Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum268/)
-   -   Installing HVAC on 60, Compressor and Alternator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/712007-installing-hvac-on-60-compressor-and-alternator.html)

Walston 02-24-2008 04:49 PM

Installing HVAC on 60, Compressor and Alternator

3 Attachment(s)
We started the process of adding a new heater/AC to our 60. We bought a kit from Classic Auto Air. $1265 delivered to the house. First thing we had to remove lots of stuff, radiator, battery tray, alternator, etc. Then we worked on fitting up the compressor and relocating the alternator. Here are a couple before and after shots. BTW the engine is a 292 Y-block.

Walston 02-24-2008 04:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The mounting brackets worked pretty well, although I had to adjust the spacers a little to get everything lined up properly. I had to grind a little off two of them to get proper clearance, overall it worked well and I like having the alternator on top away from splashing water. Here is the mounting kit Classic Air supplies, plus where I had to grind.

Walston 02-24-2008 04:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a couple shots of most of the stuff that comes in the kit. There is also a shorter glove box that comes with it and a wiring harness. The blower assemble is a little larger than the original so the glove box loses a little space.

We will keep taking pictures and eventually put together a gallery that details the installation.

cmoritz 02-24-2008 09:40 PM

That is a Great uprade Walston!! Cruise time will be so much more enjoyable! Keep us posted on the progress, I'm real interested how you do the vent install. Good Luck!!

tacson 02-25-2008 10:01 AM

Definitely keep us posted how she performs

bobbytnm 02-25-2008 01:25 PM

Great pics, good details.

this has all the makings for a great tech article.

Bobby

Walston 02-25-2008 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Great pics, good details.

this has all the makings for a great tech article.

Bobby

I agree, but it sure takes a long time to get them published, so first I will make sure it is at least we documented in my gallery.

DR Smith 02-25-2008 06:14 PM

It looks like a very good job,althought I am a little concerned with the alt mountting.It looks like you have a bolt on the top mount that goes threw the alt with a nut but no rear mount.I had mine like that and became worried that vibration might break the bolt.As this mostly happens when your on the road,I refabracated a rear mount to add more strenght.It will probalbly be ok ,Just something to think about,

Walston 02-25-2008 06:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There is a rear mount, it is difficult to see it in the photo. It is the one below. It mounts through the 2 bolts in the timing cover. I have it taken apart right now for painting of the brackets, once re-assembled I'll show it from both sides. :-X22