Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   fog light switch (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/692250-fog-light-switch.html)

Paul Moody 01-06-2008 12:51 PM

fog light switch

My 2000 powerstroke has a pull out function on the headlight switch. I currently have no fog lamps on my truck and would like to add them. Does this switch controll fog light function and is there just a wiring harness I could plug new fog lamps into? I have a 98 Expedition and this is how the factory fog lamps are switched on.

Thanks!
Paul

F350-6 01-06-2008 03:10 PM

The pull out switch should mean you have the fog light switch. Pop the switch out of the dash and use a test light/multi-meter on the wires to see where the hot wire is with the switch pulled out to the fog light position.

On my 02 it was one of the wires in the lower plug. You can stick a probe in the back of the plug and get a reading on the wires. I just cut and spliced my hot wire to power my fog lights since I don't know where the wires go from there. I added a in line fuse to be safe, but my fog lights stay on with my high beams this way.

gunnertom 01-06-2008 03:21 PM

I'am not 100% on this but I think the wires go to the front of the truck an are pluged off.Look an see if you can find some pluged off wires up front were the fog lights should be an check for power with the switch pulled out.

farmdad 01-06-2008 09:17 PM

On my '03 there is a wire behind the license plate spot on the front bumper that goes from one fog light to the other. It has the black hard plastic wrap on it. Check to see if yours has this wire with plugged ends and then check for power. You may have to put in a fuse in the fog light circuit to activate these connections.

dieseloholic 01-06-2008 10:04 PM

my switch pulls out too, but I never thought that the wires may be in place. I'm gonna check on that tomorrow. Thanks guys.

SpringerPop 01-07-2008 12:51 AM

On a 2000, the switch pulls out, but there is nothing electrical that happens.

I have had one apart in an attempt to plan some other features into it.

If anyone is interested, I can post some photos of a 2000's switch disassembled.

Worst of all, on most of the later-year switches that actually do have an electrical switch associated with the pull-out action, the connectors on the rear are completely different and won't directly plug into a 2000's harness. However, I have not verified a switch from a 2001, so it may have the same connectors.

Pop

spdmpo 02-06-2010 11:53 AM

Pop, this is a pretty old post, but I'm about wire up some fog lights on my 2000. I got a new model bumper, some lights and a knowledge of wiring/relays etc. Have you found anything different about the headlight switch? So when I pull out the headlight switch, there won't even be a hot lead that I could use to activate a relay? Bummer, I don't want to have to add a switch in the cab for fog lights. My I'll just wire them in to come on when the parking lights come on.

SpringerPop 02-06-2010 12:37 PM

Nope. There is nothing inside a 2000 switch that does anything at all to activate anything.

It just pulls out, and I don't know why it even does that, given the design.

Triggering the relay with the park lamp feed is a good way!

Pop

spdmpo 02-06-2010 04:55 PM

Dang it, I assumed way to much when I started this project of adding factory fog lights. I assumed they'd bolt right on the bumper, the wiring would be there, etc. I found out I need a later bumper, a harness, lights, and now some creative wiring. I figured, hey, the light switch pulls out like every other Ford I've had with driving lights, this one must be set up for it too. Oh well....

SpringerPop 02-06-2010 06:22 PM

Please tell me about the bumper needing to be "later".

I, too, have a problem mounting the OEM brackets to mine.

Pop

spdmpo 02-06-2010 08:17 PM

Well I just picked up one that came of an 02 today. It appears the inside lips at the top and bottom are larger, more meat to be able to secure the light brackets too. Other than that looks to be the same. But if you give me a day or two, I'll have the other one off and I'll photo them side by side. If they aren't then I just wasted a few $ on a bumper I don't need, lol.
Actually this one is interesting, because it's got some kind of front air dam extension on it that mine doesn't have. A good 2" lower than my bumper.

shannos 03-19-2010 05:01 PM

bumper pic?

So, did you take pictures of the two bumpers? I assumed too much too, with my pull-out switch on my '99. Just bought fogs today to find out I have no wiring and probably the wrong bumper too-

crum71 03-21-2010 04:31 AM

2000 models didn't come with driving lights. 2001 up did. Ive been through this before,so I had a buddy get me the wiring off of a wreck truck to make it work,just had to wire in a harness to match up what he gave me. Other than that,it works fine. I'm thinking about redoing it,to where the low beems are on,they will be also

rbaker6336 03-21-2010 08:09 AM

The local Ford parts guy told me they made 2 different bumpers in 2000 one for light one with out ( sounded dumb to me).Maybe partsguy ed knows for sure
I have saw 2000s with driving lights.The retro kit from Ford comes with a new switch and harness but is pricey.I don't know what it did for a bumper,it wasn't included in the kit
I've had a new set of new lights laying on the shelf for 8 years with no place to bolt bottom of bracket and too lazy to build anything and wasn't going to buy a new bumper,the one on there is still doing a good job

SpringerPop 03-21-2010 12:47 PM

Ray,

I am in exactly the same place you are, for exactly the same reasons.

The difference is that I've only had my lights for about four years. :)

When I get that Round Tuit.......

Pop