Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Remove Fuel Filter On '94 F-150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/716232-remove-fuel-filter-on-94-f-150-a.html)

Racer*2 03-05-2008 04:24 PM

Remove Fuel Filter On '94 F-150

Hello you fomoco experts,
2 hours ago I asked how to remove a simple gas filter, 41 people read my question,,,,NO ANSWER,,,,,for a simple filter replacement......these people want to buy a CHEVY,,,, So come on, why the hell won't this filter come off?
I removed the clips and dropped the preasure as the Hayne instructed me.... there is little play or slack. Is there a trick?
Waiting for an answer,,,,before I cut it off with a hack-saw....
Racer*2
Ron
I HAVE FORD BOOTS,,,,

netscaner 03-05-2008 04:29 PM

I replied to your other post, and for some reason it didn't take,...this thread seems to work.

I don't know of any clips ????

On my 94, the fuel filter snaps into a bracket that is attached to the frame rail near the front of the midship tank.

It requires a removal tool which is available at most auto parts stores pretty cheap.

I recommend the metal scissor type which is 1/4 on one end and 5/16's on the other because those are the two sizes you need for the fuel pump assemblies also when that need arises.

badass truck 03-05-2008 04:37 PM

did you get the tool that slips onto the line that releases the filter from the fuel line like was suggested in the other post?? its a cheap tool'

Racer*2 03-05-2008 04:50 PM

NO,,,,the book didn't say anything about a tool,,,,I did see the tool that releases the fuel rail......but that didn't look like that was the right tool for the filter...
Thanks for your come back...it's really embarassing, not to be able to get a filter off....
Off to auto zone...
Racer*2

jr32560 03-05-2008 04:52 PM

yup as stated above you need the tool to get it off-they got cheap plastic ones at most parts stores-different sizes-if ya ain't gonna use them much :)

TGO 03-05-2008 04:55 PM

I just looked at mine.
The 'clips' that you are talking about are only there as a safety to keep the lines on.
You will need the removal tool for these lines as previously stated.

Racer*2 03-05-2008 05:38 PM

Thanks for you guy's attention.
I'm back for auto zone,,,tried the tool...it still won't come loose......I got the sizzor type as recommended,,,but,,,we clamp the tool around the line,,and it won't release the guttle spring....I guess I'll figure it out.....thanks again,,,we live WAY OUT in the country and I don't have anybody to consult....glad I found this site.....All these dang things are different.....MAY THE FORCE BE WITH US....
Racer*2
Ron
Owner of five fords...
1988 f-350 motorhome
1977 F=100 hot-rod
2000 Ranger
1992 Thunderbird...
2000 F-650 dump truck
The Blue Blood runs deep here in Florida

jr32560 03-05-2008 05:49 PM

had a similar problem on a mazda/ford truck-the clutch line-we used a small piece of sheet metal to make our own tool cause we had too little space for the bought tools-they have little finger spring clips all around the inside of the line-just push it in the space between the filter and the line-should pop off with a little effort-may need to spray it with a little wd-40 or something along those lines to clean and free up any debris-road dirt or mud

muddyford911 03-05-2008 06:12 PM

being a lube-tech at ford i've done plenty. the trick is to get an open end wrench roughly the same size as the quick disconnect. put the quick disconnect tool onto the fuel line and use the open end of the wrech to pry the fuel line loose. at the same time push the fuel line towards the filter and it should pop right off.

netscaner 03-05-2008 06:15 PM

Try pushing the line on more as your inserting the tool, lots of times the locking springs jam.

Sometimes you have to cut the filter stubs off right at the filter so that you can get it on your workbench and play with it with full access.

quicklook2 03-05-2008 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by netscaner
Try pushing the line on more as your inserting the tool, lots of times the locking springs jam.

Sometimes you have to cut the filter stubs off right at the filter so that you can get it on your workbench and play with it with full access.

that is what i do for more access and it always works for me.

netscaner 03-06-2008 05:58 AM

Woops............... I mispoke in my post above.

You can't get the parts you have to work on to the workbench, but the lines with the stubs from the filter that are stuck in them will drop down to where you have easier access to work on them.