Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Break in period for 08' Exp (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/714659-break-in-period-for-08-exp.html)

680276122 03-01-2008 10:04 PM

Break in period for 08' Exp

Maybe I'm hard of reading, but I couldn't find what the recommended breakin period is on the 08' Expeditions? I'm guessing that it's 1000 miles, no constant speed for > 10 minutes, no more than 3.5K RPM's.

SemperFiDevilDog 03-02-2008 06:22 AM

and NO Towing for the first 500 miles...

montecarlo31 03-02-2008 10:15 AM

I have never followed the break in period after the first 250 miles, after that everything is pretty much good to go. Heck we take our F-550s w/ 8 miles on them and load them to over 22K lbs and run them that way for 80K miles. Haven't had a transfer case or axle fail. Engines crap out all the time but thats the 6.0. I think break in periods are a thing of the past.

R-WEST 03-03-2008 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by montecarlo31
I have never followed the break in period after the first 250 miles, after that everything is pretty much good to go. Heck we take our F-550s w/ 8 miles on them and load them to over 22K lbs and run them that way for 80K miles. Haven't had a transfer case or axle fail. Engines crap out all the time but thats the 6.0. I think break in periods are a thing of the past.

Did you ever try following some type of break-in procedure? Maybe the engines would live a bit longer. Just curious. The 6.0 certainly seems to have its share of issues, but I've seen some with well over 100K with no problems. Just sayin'.... :)

tseekins 03-09-2008 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by 680276122
Maybe I'm hard of reading, but I couldn't find what the recommended breakin period is on the 08' Expeditions? I'm guessing that it's 1000 miles, no constant speed for > 10 minutes, no more than 3.5K RPM's.

I've always been told to break it in the way you intend to drive it.

Tim

rich93cw 03-11-2008 01:57 PM

from '08 Expy Owners Guide page 6:

"BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE
Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive
continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of
new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the
moving parts a chance to break in.
Drive your new vehicle at least 500 miles (800 km) before towing a
trailer. For more detailed information about towing a trailer, refer to
Trailer towing in the Tires, Wheels and Loading chapter.
Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils since
these additives may prevent piston ring seating. See Engine oil in the
Maintenance and Specifications chapter for more information on oil
usage."

It is really amazing how many people do not read the owner's manual. Who knows why, but it's a fact. The owners manual has almost everything that you need to know about your vehicle. Its a big book, owners paid for it, but it wastes away in the glove box or in the trash. Too bad.

680276122 03-17-2008 08:18 PM

Rich,
Thanks for pointing it out for me. I did read the manual, and even took the time to find something on the breakin period, but obviously overlooked what you posted. Thanks again.

rich93cw 03-17-2008 08:39 PM

Rich,
Thanks for pointing it out for me. I did read the manual, and even took the time to find something on the breakin period, but obviously overlooked what you posted. Thanks again.

Who would have thought that there was no section for it and it was in the introduction? Who reads introductions anyway? Well, me because at NHTSA we were alway ranting about owners not reading their manuals and calling NHTSA because they didn't know why their vehicle did this or that.

I suppose that I am too anal sometimes! I read everything that came with the vehicle and I am part of the way through the shop manual.:-D

07EXPYEL 03-19-2008 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by rich93cw
I am part of the way through the shop manual.:-D

Is your shop manual a hard copy print, or a CD copy? I'd really like a CD copy.

rich93cw 03-19-2008 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by 07EXPYEL
Is your shop manual a hard copy print, or a CD copy? I'd really like a CD copy.

Hard copy.

07EXPYEL 03-19-2008 05:27 PM

Rich, does the manual state normal and maximum operating temperatures?
If you can look it up, I’d like to know about; Cylinder Head Temperature, Transmission Fluid Temperature, Engine Coolant Temperature, and Engine Oil Temperature.
I’ve got a MSD Dashawk monitor and can look at everything except for EOT. I’ve got some datalogs stored in the unit that I haven’t downloaded yet from a travel trailer tow I made last week round trip Phoenix to San Diego.

chuck s 03-20-2008 05:44 AM

Ford has no OBD2 sensor for Engine Oil Temperature. You'll need an analog sensor.

Head temperature on mine runs maybe 1° or 2° above coolant temperature and that rarely exceeds 200° when towing.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-.../20aprtemp.JPG
Towing my 5000 pound camper thru the Alleganies in central PA.

No data yet on trans temp other than daily driving.

The torque converter locks in 4th, 5th, and 6th for sure.

-- Chuck

rich93cw 03-21-2008 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by 07EXPYEL
Rich, does the manual state normal and maximum operating temperatures?
If you can look it up, I’d like to know about; Cylinder Head Temperature, Transmission Fluid Temperature, Engine Coolant Temperature, and Engine Oil Temperature.
I’ve got a MSD Dashawk monitor and can look at everything except for EOT. I’ve got some datalogs stored in the unit that I haven’t downloaded yet from a travel trailer tow I made last week round trip Phoenix to San Diego.

The shop manual says nothing about temperature other than using it as a criteria for testing, ie. with the coolant at least 152 degrees, then test the xxx system.

Baumbach 03-24-2008 08:13 PM

The oil from the factory has a dye in it that only shows up while looking at it with a black-light, they do this so any leaks can easily be found. They say the dye will not hurt anything, but in any case I change my oil to full synthetic at 1k miles even though the warranty did not require it until 7.5k miles on my 08. Note: I am using Full Synthetic and not the factory installed Synthetic-Blend, there is a big difference. Oil change intervals went from every 5, 000 on 07's to 7,500 miles on 08's

immastrokinnow 03-27-2008 06:27 PM

i always say its either gonna go or blow. if it blows....it wouldnt have lasted long anyway. and for you guys you all have warrenties....