Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Flathead V8 & Flathead 6 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum57/)
-   -   53 flathead v8 overheating question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/706781-53-flathead-v8-overheating-question.html)

low54 02-11-2008 10:29 PM

53 flathead v8 overheating question

Hey fella's I know this is a truck site which I have a '54 f-100. However, I just purchased a 53 Customline coupe with a flathead V8. The seller had no issues with overheating but as I was driving it home it started to overheat...significanly. I pulled the thermastat's, however, it continued to overheat and boil over...The seller stated he had put new water pumps in it...The raidiator hadn't been an issue...Do ya think It is? and needs to be rooted?...The car is miles away from its home unsafe and I'm frustrated as to what the heck is up! thanks fella's

merlynr 02-12-2008 10:21 AM

Radiator hoses collapsing. V belt slipping. Trailer it home.

mtflat 02-12-2008 10:52 AM

Sorry man - it happens. When it's all good this will be a memory that makes you grin. Hang in there!

Speed equals heat - how hard were you pushing it? Merlynr's comments are good, but be careful about tight Vbelts. They need 3/4" deflection or you'll burn up the wp, generator and fan bearings. Not as tight as modern stuff is right on.

But even then it shouldn't be overheating. Common causes are timing being retarded, block being full of sand/slag or the radiator plugged up. Previous owners have been known to lie thru their teeth....even after the sale :)

IF the nub that rubs on the dist cam wears off it acts to retard the timing also. Check your point gap first. They might not be opening enough .015 is what you want.

And, while I have done the same thing in your spot, they actually run cooler with the T stats in place if everything else is up to snuff. Drill a couple of 1/8" holes in the rim of the stats 180 deg apart - it allows the coolant to percolate back to the rad as it fills. It'll keep it from running hot while the stats open the first time.

low54 02-12-2008 11:36 PM

Thanks for all the info, I'm trailering it back, Have a rad shop to flow test, I'll look at everthing else you suggested and post a report...again thanks

55 f350 02-14-2008 07:46 PM

mine gives me fits like that from time to time yet and i cant quite put my finger on it . come good weather i'm gonna pull the radiator as it needs to have a leak soldered , and recored { yes i'd rather that than one of the new units } , and replace everything in the system again including a set of the new water pumps offered by some of advertiser / sponsors , and hope for the best . there isn't a dain thing wrong on the old girl and ran in the most extreme heat without issue then on the way home from the last show she boiled over again . dunno these ol' flatties can be particular !!!!!!!!!!:-X15

low54 02-15-2008 10:50 PM

well, I flushed out the rad and engine with a NAPA rad flush, put new 180 degree therms in new gaskets and walla! its stays under 190, and seems to be running great! okey< on with the next thing/s

leonharu 02-25-2008 09:32 PM

Which is way is advancing and retarding timing on flat head?

F6Guy 02-25-2008 10:10 PM

turn opposite of the dist. rotation to advance, turn with dist. rotation to retard.