Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Air Intakes, Air Filters & Ram Air (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum196/)
-   -   Volant CAI-03 5.4 first impressions (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/723962-volant-cai-03-5-4-first-impressions.html)

mtondreo 03-24-2008 10:41 PM

Volant CAI-03 5.4 first impressions

Installed this w/e on stock supercrew (aside from K&N drop-in previously). Initially, not real impressed. Hoping to get an MPG difference (probably not on this tank, due to testing new toy) but a little louder than the drop-in was. A welcome side effect, and not sure why, truck seems to shift a little smoother. I don't think there has been any huge gains in response, possibly a loss. Wife actually said I think it made your truck slower and that is where I will gain mpg's. Hopefully not, but we will see. I think truck still performs as good, and will get back on optimistic fuel savings in a couple of weeks. Instructions were not worthless - but I did not really use them. Just kind of looked them over afterwards and looked at the final picture.

Side note: I did not unhook the battery to let the computer reset. Anyone who has done one of these, please let me know if I need to. I would like to avoid resetting all of the stations and tv channels if possible.

kens64 03-25-2008 12:09 PM

Dont disconnect the battery. Pull any fuses that are related to the PCM for 10 minutes and it will relearn without having to reset the radio.

SteelHorse08 03-27-2008 05:29 PM

I disconnected just the negative cable like instructions said and that would reset the computer. All I had to do is reset the presets on the radio so no biggie. You dont need to disconnect the positive cable just the negative cable. Disconnect the negative cable for 15-20 minutes and reconnect and I bet you see an improvement on why you think it's slower, because the computer will adjust and it wont be slower like you said your experiencing.

mtondreo 03-27-2008 08:08 PM

Thanks for the replies. I pulled the fuse tonight, but I will pull the negative cable this weekend. I actually am thinking it may be running a little quicker now that I have had it for a few days and have been driving my normal routine routes. Truck really does seem to be shifting smoother (no idea why). Also I filled up half way tonight because gas is supposed to spike a few pennies more this w/e. I did get about .5 to almost a full mpg better even with me "hammering" on the truck this week playing with the new toy. But I am definitely not as disappointed as at first.

Again thanks for the responses - much appreciated

Big Bad 04-01-2008 08:15 AM

Disconnect the battery like the others are saying, then do 3 - 4 wide open throttle runs from 40 - 60 to help the pcm relearn KAM. Should help you out.

96sherm 05-25-2008 01:34 PM

one tip for draining the system, when you disconnect the battery, leave your headlights on too so it completely drains the charge and it'll be starting out fresh.

mtondreo 05-26-2008 12:12 AM

thanks for the replies. Have tried all but the latest post about headlight draining. Unfortunately, not real impressed with this intake. I was hoping for an MPG gain - don't really need performance, it's a truck. I may have gained .5 in the city, but just made an interstate run last weekend and got 14.8 MPG. Now yes I was on it quite a bit, but think the stock filter gave better results (mpg wise) than this intake gave. It will stay on simply because I threw out the stock intake and can't seem to find the drop-in K&N and OEM housing in the garage right now. Also .5 in the city gain is borderline acceptable to me. It's better than what I had, just hoped for more. I would like to hear a K&N intake guy chime in if he got better results.

96sherm 07-23-2008 11:00 PM

what the heck has that to do with a CAI??