Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum53/)
-   -   460 Heads (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/70512-460-heads.html)

Ron 11-15-1999 08:17 PM

460 Heads

I am looking for a set of mild performance heads for my 460. Preferably aluminum but not necessary. All of the heads I have found are more for the higher RPM type 460. Does anyone make a set of heads for torque, low rpm, truck type. I would like a set of Edelbrock performer heads but they dont make them.

Deen Hylton 11-17-1999 07:44 AM

460 Heads

I think your out of luck on this one...of course Ford is making the aluminum version of the old Cobra Jet heads but they're over $2,000 a set and are not for low RPM usage. Your best bet would be to find a set of "Police Intercepter" heads that were put out a few years around 1972 through 1974. They had the large valves of the Cobra-Jets but had the small ports for more torque. Depending on what year your truck is a stock head can make at least 450-500 HP with the right cam, intake, carb, headers, etc. A set of Cobra-Jets will bump you up to 600-625 HP max and a set of "TFS" heads will give an easy 725 HP...but again that's not for street use! If you have a 1989 or later truck you need to find an earlier set of heads. Mid 1989 Ford reduced the exhaust port size and in the early 90's Ford made them smaller still. Those smaller exhaust ports just "chokes the life" out of the newer engines. Give us more info on exactly what the truck is used for and what you currently have (type of tranny, gear ratio, tire size, year, carb or injected, etc.). Deen

Eric 11-18-1999 07:19 PM

460 Heads

What I did for my 460 was use a set of early 429 heads such as dove-c heads they work with srew in studs and guide plates they also have bigger valves than the stock 460 they will increase compression but do not hurt bottom end power that much the trade ok is well worth it just port match the intake ports and remove some of the bumps from the exhaust passage and you are all set
hope this helps

Steve 11-24-1999 05:48 AM

460 Heads

Look in a summit race catalog they have edelbrock, world performance makes a set also, i have a 460 that is in a 93 cougar it is making over 650 hp with the edlebrock heads no problems for this season, cobra jet heads are a waste of money the roof of the intake runner is way to high they cause problems on the bottom end ane they don't flow as well as the after market heads, if you are restoring a car that may be the way to go but to pay that over price is a waste of money in my opion, p.s my car runs high 9's with out the spray, and 9'20's with the spray, good luck,

Deen Hylton 11-26-1999 07:58 AM

460 Heads

>Look in a summit race catalog they
>have edelbrock, world performance makes a
>set also, i have a 460
>that is in a 93 cougar
>it is making over 650 hp
>with the edlebrock heads no problems
>for this season, cobra jet heads
>are a waste of money the
>roof of the intake runner is
>way to high they cause problems
>on the bottom end ane they
>don't flow as well as the
>after market heads, if you are
>restoring a car that may be
>the way to go but to
>pay that over price is a
>waste of money in my opion,
>p.s my car runs high 9's
>with out the spray, and 9'20's
>with the spray, good luck,
Steve, what is the part # on the heads your running? As far as I can find in the web- pages Edelbrock does not make a 460 head (just small block and 390-428 FE series) The other mfg. you listed "World Performance" leads to Competiton Cams and they show no heads at all in their web-site. If you mean "World Products" I can not find their web-site and any of the catologues I have do not list a head for a 460 from them either. If there is a low-performance replacement "street" 460 head out there, there are a number of us who would like to know. Deen

Ron 11-26-1999 09:11 AM

460 Heads

the edelbrock head he is speaking of is the edelbrock performer RPM aluminum head. It is supposed to be released approx dec time frame. Havent actually seen one advertised yet. Even still I would not consider the edelbrock RPM heads a low rpm torque truck type head. You would think with trucks being about the most popular vehical on the road these days that somebody would make the type of head that would benifit the bottom end of the powerband.

Mike S 11-27-1999 06:17 PM

460 Heads

Steve, did you find a kit to put that 460 in a 93 Cougar? I would like to find kit to put 460 in late model Mustang. Anyone know if L&L has a web site - they used to provide a lot of conversion kits. Thanks

steve 11-29-1999 02:00 PM

460 Heads

What kit there is no kit avaiable for cougars they are for the stangs i guess that is the only race car out there , sorry a little bitter,tired of hearing all about stangs and nothing else!! I made the front and mid plate, bent the cage and put a ford 9 inch in it runs on 9 or 10 inch slicks, i am still only using first stage of bottle two more to go hope to get in the mid 8's next year, my cay is very low buck i made almost everything for it all the stuff is for mustangs only.There is a place in pennsylvania that does a lot with the fox chassis i will look for them if i can remember the name.

Steve 11-29-1999 02:10 PM

460 Heads

Here are the part numbers but don't get to happy they won't be ou to the public till jan 2000 6066 95 cc chambers, 6067 75 cc chambers, Mine where proto types i thought that they had been released to the public but i guess not i called my friend at summit they will have them first . good luck, Rpm heads used with a dual plane intake are very low end, with the 460 you should be able to move a house !!!! be carful on the package you use and you will be vey happy, careful parts selction is very important,many motors have be built, that used mis-matched cams and intake and the out come is alwasy the owner in un-happy, do the ground work now and the result will be much better

big60 04-07-2000 08:09 AM

460 Heads

Ron,
for pure bottom end brute torque, (upper rpm h.p. sacrifice), you may want to check out later model 460 heads for the fuel injected trucks. These heads use smaller valves & intake ports for max velocity & brute torque. The intake manifold may be a trick if you are carbureted because these later model heads had a different intake bolt pattern than the old carbureted 460's. Ford used smaller ports/valves when these engines were installed in severe-duty dump trucks & such.
You will not be set up to win races, but it should have an incredible torque curve.

Ron 04-07-2000 02:58 PM

460 Heads

You know this is basically exactly what I want, If I could bolt up a Edlelbrock performer intake to the heads you describe I would go find a pair.

Ron 04-07-2000 02:58 PM

460 Heads

You know this is basically exactly what I want, If I could bolt up a Edlelbrock performer intake to the heads you describe I would go find a pair.

TBirdGuy 04-24-2000 06:26 PM

460 Heads

Your best bet would be getting pre-73' heads. Don't bother with the Police Interceptor heads, they're not worth the price you'd have to pay. Get a set of heads like I said and just have larger valves installed. You'll have higher compression and more power in the bottom end.

f100467 05-29-2000 11:05 AM

460 Heads

If you are only looking for torque a set of mildly ported stock heads will produce 500 to 600 ft lbs at around 4500 rpm

FE427TP 06-26-2000 12:23 AM

460 Heads

from what I have heard the new Edelbrock Performer RPM heads are supposed to fill the area between stock and the Cobra Jet heads