Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   N. California Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum90/)
-   -   Where to get my truck painted... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/719703-where-to-get-my-truck-painted.html)

DanMan7 03-13-2008 11:07 PM

Where to get my truck painted...

Hey everyone. I was thinking about within the next two months or so getting my truck repainted at an auto body shop/painting shop. Any good painting/auto body shops in northern California? I'm willing to spend max $1500-$2000 for a paint job on my truck. There's of course Earl Scheib, or Maaco, or Miracle, but any places you prefer over others?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Mecinoid 03-13-2008 11:18 PM

Macco if you are OK with the quality. You'll get a spec of dust here and there. If you really want that taken care of just take it back and have them repaint it for free. If it is something in your prep ... You might have to pay another $250 or so for the repainted section. But, that's still only $575. I can't see paying more for a paint job unless it's a show truck.

My paint job has lasted over 10 years now and was $500 presidental on sale for $275. If you want to pay more you can. But, my experience is unless your going into $4-5K range there isn't much difference. The biggest difference is in prep. If you do a good job there on your own you can get a paint job that will be awesome for street use and looks. If you are looking for a custom paint or perfect job..... You better save for that $5K paint job and do a lot of reasearch.....

Mom had a $1500 paint job done on LTD. It lasted 3 years and the paint started to peel off ... That was a Miracle job. Looked good for a year.

I'm ready to do my paint over again .... but, it not for the paint it's for the dents and dings I've gotten over the past 10 years. ;-)

https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y2...eofRanger2.jpg

I also had a convert Mustang, and a Cougar painted by Macco paint job Presidental on spring sale .... again $275. If I can find the mustang's pictures I'll post those up. I can't post up the Cougar's pictures because someone stole the pictures ... It was that good a job. x(

fastmover 03-13-2008 11:49 PM

I've seen AJ's (Mecinoid) truck and the paint job is really good, especially for $275. I am in an autobody course at the local community college. It is more of an open workshop where the teacher ( a retired auto body shop owner) helps us out, teaches us a bit, and gives us access to some really groovy tools. I asked him the same question you had. He suggested ask around and find out which Macco, Scheib, etc. has the best shooters. Those discount auto body places go through so many paint jobs that the painters are usually great at laying down a great paint job. My shop teacher also said that these shops don't usually mind if you bring your own paint. I am looking into buying some really good PPG base and clear for my truck and then paying them to shoot it twice. I am not sure what paint these companies use, but I am betting their bottom end paint jobs are not that great. A friend of mine who restores muscle cars has had great luck with the Earl Scheib in Concord or Martinez.

As AJ mentioned, it will not win awards, but it will look good. My goal is to have a good looking truck that I am not afraid to use for work because I might screw up the paint.

One last thing about these places, do your own masking. I've heard from many customers that they usually rush masking and you will have overspray. Remove your trim, and get it prepped for painting.

I am curious how much they would charge for removing the bed of my truck so they can paint between the cab and the bed.

A really cheap way to paint your truck is to use a roll on method. I know it sounds crazy, but here are some links to a few sites showing how good it can be done. These paint jobs usually cost under $100 and you can do it legally in your garage. It takes up to 8 very thin coats, but from what I have seen, I am impressed.
http://rollyourcar.com/default.aspx

http://rolledon.com/painting-f4/

Good luck and keep putting pics in your gallery.
Karl

Mecinoid 03-14-2008 12:05 AM

Karl - When we do your Cab replacement we can easily make it so you only have to undo a few bolts once you get to the paint shop. I can even help you with that.

Here is a picture of mine. We didn't remove the trim and they did a great job of masking. If I had owned the truck at the time it would have all come off. As it is every so often around that trim I'll have to do a touch up due to minimal ahersion and the trim vibrating through to the old paint.

This next time I'm going to spend a week on body prep not just a weekend. It will be almost show quality at a budget price.

Here is what we did last time:

https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y2...0/DSC05907.jpg
I think the key was to make sure we roughed every square inch of the truck where it was going to be painted with 100-150grit. It seems to have lasted the test of time. Plus you want to use a de wax before and after the 100-150grit imo. 80 grit is a bit too rough in my opinion and I have seen some grain marks when I've used that in the past. Most of the sanding was done by had with block. Only use vibra-sander on large areas. Make sure you are consistent on the bondo formula too. Work in panel sections.

<O:p

It's cheap and quick workn to do and helps the adhesion a lot imo.

3Mike6 03-14-2008 06:52 PM

Labor is a big part of cost too, ask around and see what you can save by stripping off everything yourself, bumpers/trim/lights, door handle/etc...this way they won't be masking them, plus you get a better job with the paint "under" those things instead of right next to'em.

I've seen some real good MAACO jobs and some piss-poor ones too, prep is key, so make sure you ask them if they'll be sanding it, or just scourpadding it, also ask how many coats of paint will be laid.

If you look in the '47-earlier forum, a guy just posted up a thread called "Cut and Buff your paint", or similar, with a link to his website, with your own labor after you get it home, you can make that 1500-2K paint job look like a 6K job...it's too much detail for me though, I don't have the patience to block sand a truck so much.

Mecinoid 03-14-2008 07:04 PM

Mike you'd be amazed at what a couple of cases of beer and some sandpaper can do.

Then again,

You'd be amazed at what a couple of cases of beer and some sandpaper would do.

3Mike6 03-14-2008 07:53 PM

Lol...I've seen plenty of those paint jobs before...we call'em "50 footers"

fastmover 03-14-2008 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by 3Mike6
Lol...I've seen plenty of those paint jobs before...we call'em "50 footers"

I call them 50- 50s.

50 feet away at 50 mph.

f2501967 03-16-2008 06:26 PM

DanMan7,

if your around turlock, there is a body shop on lander across from the 7-11. i got a quote from for my truck once complete paint inside and out for $2500.00. ive seen some of his work, it was fantastic.

he always goes to bare metal weather he is doing patch jobs or complete body work. when i was there last he was doing a 1936 chevy business coupe. minor custom work to body and he was doing the frame as well.

the only thing i didnt like that what he does is after he strips the compete vehicle, he bondos the entire vehicle. i do know he does this to get every thing straight before he lays down any primer.

i for one think he does a great job. but thats my .02 cents worth.

f2501967 03-16-2008 06:27 PM

DanMan7,

if your around turlock, there is a body shop on lander across from the 7-11. i got a quote from for my truck once complete paint inside and out for $2500.00. ive seen some of his work, it was fantastic.

he always goes to bare metal weather he is doing patch jobs or complete body work. when i was there last he was doing a 1936 chevy business coupe. minor custom work to body and he was doing the frame as well.

the only thing i didnt like that what he does is after he strips the compete vehicle, he bondos the entire vehicle. i do know he does this to get every thing straight before he lays down any primer.

i for one think he does a great job. but thats my .02 cents worth.

DanMan7 03-16-2008 10:07 PM

I actually live in Sonoma County, not anywhere near Turlock, but thanks for the info. Well the paint on my truck currently isn't that bad, I have a few rust spots, but I thoroughly waxed my truck not too long ago, with the Mother's 3-stage process. Looks a lot better than it did, most of the paint shines really well too. I think the paint job on my truck will last at least another 2-3 years. The only bad spot is my hood. Some of the paint is nonexistent, and it's down to bare metal, but I do have it waxed thoroughly, so it should be alright for now. I was tempted to just get my hood repainted, but I doubt if they can exactly color match the hood to the rest of the truck.

You can see in this pic how good my paint still is:
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...ideoftruck.jpg

Jag Red 54 03-18-2008 02:26 PM

In Citrus Heights there is a Miracle Paint Shop that has a very good rep. You tell them how much you want to spend and they tell you what the results will be. I have seen several trucks done there and they turned out very well. :) Jag