Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum32/)
-   -   2002 explorer rear wheel bearing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/714459-2002-explorer-rear-wheel-bearing.html)

lovemy150's 03-01-2008 02:33 PM

2002 explorer rear wheel bearing

Does anybody have a good post for replacing the rear wheel bearing on an 02 explorer? My P.O.S just burned up another wheel bearing and I want to try to replace it myself. I did a front myself (hub assembly) I had a rear done at a dealer (OUCH) the driver rear is now gone and I want to save some money but the rear is nothing like the front. Any help on where to find a DIY replacement would be appreciated.

RA81222 03-01-2008 06:19 PM

I just had my last remaining wheel bearing(rear) replaced at the dealer.Unless you have a big press you won't be able to get the old bearing out.I think it is possible for you to pull the knuckle off yourself and then take it to a shop and pay them for pressing only.Probably just need to take the toe link loose and sep. upper ball joint, take big nut off axle and brake parts to get the knuckle off.

steve(ill) 03-01-2008 06:59 PM

back is very similar to the front with disassembly and reassembly. the difference like limb said is once the front is off, you just stick the new one on, with the back, you have to take the steering knuckel to a 20 ton press, disassembly and reassemble with new bearing (and possibly hub).

lovemy150's 03-01-2008 08:53 PM

Thanks for the replies,
I think I have access to a 20 ton press so this shouldn't be a problem. It looks like all I should need is the new bearing which they now sell seperate. Do I still need the new hub or can I just put press the old one back into the bearing?

lovemy150's 03-02-2008 07:51 PM

For all who will look, The replacement of the bearing isn't bad as long as you have a 20 ton press available and some good shims. I would recommend spraying the two ball joint pinch fittings with some blaster or other good penetrating oil a day in advance of tackling this to get it working. The other thing I found and should have known is when you press in the hub, you need to have backing plates on the back side of the bearing because it is a split bearing and you will press out the back side seal if you don't have something in there holding the seal and bearing in place. Degree of difficulty for this repair is about a 7 (1 being easy 10 being hard) The hardest thing I found was getting the assembly off the truck and the penetrating oil would go a long way in helping this. Other than that the snap ring that holds the bearing in on the back side can be fun (broke one snap ring plier and then heated the body and had a pretty serious snap ring tool to remove) Good thing I have a friend who does mechanic work to supply me with the tools. Hope this post helps others faced with replacing these.

steve(ill) 03-02-2008 07:56 PM

biggest thing on reassembly is to watch the order of hub- bearing- knuckle. dont want to be pressing the rollers aginst the race with the 20 ton pres. push the OD race into the knuckel and the ID race onto the hub. dont load the bearing while pressing.

lovemy150's 03-03-2008 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by steve(ill)
biggest thing on reassembly is to watch the order of hub- bearing- knuckle. dont want to be pressing the rollers aginst the race with the 20 ton pres. push the OD race into the knuckel and the ID race onto the hub. dont load the bearing while pressing.

By looking at the design of the bearing, it didn't appear there was any way not to pre load the bearing slightly while pressing the hub back on to the assembly. That's why when I installed the hub, I took 4 solid round shims, the first being the same diameter as the outer race and then stacked up the remaining shims to support the nuckle while pressing the hub in. The inner race is a 2 piece design so if you tried to press on that you would definately load the bearing. Just my .02 on this. I'll find out how I did today when I install the nuckle back on to the truck and drive. No noise, success. Noise and it's off to the dealer to trade in the junk.

Semides88 10-01-2010 05:28 AM

Everyone, I have a really simple question. I just need to know if I HAVE to change out the rear hub when I fix the rear bearing? I am trying to avoid unnecessary parts and purchases. Also do I need the seal for when I change all of this out. I really don't want to get all this apart and have to stop. I don't live in the states so it makes getting a part ridiculous and would leave the vehicle sitting for a ridiculous amount of time. Thank you, please help.

2002 Ford Explorer

steve(ill) 10-01-2010 06:15 PM

you can just replace the bearing , if you can find the bearing. two years ago when i did mine, you had to buy the hub also.. bearing not available alone. my hub looked o.k., i coul dhave reused it after wire brush or sand blast. You dont ruine it durnig disassembly.