Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Michigan Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum85/)
-   -   Glow plugs and Injectors (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/710633-glow-plugs-and-injectors.html)

fphilli11 02-21-2008 09:58 AM

Glow plugs and Injectors

My 7.3 Escursion has 128,000 on it and runs great and starts fine. When should I think about replacing the injectors and glow plugs? Also I do not have an engine heater and it is rough stating in the winter below 15 degrees. I have tried to find a dip stick type heater but cannot find one long engough. Have any suggestions? Thanks.

tjbeggs 02-21-2008 06:37 PM

To test your glow plugs you need an ohm meter. Each valve cover has an electrical connector with 9 wires going to it. Remove those. Each valve cover will have 9 pins to test. Glow plugs are G and Injectors are I

G G I I I I I G G

So take your ohm meter with the black lead one battery ground and then touch the positive lead on each glow plug terminal. You reads should be around 5 ohms or less. If you have high ohms or OL readings that Glow plug or the under valve cover wiring is bad.

Glow plugs as well as Injectors really don't have a a set service life. I replace GP's as they go bad but I don't have to pay anybody to do the work. Injectors can go anywhere between 100,000 and 300,000. So unless you are having problems I wouldn't worry about the injectors, unless you want more power then upgrade!!

As for you block heater there are very very few that don't have block heaters. Are you sure you don't have one?

Here is a pic that will show where it would be
http://inlinethumb64.webshots.com/67...425x425Q85.jpg

Talyn 02-21-2008 08:30 PM

points for tim. if i could only give rep points for ya. haha

fphilli11 02-22-2008 08:23 AM

Glow plugs and injectors

Tjbeggs This is the best reply I have ever recieved on any forum. Thanks it is great. About the heater I will look but I do not have a plug up top. There is a couple of wires taped to a main harness on the drivers side cowl under the hood. I looked on the invoice and a heater was not called out. I did not order the truck, just got it new from dealer stock. Thanks again....

tjbeggs 02-22-2008 08:40 AM

The wires at the cowl are wires that were installed for the vehicle owner to add electrical accessories. They are blank on both ends and just pass thru the fire wall. Also the cords for the block heater can be hard to find. Not sure where they hide them on the SD/X's but if you do find the heater then you can trace the wiring. Also even if you don't have a block heater the hole will be there to add one. Check eBay as you can find them on there sometime for a pretty good price.

fphilli11 02-23-2008 03:40 PM

Thanks

Thanks you have been a great help.

tjbeggs 02-23-2008 03:45 PM

Glad to help!

bigredtruckmi 02-23-2008 06:52 PM

As long as it runs good and starts well. "don't mess with a good thing". Most will go from 150-200K. before having to do IP and injectors. If using good quality fuel.

fphilli11 02-24-2008 10:40 AM

block heater wire

ttbeggs
I finally got my fat butt under the Excursion and found I do have a heavy gauge red wire coming out of the oil filter housing. It goes up to the frame top and I cannot see were it goes. According to the picture in my owners manual the heater plug is suppose to be in the front drivers side lower grille at the tow hook opening. There is nothing that I can see except for a harness under the fog lamp opening. Can you help me one more time? Thanks.

officer131 02-25-2008 02:19 AM

I have an X, and my plug is on the drivers side tow hook opening. Mine when I purchased the vehicle was tucked underneath the opening right behind it. Then it was zipped tied around its self. You can try to look from the under side and try to find it or watch your hand and run the fingers behing the facia/bumper.

fphilli11 02-25-2008 08:50 AM

Block heater

Thanks for the note back. I will look again under and behind the tow hook opening. I have looked and felt that whole area and the only harness I can find I think is the fog lamp harness. Is the wire for the heater cover in convelute or is it a plain plug wire? The wire coming off the oil filter housing is red. The only red wire that I can see coming from under the engine is the postitve battery cable on the drivers side. Thanks again.

officer131 02-25-2008 09:54 AM

I can't remember what color the wire is. I only looked underneath for a little bit. I just purschased the X in Oct. Next time I go to my truck I'll look to see what color the wire is though. I would think it would be the same color as to where you would use the three pronge plug. I know it has the plastic wrap around the wire then it was zipped tied. I think my harness was totally seperate from the fog light.

fphilli11 02-25-2008 03:20 PM

block heater

Thanks I will keep looking. It has got to be there somewhere. I know sometimes at the assembly plant wires and connectors sometimes get mis-routed or stowed in the wrong position depending on wheather the opperators have been trainned or not. I worked for Ford for over 28 years, retired 7 years ago, they call me back every year to help out on new model launches. Thanks again for the help.