Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum171/)
-   -   cat c7 7.2l (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/682699-cat-c7-7-2l.html)

ford4x4s 12-09-2007 09:39 AM

cat c7 7.2l

i wouldnt mind this engine in a superduty, has some nice numbers. i understand it would bebe near impossible for cat to comply with emissions, and meet the supply demand for ford, but i think its might take something this drastic for ford to bounce back after the last two motors. just for the record i dont hold ih responsibe, i believe navistar is caught in a nasty tug of war between emission standards and horsepower ratings and i'm sure they are doing the best that they can with what the guidelines they have to work with, lets not forget the 6.9 and 7.3 we were graced with for 20 years. just my humble opinion.
http://ohe.cat.com/cda/layout?m=85540&x=7

nevrenufhp 12-09-2007 09:50 AM

The C7 is already in the F650's, no chance of it going in anything smaller unless someone swaps one in. It's actually not the most durable engine for that class of truck, but not all that bad.

Kenworth 12-09-2007 07:28 PM

The most reliable medium duty engine is the 466E but its too heavy for light truck market. The 3126 (C7) has some problems it uses the same HEUI fuel system as Ford.

ford4x4s 12-10-2007 04:57 PM

sounds like fork working in house is the best bet right now, unless navistar has some ace in their back pocket we dont know about. i wish we could have an inline no matter where it comes from. sounds like that john goodwin has some good ideas maybe ford should chat with him.

rollerstud98 12-10-2007 05:14 PM

the 6.4's have been pretty damn good

SUPERDUTY_untouchabl 12-14-2007 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by ford4x4s
, but i think its might take something this drastic for ford to bounce back after the last two motors.

What two are you reffering too? I no your talking about the 6.0l teething problems but im curios as to what other motor your talking about?

westtntrucker 12-14-2007 10:39 PM

Cat has Said many times over, they are not interested in getting into the light pick-up market. Cat likes to keep their warranty work inhouse through local cat dealers, not stealerships. They would defiantly give Cummins a run for the money.

rob_nc 12-15-2007 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by westtntrucker
Cat has Said many times over, they are not interested in getting into the light pick-up market. Cat likes to keep their warranty work inhouse through local cat dealers, not stealerships. They would defiantly give Cummins a run for the money.

I disagree. The only thing they have going for them is their name. Cummins is miles ahead on the technology front.

westtntrucker 12-15-2007 08:11 AM

Your right. What i was saying, Cat has the name following that is almost religious. Guys would buy it for name recognition only. I drive a KW T600 with a C-13 Cat in it. I hate it. I would rather be able to have a Cummins, but, the cat c-13 is lighter than cummins with the same HP ratings. We are bulk haulers so the lighter the truck = more payload. I deliver into strip mines where Cat is the main name in equipment and the guys who operate them would buy up the cat motor powered pickups like little girls buying up hanna montana junk!

ford4x4s 12-15-2007 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by SUPERDUTY_untouchabl
What two are you reffering too? I no your talking about the 6.0l teething problems but im curios as to what other motor your talking about?

i was refering to the 6.0 and 6.4 (so far) around here all i hear about is that their trucks are always in the shop. my friend traded his 07 in for a dodge, (which he says doesnt pull nearly as well as the ford) i would hope the 6.4 turns out better, but even if it does, ford coming out with an in house motor doesnt exactly give me much faith in the 6.4. im not trying to be offensive, just my opinion based on info i have.

BLK94F150 12-15-2007 04:01 PM

From what I've heard and experienced, the 6.4 is an awesome engine and hasn't had any really serious problems.

Mike

UGA33 12-15-2007 04:07 PM

Talking to my local dealer, they are having good success with them so far.

bassdude 12-15-2007 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by westtntrucker
Your right. What i was saying, Cat has the name following that is almost religious. Guys would buy it for name recognition only. I drive a KW T600 with a C-13 Cat in it. I hate it. I would rather be able to have a Cummins, but, the cat c-13 is lighter than cummins with the same HP ratings. We are bulk haulers so the lighter the truck = more payload. I deliver into strip mines where Cat is the main name in equipment and the guys who operate them would buy up the cat motor powered pickups like little girls buying up hanna montana junk!

i've driven cummaparts, detroits and cats.
i'll take a cat any day over the cummapart.
much smoother and more torque. just more of pleasure to drive.
i drove a 444 cummins that was turned up and supposed to be the *****.
got out of that and into a 550 cat. god what a difference. the cummapart seemed like a VW motor compared to a nice running big block.
shoot the 435 detroit i had ran better than the any cummins powered rig i've driven.

you can keep your cummins bud. i'll take a kitty cat any day.

westtntrucker 12-15-2007 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by bassdude
i drove a 444 cummins that was turned up and supposed to be the *****.
got out of that and into a 550 cat. god what a difference. the cummapart seemed like a VW motor compared to a nice running big block.

you can keep your cummins bud. i'll take a kitty cat any day.

Yes the 444 cummins was not up to snuff against a 550 cat. The reason being, two entirely different motors. The 444 was a mechanical motor and the 550 is a computer motor. Have you driven a 525 red head cummins? I'll take that motor over any of the big block inlines out there today. Also keep in mind that engine choice in a semi is the same choice we have buying a pickup. All personal choice.

Kenworth 12-15-2007 05:43 PM

The 444 Cummins wasn't a good engine. Its not really fair to compair a half mechanical and electronic engine which the 444 was with a bad valve system to a 3406E or C-15 Cat. Cat has always had a smoother engine with a even torque curve compared to a Cummins. The 3406ABC and E are all the same when it comes to the even power. The 3406A was the first start of the series and from what I learned it had some problems. The 3406B the full mechanical Cat usually rated at 425 was a good engine then the C model come out that was problematic it was Cats first crack at electronics then the E model all dropped for the C-16 at the start a monster power engine then they went to the current C-15.

I like the old 400 Big Cam Cummins they are a fairly reliable engine. Smoke like a SOB cold but do the job.

I really haven't driven trucks with a electronically controlled engine except for my F-450s the tandems are all mechanical engines.