

But there is something about being a Marine ... There are no ex-Marines ...

"We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?"
Gen. John W. Vessey Jr., USA, Chairman of the the Joint Chiefs of Staff; during the assault on Grenada, 1983

Once a Marine, Always a Marine: This truism is now the official motto of the Marine Corps League. The origin of the statement is credited to a gung-ho Marine Corps master sergeant, Paul Woyshner. During a barroom argument he shouted, "Once a Marine, always a Marine!" MSgt. Woyshner was right. Once the title "U.S. Marine" has been earned, it is retained. There are no ex-Marines or former-Marines. There are (1) active duty Marines, (2) retired Marines, (3) reserve Marines, and (4) Marine veterans. Nonetheless, once one has earned the title, he remains a Marine for life.

On November 10, 1775, the Continental Congress commissioned Samuel Nicholas to raise two Battalions of Marines. That very day, Nicholas set up shop in Tun Tavern. He appointed Robert Mullan, then the proprietor of the tavern, to the job of chief Marine Recruiter -- serving, of course, from his place of business at Tun Tavern. Prospective recruits flocked to the tavern, lured by (1) cold beer and (2) the opportunity to serve in the new Corps of Marines. So, yes, the U.S. Marine Corps was indeed born in Tun Tavern. Needless to say, both the Marine Corps and the tavern thrived during this new relationship.

Ok ... So that is a bit more than my $ .02 ...

1993F150KS 04-07-2008 01:44 PM

Usmc

You could be a combat engineer or work on computers in the Marines. I was a CH-46E(helicopter) mechanic. If I could have done it over I probably would have stayed in. The Marines did alot for me. Don't regret a thing except I sometimes regret getting out. Hindsight 20/20. The pay ain't great but for a single Marine most of your needs are provided. I didn't join the DEP, just enlisted but that was 15 years ago. One time the recruiters brought in some DI's to give a little taste of what boot camp would be like.Not sure what they offer now. If there is a Marine Corps League Det. near you look into attending a meeting and you can get more insight on what being a Marine entails. Good Luck

76F250Gal 04-13-2008 10:41 PM

I know my boyfriend did what he described as kind of a ROTC-type program but with the Marine Corps. He has been through Platoon Leaders Class. He started right after High School though, so you'd have to wait at least til then. At the time he was dating a different girl, who wasn't supportive and his mom didn't want him to join either. If he could do it over again he would've enlisted as soon as his PLC class training was up. You gotta do what you really want to do. Don't let other people hold you back, my boyfriend really wishes he wouldn't have.....

Truckin4life 04-13-2008 11:30 PM

I say go for it, i really wish i would have been able to. I couldnt get dr. clearence for an old sholder injury. Really frustrating actually.
I would def. go with the dep. Give you a jump on other people.

Before you do anything though, i would look at ALL branches of the military, and really look into what you want to do, and see which branches will help you advance in what you want to do. There arent many people that want to spend the rest of there life in the miliraty so its a great chance to serve your country and get a jump start on your life as a civilian once your out. Go into a trade or whatever that you will be happy with once your out. Also take advantage of any kind of schooling you can...

Last words of advice, Do all the reasearch you can, even if it doesnt seem like you might be intrested in it, just look over it to be sure. You dont want to sign your life away to the navy then realize you would rather fly planes then be on a submarine. or vise virsa. Im sure you get the point.

Lots of research then make your decision.

As for your parents they may not like the though of it, but in the end it WILL make you a better person.