Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Colorado Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum81/)
-   -   Motor knocks when cold (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/707191-motor-knocks-when-cold.html)

Cow Hauler 02-12-2008 10:48 PM

Motor knocks when cold

I have a 05 F350 4X4 DRW that makes a knocking or heavy valve tick noise would be the best way to describe it, when the motor is cold and first started. When I say cold I mean 20 degree's or colder.
Once the motor runs for a little bit the noise fades away.
If the truck is pligged in it very rarely makes this noise.
Has any body had this problem?
The truck doesn't have any upgrades.
I took it to one dealer and they said that they could not hear anything, But you would have to be deaf not to hear it.
I think am going to get a 2nd opinion from another dealer.
Any input would be apprecieated.

BillyBob69 02-13-2008 07:52 AM

The oil is still too cold to flow to all the parts that need it. When cold, it is like a gel and just doesn't get spread around that easily. As it warms up, it starts flowing and quieting all the parts. If you can plug it in, then do so. Cold starts are one of the engines worst enemies.

Cow Hauler 02-13-2008 09:31 AM

Thanks BillyBob 69.
I am running Rotella 15w40 do you think it would be better to go to 10w30 in the winter time?
Thanks.

BillyBob69 02-13-2008 10:05 AM

I run the Rotella 15-40 all year with no problems. You could switch to a thinner oil for the winter but remember that when it heats up, it then has less protection for your internal parts. Depending on how hard you use your truck, it may not matter.

Cow Hauler 02-13-2008 06:04 PM

Thanks for your input.
Keep it between the lines!

BillyBob69 02-13-2008 10:14 PM

Oh I know it may seem trivial, but also make sure you aren't low on oil.

Cow Hauler 02-14-2008 12:27 AM

Thanks.
I am right at the full mark.
This weekend I am going to take it to another dealer and see what they say.
I have 4 6.0 at work and my Dad has one as well and none of them sound like mine when they are started cold.
If this dealer can't find anything I guess I will just have to live with it.

BillyBob69 02-14-2008 08:48 AM

Get a real long extension cord an plug it in. Makes a difference on cold mornings. I have a 100ft cord going to mine from the house.

DND58 02-14-2008 02:33 PM

Cow Hauler, you might try 5-40 synthetic next oil change. Mine seems to turn over easier and no romps.

Cow Hauler 02-14-2008 02:40 PM

Thanks for the tip DND58.
I have been nervouse about trying synthectics because I have heard that once you start using them you can't go back to regular oil without risking damage to your motor. I don't know if that is true or not but that is what I have heard.
What are the pro's and con's that you have noticed?

DND58 02-14-2008 03:03 PM

I've heard the same rumors. Many guys in the 7.3 L section disagree. I switched in fall 07 thinking it would reduce injector clatter. I didn't notice much quieter, but my ears are not all that good anymore. Pro's are it spins over faster and fires easier in the cold. Con's are about 2X $$ per oil change. You might try a search through the diesel section on synthetic.

Cow Hauler 02-14-2008 06:08 PM

Thanks for the feed back.
It will be interesting to see what the other dealer says about it. My Dad used to work with some of the guys at this other dealer so I am hoping with that connection they will try a little harder to see what is wrong.
If they say nothing is wrong I am seriously going to consider going with some thinner oil.
It makes me cringe everytme I have to start it when it is not plugged in.
I am hoping they tell me it needs a new motor since it is still under warrenty. That would be sweet!! Ha Ha!!
Have a good one!

Colo79Ford 02-14-2008 11:29 PM

I dont run a diesel but i have switched back and forth from synthetic to synthetic blends to conventional oils with no problems with the engine or excessive wear at all.

Cow Hauler 02-15-2008 07:11 PM

I talked to Ford today and they told me to run either a 10w30 or a synthetic 5w40.
They said that some of the cold start noises have been from the oil being to thick just like you all have said.
Tomorrow I will change the oil and see if that helps. Ford said if it still makes noise after the oil change then to bring it in and they would take a look at it.
Thanks for the pointers everybody!

Cow Hauler 02-16-2008 11:54 PM

Well, I put in the synthetic oil today and it is still making the noise. It helped a little bit but not very much. So the truck is going to ford on Monday.
If anybody is curious I will let you know what Ford finds.