Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alaska Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum152/)
-   -   Diesel Fuel Additive and Cold Weather (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/688511-diesel-fuel-additive-and-cold-weather.html)

05F350CC 12-27-2007 04:48 AM

Diesel Fuel Additive and Cold Weather

Hi All,
Since the new ULSD fuel has come to my area and all the local stations are using it, I have been using the Ford additives in both my 6.0 and 6.4 diesels. In the warmer weather (summer) I use the Cetane Booster & Performance Improver (red cap) and in the winter I use the Anti Gel & Performance Improver (blue cap).
My question has to do with the Anti Gel stuff. This past week it has gotten down to -35 degrees F here in Fairbanks and I found my Anti Gel was thick as peanut butter! It didn't flow out of the bottle when turned upside down until I brought it indoors and warmed it up!
Was this a bad bottle or is this what I can expect to happen. If this happens in the bottle, what's it doing in my tank? And lastly, what is everyone else using that deals with cold weather? I don't want to get stranded 'cause my fuel has frozen!

greythorn3 12-27-2007 05:12 AM

i put about a soda can of 2 stroke oil in my tank now along with the winter pwer service to keep the lube up and the anti gel. thats why i use the walmart POWERSERVICE for winter.. everyone brags about how good theirs is but powerservice is the only one i have seen not slush up inside the bottle in the back of my truck.

Ray

mlb4966 12-28-2007 01:01 AM

If it get that cold here I would have to turn on the heat in the garage. I have been running powerservice for years and have never had any issues when driving through the interior when its cold.

Really? Two stroke in the fuel burner. I have not heard of that one yet. Any issues with the injectors?

greythorn3 12-28-2007 01:05 AM

no issues,,, lots of people do it.. since they took out the lube in ultra low sulfar diesel.. its killing pumps so you better put some in with every tank.. unless you like wore pumps.

Ray

mlb4966 12-28-2007 11:12 PM

SOOOO is that a quart every 29 gallons or 39 gallongs. I have honestley been doubling by powerservice dose per tank.

Mike B

greythorn3 12-28-2007 11:59 PM

i put same ammout of 2 stroke oil with powerservice. if you take a old powerservice bottle and add 1/2 power service, and 1/2 2 stroke oil, then its already to go for you. just pour about 8 oz of that with 20 gallons, been working for me.

Ray

Twin Tritons 01-01-2008 07:15 PM

I've seen the Stanadyne and Power Service get thick also when it is straight in the bottle. I believe that when mixed with diesel it lowers the pour point, kind of like gycol must mix with water before it offers freeze protection. I usually keep it in the garage until I plan on fuelling up then take the bottle with me to the pump.

Beware, when it was -40F I saw that the Gas Line still had #2 diesel in their tanks. They did post up this info, but I wonder how many people gelled their fuel tanks? I had some #2 left in my skidsteer loader and it wouldn't start. I added 5 gallons of #1 and some Stanadyne but this didn't solve the problem. I finally added PowerService 9-1-1 and was able to start it. It didn't run great, but good enough to pull it in the garage.

mnmwhit 01-01-2008 07:18 PM

I use the Ford stuff too and yes it does get thick on its own when you let it get cold. But I pour it in the tank and I have been doing good with it for the second year now. The test data from comsumer reports said that it lowers the pour point by 30'.

05F350CC 01-01-2008 07:31 PM

Thanks everyone who replied to this thread...glad to see I'm not alone in this matter! Guess I will do as suggested and just carry the bottle of Ford stuff with me to the pump and pour it warm. Now I just need to save up a few "empties" so I can have one ready at all times instead of trying to gauge how much to add each time from a full bottle! It's easier to pre-measure into the old bottles than to figure out how many tankfuls I can get out of one new bottle of the stuff!

evictorwalli 02-26-2008 10:49 PM

I am not pushing this product and I hate MLM's but on the way through Palmer a few months ago I stopped in at an Amsoil Dealer to see what it was all about. I decided to try the Deisel Additive. I noticed right away that I had more power.

On my next trip to Valdez (500 Miles O/W) I logged about a 1.5-2 mpg better fuel milage. What really impressed me was on the way out of Valdez. I was able to pull Thompson Pass in 5 gear, 60 mph and still gaining speed. In the past I would be lucky to be in 3rd at 35 mph. On the return trip I logged an even 2 mpg increase and she has steadied out there. I'm pushing 20 mpg in a F-250 something I thought was amazing.

evictorwalli 02-26-2008 10:54 PM

My father gets the Stanadyne fuel treatment in bulk for less than half of what I paid for the Amsoil so I'm going to give it a try.

My FIL is a logger and most everything he has runs on deisel. He not only burn 2-stroke in his vehicles he mixes his used oil into the deisel and burns it as well. He has been doing this for years and his skidders, semi's, Dodge Cummins, and all the rest work fine. He sweares by it.

05F350CC 02-27-2008 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by evictorwalli
My FIL is a logger and most everything he has runs on deisel. He not only burn 2-stroke in his vehicles he mixes his used oil into the deisel and burns it as well. He has been doing this for years and his skidders, semi's, Dodge Cummins, and all the rest work fine. He sweares by it.

Well I may try mixing in 2-stroke in my 6.0 in the future, but I doubt I'll do it to the new 6.4...too many sensors and computer thingies that wouldn't like it!

I do miss the old carbuerated vehicles - they were less particular and more forgiving than the trucks of nowadays. With these new trucks, you're lucky if you can wash them without having some kind of trouble!