Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum53/)
-   -   460 Mass Air Flow conversion kits (We have a winner!) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/70202-460-mass-air-flow-conversion-kits-we-have-a-winner.html)

shami02 05-16-2001 08:57 AM

460 Mass Air Flow conversion kits (We have a winner!)

Ooookey'Dokey guys, as those of you who follow this board regularly know several of us (specifically Dusty, Xavier (Ed), and myself and I think there were some others I don't remember) have been fighting the fact that the aftermarket market doesn't believe 460 truck owners want or need performance parts. Specifically we were working toward converting our beasties to MAF. Dusty and I have decided on a vendor, for a conversion kit. To let you know Granatelli quit selling their conversion, Turbo Connections (#####. Louis) is very over priced for what they include in their kit. There is another company Pro-Flow which I do not know much about, I have had a real hard time getting information from them (draw you own conclusions here). Dusty tried to create a conversion from scratch (see other posts this site). We have both decided on a company called Interactive Systems Technologies contact info is For Information & Orders: (800) 820-1082 Tech Line: (770) 720-1259 FAX: (770) 720-1249. Their kit is very complete their price (so far) is fair (somewhere between $1000.00 and $1700.00 depending on options and transmission). I am attempting to workout a discount for FTE members and Ken is also going to call after the Super Nationals are over for a club discount. Also there is the possibility of a group purchase discount if we have enough interest. Post here if you are interested or contact me via email directly at meshaffer at mindspring.com if you are interested in a group purchase I would like to save a few bucks for us all. so please respond. Dusty already ordered his kit, and promised to post results when is has it installed... But I spoke with the tech from Interactive a few times and they really know their stuff. This is without a doubt the best MAF conversion for the 460's we are going to find. So let get together and do a group buy so we al can save some $'s and get the benefit of MAF on our trucks.. I await your posts..

Have a Great Day,
Mike
95 F350 Dually

ddestruel 05-16-2001 10:02 PM

Hello fellow Big Block fans, Mikes right and i think that we're on the right track. Like he says ill keep you all posted to the best of my ability. We may have finally found the final link in breating new ideas and life back into the big block brainstorm. Fuel injection w/ infinite possibilities ouch look out.

Catch y'all latter,
becareful if you guys get too crazy and make too many Chevy Owners cry they might outlaw this type of stuff....LOL. like they did the boss motors and hemi's.

Dusty

DeGideo 08-31-2001 07:28 PM

Finally,more people like me who believe the EFI460 has loads of hidden potential!I have a '94 F-250 4X4 pickup with a Vortech force-fed EFI460.It also has a RV-type Crane Cams cam, 3"dual exhaust, an open-element K&N filter,9MM Motorsport plug wires,MSD ignition, and a Hypertech power module("chip").The power it has is AWESOME! So much so, that recently,the STOCK E4OD's torque convertor went(DOH!)I hope to fix it soon...another project is started. I'll be putting a EFI460&E4OD into my '90 Bronco...hopefully by Nov.2001.A friend of mine(another Ford nut)said,"Tom, imagine the combination you have in your pickup in a 104.7" wb Bronco!" For now, let's concentrate on getting a EFI 385-series big-block in there,okay?! A MAF460 Bronco?HHHMMMM.....Ford really dropped the ball,so to speak, for late-model EFI460 owners! OH, PLEASE DON"T GET ME STARTED! "There is no market for late-model 460 stuff, Mr. DeGideo."My question always was HOW MANY VEHICLES WERE POWERED BY EFI460s FROM mid-87(April 1) to 1996-yet no market exists?! Back in early '94 I had a buddy who worked for FoMoCo who told me his boss said Ford could "special order" me a EFI460 Bronco XLT. After six frustrating months I bought my 460 pickup,instead.They were none too pleased for the inquiry.A 460 Bronco???!!! Why would I need such power? Uh, it wasn't a matter of "need",you know? I heard a rumor that all '96 EFI460 engines had MAF. Something to do with OBD-II,so maybe you could check into it. MAP(speed density) is okay, but more boost(11 psi),460CJ heads, and more camshaft means MAF is needed.Does anybody offer a set of slicks for a 3/4 ton "work truck"(ha!ha!)?!I saw a really cool-looking '90 Alpine green metallic F-350 DRW dumptruck(4X4) for sale,recently. Gee, I wonder what it would take to get it into the 13s? You can best bet it'll feature MAF! Take care guys.

f350brocno 09-02-2001 12:07 PM

I heard a rumor that all '96 EFI460 engines had MAF. Something to do with OBD-II,so maybe you could check into it.

From what I could find. All EFI 460's were SD except 1996 E350 chassis trucks sold only in CA. There may be a motorhome with MAF as well. Your Ford dealer can give you the part numbers for the CA EEC units. There are two part numbers, one auto and one manual I think?) The problem with these units is they are EEC-V not EEC-IV. That is, they are OBD-II. These newer computers have many more sensors and actuators to hookup. (like 3 O2 sensors). So the exra parts cost and engine wiring is a major pain.

John

shami02 09-04-2001 08:01 AM

My 95 F350 DRW (Pickup) 460 E4OD easily runs in the 13's... I tow my race car to the track with it and if I lose or break something... Look out ETK, I enter my PU just for something to do for the rest of the day.... Granted I have done quite a bit of work to the monster but it is a Lightning eater... I like to call it thunder (you know the big boom that just blows lightning away!) As soon as I can afford the Kenne Bell I am hoping for high 11's (at least mid 12's anyway).... Good luck with the MFI BB Fords gentlemen, they are worth it... BTW Start out with the heads there is a lot of HP in there....

Have a great day!
Mike
95 F-350 Extended Cab Dually 460/E4OD
Too much done to list here but I'll be glad to share if you ask me!

big4294x4 09-04-2001 04:30 PM

Mad_scientist_custom 09-30-2009 09:42 PM

Hi. I have a question for you that I hope you can help me out with. I have a 93 Bronco that I just put a 93 460 with the E40D in. I want to use the MAF conversion kit with a supercharger. Yes we are after power. My question is does anyone have experience with the Tweecer program and a MAF conversion? And will the MAF conversion support 512 cid?

Fordbidden 10-16-2009 04:40 PM

Group buy in.....

My kit will cost $2049.95 94' 7.5l / E4OD, I could buy another complete running truck for that kinda $$$. I've researched and found that you can get their ( interactive systems technologies ) " transmission controller for $ 429.95 and find all the used 88-up mustang EFI crap for dirt cheap !! Let me know what you guy's think about this because I'm hurt'n for an upgrade and future hp mods. I would hate to go back to a carburator:-X01

Mad_scientist_custom 10-17-2009 07:24 PM

:-headbang

Originally Posted by Fordbidden (Post 8042044)
My kit will cost $2049.95 94' 7.5l / E4OD, I could buy another complete running truck for that kinda $$$. I've researched and found that you can get their ( interactive systems technologies ) " transmission controller for $ 429.95 and find all the used 88-up mustang EFI crap for dirt cheap !! Let me know what you guy's think about this because I'm hurt'n for an upgrade and future hp mods. I would hate to go back to a carburator:-X01

Yes you could get a whole new truck for that kind of change but you would still be without the MAF computer. I also thought about using the 5.0 EFI stuff but what about the tuneability of it all? We are definatly going bigger than stock or what Ford ever thought about doing with these motors. And they have given me hope for running EFI in my 82 Bronco and my wifes Ranger.

Conanski 10-17-2009 10:08 PM

There is no virtually no limit to what you can do once you have a tuner like the Tweecer, a 5.0 SEFI computer calibrated for 19lb injectors and a 55mm MAF meter becomes a 7.5 SEFI computer calibrated for 30lb injectors and a 90mm MAF in about as long as it takes to type in those parameters and press "burn".

Mad_scientist_custom 10-19-2009 09:00 PM

:-bangheadBut is the 5.0 computer a true sequential fire computer or is it a batch fire?

cbrady 03-30-2014 05:37 PM

May I ask what all you did to get all that power from your 460?

cbakker 03-31-2014 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by cbrady (Post 14215141)
May I ask what all you did to get all that power from your 460?

You are barking up an old tree here.

There are very many different ways to get more power out of your 460.