Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   F-250 Steering Play !!!! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/715507-f-250-steering-play.html)

BIGGMIKE 03-03-2008 07:47 PM

F-250 Steering Play !!!!

I looked in the search section for steering play and find all kinds of problems ranging from bad steering boxes to pitman arms and steering stabilizer bars. First of its a 2004 F-250 Harley truck 4x4 WHEN DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD ITSEEM TO WANDER BACK AND FORTH. it pulls to the left then when i staighten it itkind of goes the other way. wierd I just put new tires on it same thing also an alignment. the toe was off but it still wanders. any help would great!!!! thank you

F350-6 03-03-2008 08:42 PM

Welcome to FTE. Did the problem just start with the new tires? Or was it there before? How long have you had the truck, and has it always done this?

If you're new to a Superduty, then they do handle different than a half ton or car. Since we have our own funny language here you might also try searching for "Death wobble"

Some trucks have this, and that's what most refer to it as.

redford 03-03-2008 08:43 PM

Sounds like the caster setting is off.

BIGGMIKE 03-04-2008 07:59 AM

Just bought the truck 2 weeks ago, put new tires on 2 days ago and it feels like a drunken weave back and forth

redford 03-04-2008 08:18 AM

Was it like this when you purchased the truck, or did it start when you put the tires on it?

fcfirefighter05 03-04-2008 08:34 AM

One thing I found with my truck not to long ago was the pitman arm was worn-replaced it, and the steering gear needed to be adjusted....helped a good bit...this could help you. One thing to see is get someone in the seat moving the steering wheel back and forth while you look under the front for any joints with slack in it...doesn't take much slack to make a big difference. To check the steering box, see whether the pitman arm moves "tight" with the steering wheel, or if when changing directions, there is slack there...do all this with the motor off. Hope it helps

BIGGMIKE 03-07-2008 03:37 PM

put brad new steering stabilizer bar on, (didnt have one on there) same thing going to try to adjust the steering box tonight. The new tires went on after I bought it and after thealignment

RussB 03-07-2008 03:40 PM

Mine does the same.. I have to check it all out as well.. another thing to check I think would be the track bar bushings !! they might be a bit loose and I've heard that it might make the truck wander !!

jokerforever 03-07-2008 05:02 PM

If there is something lose in the steering a stabilizer won't make a difference. I had this same problem and replacing everything from the box to the tie rods. I fought that steering for three years. It ended up being the balljoints. I don’t know what made me feel dumber; the fact that I didn’t think about that or that the one that found it was some young punk at the Firestone shop when I took it in to have the rotors turned.

Do what Firefighter said; have a friend move the steering wheel back and forth and watch to see what moves. It could be in the tie rods, ANY bushing in the suspension, the box, or the steering shaft. If you can’t see anything jack the frontend and see if there is any play at the tires. You might need a pry bar to check the balljoints.

Oh and if the box is loose don’t crank down on the adjustment screw. If you tighten too much it will raise the PS fluid pressure and you’ll bust you’re lines.

elmo8641 03-07-2008 05:26 PM

my ball joints are to tight. it makes it so that the truck does not return to center. kinda wonders over the road because it never will go back to center. if you remove your tie rod ends from the knuckle and try to turn the wheel. if it is hard to turn then the ball joints are prob. bad. not loose but to tight.

jeffdoerr 03-07-2008 06:10 PM

I had the same problem with my 99. Changed EVERYTHING related to steering, it was never perfect, but was probly 50% better. I was told by a Ford mechanic that reman steering gear boxes are usually not the way to go, he recommend that I buy a new Ford part. Well, reman was half the price, thats what I used, in fact, I changed it twice in a year. While these trucks do handle different, that is no reason for the awful wander in the steering. My 06 does not do that, it drives like it should.

I did finally solve the steering problem and have not had a problem since. I sold it last november.