Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   power window/ power lock kits (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/713656-power-window-power-lock-kits.html)

old ford owner 02-28-2008 02:43 PM

power window/ power lock kits

Does anyone know of a reliable supplier of a conversion kit that actually works for a resonable price ?

Miamited 03-02-2008 04:48 PM

Your best bet might just to get some doors at a junk yard that have the power windows and locks. That way you can get the factory wires, switchs, inner door panels, etc. make sure that you ger as much wire as you can up inthe cab and the rubber conduit that goes from the door frame to the door. If they don't have any rust and are the same color, you can just swap out the lock cylinders and bolt them on.

old ford owner 03-04-2008 01:50 PM

The doors on my truck are better than I would find in a junkyard around here. I was hoping to find someone who has installed an aftermarket kit with success. Why spend top dollar from a junkyard for 16 year old parts that can be found new? Thank you for the reply.
Mike

andym 03-04-2008 02:22 PM

You'll need new door panels no matter what. You can buy them aftermarket, they're not bad, but not as good as original either. Also, I'm not aware of anyplace that sells the wiring harness new. About the only "new" parts you'll be able to buy are the motors and actuators.

For the money you'll spend, I'd think it would be cheaper to get junkyard doors even if you have to gut them and install everything in your doors.

jnewkirk77 03-04-2008 02:23 PM

Before I had to quit working due to my health, I worked for a company that had a GMC Safari panel van with aftermarket power windows. Basically, what this was was a motor that literally mounted on the splined shaft where the crank handle would ordinarily go. I believe they may have come from JCWhitney. I asked about 'em one day, and they told me the kit was really cheap. Cheap or not, they worked pretty well.

Not sure about their power lock kits as I have no experience with those. But I understand they work well from people I've talked to who've installed them.

jr32560 03-04-2008 06:04 PM

yup jc whitney used to sell them-lmc sells a kit also-well last book I got 2 years ago

Miamited 03-04-2008 06:25 PM

There are aftermarket kits that you can buy. but I still would go with some doors from a junkyard and swap everything out. Just think about replacement parts a vuple of years from now when you need a window motor or door lock actuator. You will be able to get them for the factory stuff, but I dought that you would be able to for the aftermarket kits without buying a whole kit again.

that is what I would do, but it is your truck and your money.

jr32560 03-04-2008 07:17 PM

that is a very good point-replacement parts on after market stuff is hard to get

JasonJ1969 03-04-2008 07:44 PM

I have had the aftermarket power window kits on my truck for 4 years now, they have worked flawlessly. I used the Spal kits on Fleabay. Easy to install. I also used the Spal power locks, though I chose a kit without switches. You push one door's lock down, the other one locks. You unlock one door with the key, they both unlock. You open the door with the inside handle, both doors unlock. I didn't want to screw around with switches. Those power locks are more difficult to set up, but once done, they work great. I put them on the same time as the windows. This was way cheaper than getting doors or OEM power window setups, and my local junkyards only sells whole doors, no individual parts.

crestfallinman 03-05-2008 08:58 AM

lmc truck sells the kits

i have not used them and i was going to try it its not too expensive
and lmc usually has good stuff

old ford owner 03-13-2008 02:15 PM

Thanks for the replies, I guess I have to keep looking