Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   4.6 in 54 F100 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/711601-4-6-in-54-f100.html)

Fifty4F100 02-23-2008 05:43 PM

4.6 in 54 F100

What would be the biggest problem with putting a 4.6 (or 5.4 if I can swing it) into my 54 F100? Does anyone make a plug & play wiring set for this? I had a 5.4 in a 2001 Excursion and it motivated that monster fine.

One thing I have heard as a problem is that the ECM needs the computer chip key to run. Is there any way around that?

Please don't tell me to keep the 239 Y block. It weighs within 15 pounds of a 460!

LEckart 02-23-2008 07:18 PM

You can purchase an aftermarket custom harness to make the mod motors run. They are kind of pricey at $1000-1200. They reprogram the ECU to get rid of the theft deterrent feature that works with the ignition plus eliminate some other unwanted features. You could also purchase all the wiring from a salvage yard or get a complete donor vehicle and make your own. I'm not smart enough to do that so I will be purchasing an after market harness for my Lightning 5.4, probably from The Detail Zone. I have heard rumors that Ford Motorsport might be offering something in the future but to date it just seems to be a rumor.

galaxie641 02-23-2008 08:06 PM

Check out the latest HotRod tech section, they installed Edelbrocks new ignition, fuel and intake system for the 5.4L, it can run COP's and a carb or EFI IIRC for around $800. They had a carb on their engine but I am pretty sure they mentioned an EFI setup that was available. Also Autokrafters has carb intakes for the modulars and might have ignition systems as well. http://www.autokrafters.com/

HT32BSX115 02-23-2008 10:58 PM

I had a 239 too. I'm going to put a rebuilt 292 in my 55 F-600 and I'm bolting it to a 90's E4OD (with an adapter) The engine is done...... Balanced and ported, with a 4160 Holly is should run fine.

There's nothing like the sound of a Y-block!

Cheers,

Rick

By the way, If you put a 5.4 in it get yourself a 4R100 to put behind it....then you can use the same ECU to run the engine and trans!

427SOHC 02-23-2008 11:28 PM

I have a 32v 4.6 installed in my 79 F100. I made up some custom tubular mount brackets for the engine and reused the original c-4 tranny bracket from the truck and am running Sanderson street rod headers. I am in the process of wiring it up now. I am reusing the factory harness from the Lincoln Mark 8 donor vehicle. I have lots to do but so far it is looking pretty good and I cant wait to drive it.

Pictures are in my gallery.

I priced the aftermarket wiring harness option and decided too keep the factory one and graft in my existing lights and some other stuff from the F100. I also purchased a wiring diagram for the Lincoln at www.ahdol.com for under 12.00 in pdf format. If anyone would like a free copy of it sed me a message with your email address and I will forward it. I also have diagrams for 95 Cougar and 97 Dodge 1500. They are all in color and very detailed approx 40-50 pages.

It would help if you can have a complete donor vehicle, this way you will have just about everything you need.

I had to use a 97 Mercury Mountaineer brake booster and master cylinder dur to other exstensive mods I am doing.

If you can make it to the F100 Supernationals in May I am sure there will be a few older trucks like yours with mod motors again this year, the people that have them are a great source of info too.

tacson 02-24-2008 02:33 AM

Glenn,

There is a guy in Mckenzie that has a 4.6 in a Panel truck and had it running. Also same place has a 03 Lightning motor going in a 56 BW. The computer is going to have be flashed but will be using the factory harness. So it can be done.

Truxx1956 02-24-2008 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by 427SOHC
I have a 32v 4.6 installed in my 79 F100. I made up some custom tubular mount brackets for the engine and reused the original c-4 tranny bracket from the truck and am running Sanderson street rod headers. I am in the process of wiring it up now. I am reusing the factory harness from the Lincoln Mark 8 donor vehicle. I have lots to do but so far it is looking pretty good and I cant wait to drive it.

Pictures are in my gallery.

I priced the aftermarket wiring harness option and decided too keep the factory one and graft in my existing lights and some other stuff from the F100. I also purchased a wiring diagram for the Lincoln at www.ahdol.com for under 12.00 in pdf format. If anyone would like a free copy of it sed me a message with your email address and I will forward it. I also have diagrams for 95 Cougar and 97 Dodge 1500. They are all in color and very detailed approx 40-50 pages.

It would help if you can have a complete donor vehicle, this way you will have just about everything you need.

I had to use a 97 Mercury Mountaineer brake booster and master cylinder dur to other exstensive mods I am doing.

If you can make it to the F100 Supernationals in May I am sure there will be a few older trucks like yours with mod motors again this year, the people that have them are a great source of info too.

DUDE!!! You do excellent work!!! I need you to come work for me! (LOL) I'd love to have the wiring diagrams you have? Up til recently I didnt have a very good opinon of 4.6's I worked at a Ford dealer when they first came out in the lincolns and they had alot of problems. A junkyard guy said that in the '98 up models they were alot better with hardly no problems at all. I do some pretty wild stuff too, check out my gallery. I'm considering using a 4.6 in one of my trucks? So YES I'd love to have a copy of your wiring diagrams when you get a chance.

Thanks and again, you do great work!!!!!

nytling92 02-25-2008 06:29 AM

Terry, I've been checking out the MODmotor board and it seems the 32 valve lincoln block from 93 until I don't know exactly what year is the most desirable one to have. Might be just the regular 4.6s that had the problem.

Truxx1956 02-25-2008 07:47 AM

Thats good to know Ward. I'll keep it in mind.

427SOHC 02-25-2008 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by nytling92
Terry, I've been checking out the MODmotor board and it seems the 32 valve lincoln block from 93 until I don't know exactly what year is the most desirable one to have. Might be just the regular 4.6s that had the problem.

Thanks for that bit of information, I have never had one of these motors before, a friend of mine had a 93 LM8 and drove it til it had 187,000 miles before selling it, his worst problem was the bad AC compressor when he sold it.

Truxx1956 02-25-2008 08:36 PM

Hey 427 I hear nothing but good things about the DOHC 4.6's but in the late 80's and early 90's lincolns they had some head problems and bottom end problems. But they say in the mid to later 90's they got the problems fixed. Especially good are the DOHC's:)

72-F100-4V 02-25-2008 08:52 PM

93 Mark VIII have the Teksid (spl) block. Which is a stouter aluminum casting.

The 2-valve 4.6's from 94-96 are not as desiralbe because of the heads, they are non PI heads. (Power Improved) These blocks are cast iron with aluminum heads. But the PI heads fit and you can even swap different intakes and get some decent power. There was a recent article in hot rod magazine, where they used a carb and got some good numbers!! They used a non PI motor, swapped to PI heads and carbed it.

Then you have the 4-valves in the Mach1's and Cobras, and the 97-98 Marks, and even the Mauraders.

Go to http://www.karkraft.com/ all of your questions can be answered here.

As for the wire harness issue, get a donor vehicle, pull everything, and then get a wiring diagram for that specific vehicle. You will have to have the ECU reflashed, but any good mustang or even TCCOA.com may be able to point you in the right direction.

keith56_cruz_cab 02-26-2008 12:36 AM

Hey It's alot of work but if I can do it so can you!

mytbtruck 02-26-2008 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Fifty4F100
What would be the biggest problem with putting a 4.6 (or 5.4 if I can swing it) into my 54 F100? Does anyone make a plug & play wiring set for this? I had a 5.4 in a 2001 Excursion and it motivated that monster fine.

One thing I have heard as a problem is that the ECM needs the computer chip key to run. Is there any way around that?

Please don't tell me to keep the 239 Y block. It weighs within 15 pounds of a 460!

I got a harness for my 4.6 I put in my 48. I believe after 1995 the ECM had security programed in them. After installing mine the engine ran fine The engine and ECM is from a 1995 T-bird. This a picture of the wiring under the passenger seat. The ECM and A/C module are installed on the left side. Also has diagonistic plug for you or a Ford dealer if needed.http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...R70Wwiring.jpg

mymerc 02-27-2008 02:30 AM

I'm working a little backwards as I picked up a Magnacharger blower set up that was designed to fit under the hood of a 1999-2003 F150. The kit comes complete with an intercooler, manifold, fuel rails and blower. Kit is supposed to add up 125HP to a stock 2valve 4.6 motor. Factory ratings are about 280 for the stock truck, but you can increase this with headers and other bolt ons.
New the kits are about $4200, but I got a slightly used one for $1000 complete.
Now I need to get a motor. Found one out of a 2001 yesterday with 32,000 for $1800 complete minus starter and alternator.
Mymerc