Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   wvo and engine longevity (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/725921-wvo-and-engine-longevity.html)

luvemhot 03-29-2008 11:47 PM

wvo and engine longevity

I am thinking of running wvo are there any concerns to the life of the engine? What do you do to elevate them? thanks for your help

AndysFords 03-30-2008 05:31 PM

At this point I'm still not sure, however, with the money I've saved running WVO in my two Old Fords, I could buy both of them two engines.

littledre1 03-30-2008 05:53 PM

Check this out....

http://www.dinofuelalternatives.com/...inspection.php

50,000 miles on WVO and the injectors are perfect. That's not to bad.

Just make sure that you get good WVO and make REAL sure they don't put any wash water with lye in the WVO you pick up.

misnomer 04-03-2008 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by littledre1 (Post 5971557)
Check this out....

Dino Fuel Alternatives: 7.3 Combustion chamber and injector reports after 50,000 miles

50,000 miles on WVO and the injectors are perfect. That's not to bad.

Just make sure that you get good WVO and make REAL sure they don't put any wash water with lye in the WVO you pick up.

Thank you for posting that! I have been wanting to see something other than those photos of valves and pistons gummed up from using WVO. There are trucks out there with over 100k miles on them without problems, but the few that blew something are the ones you see photos of.

Phydeaux88 04-03-2008 09:01 AM

If you are going to run WVO be sure to do it right, do the conversion.
The AndysFord and misnomer speak of are IDI, PowerStrokes are a different animal and much more sensitive to fuel problems. What works for IDI will not necessarily work in a PSD.

If you do not get your truck set up properly you could be looking at a new engine in a little while.
PM FN74 (Vegistroke) he is the forum sponser.

If you dont want to convert the truck then make BD with the WVO.

I have an extensive study done a few years ago on running WVO and the potential problems associated with it. It is too long to post here but I will e-mail it to you if you PM your addy.

luvemhot 04-03-2008 09:36 AM

Was your study with the 7.3 engines or the IDI?

Phydeaux88 04-03-2008 09:55 AM

I did not do the study and it was on diesel engines in general so the findings will apply across the board. You can apply them to the IDI engines straight up but when you apply them to a PSD you should expect more problems at increased levels of severity.

luvemhot 04-04-2008 08:09 AM

Phy I sent you a pm with my email

Phydeaux88 04-05-2008 12:38 PM

Loveem and misnomer study on the way

akghound 04-05-2008 02:47 PM

Tons of info

Checkout the resource area here Frybrid Vegetable Oil Fuel Systems
Then go to the forum, you will find more info there. I use it.
Ken Gardner

parkland 04-07-2008 10:46 PM

When it comes to questions like this, the my answer is always the same.

1. Clean WVO better than anyone tells you, or you read about.

2. Make DARN sure the oil is good and hot by the time it enters the engine.

If Super clean WVO reaches the motor, at 180+deg, and of course normal fuel pressure, everything will be ok.

Any variation of those things, trouble may come fast. I never had an oil analasys done when i was running WVO a while back, but thats a good idea.

PS, When I said filter, I meant filter - I build a home made filter, that the WVO passes through 20-30 newspaper pages. It dripped so slow it might take a day for 1 20l pail. Of course, heated up real good she would go quicker, but you should filter better than a grease filter or paper filter.

luvemhot 04-08-2008 11:55 AM

thanks Prarkland I was going to filter down to 2

akghound 04-08-2008 09:27 PM

What filter

Originally Posted by luvemhot (Post 6011705)
thanks Prarkland I was going to filter down to 2

What are you using for filters to get to 2 micron?

luvemhot 04-08-2008 09:55 PM

dont know yet that is what I was told to do. when I get started.

firemediceric 04-09-2008 07:08 AM

I use a GE whole house water filter that comes into play after some other filtering. That filter is rated 1-2 micron nominal. Nominal is a lot different than absolute, so I know it's not a true 1-2 micron. I put felt battery terminal washers at the ends of the filter element to reduce the WVO bypassing the ends. I also wrap all of the filters in several layers of paper towel to extend actual filter life.

I do not believe in filtering the WVO hot. Yes, you will filter the stuff quicker, but I believe it also allows more junk to pass through. I try to stay patient.