Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Iowa Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum140/)
-   -   Hope everyone is safe and not travelling today (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/679843-hope-everyone-is-safe-and-not-travelling-today.html)

monsterbaby 12-01-2007 09:54 AM

Hope everyone is safe and not travelling today

and still has electricity... Wife has to go to work today at some point, she called in and they just asked her to come in when she could and felt safe about it. even if it was 4 tonight.
Anyway everyone be safe in this mess.

stryder 12-01-2007 11:44 AM

All is well here in lovely Wayland for now.There is at least 1/4 inch of ice already. Had to venture out to save a couple of our newly planted trees that were pretty weighted down.
Spent several hours last night prepping the generator. Its only a matter of hours before we loose power. Spent 5 days at the mother-in-laws from the last ice storm. Not happening this time! :)

fellro86 12-02-2007 06:36 AM

I wasn't going to be, but my sister waited until the last minute to go get a load of hay, and it started getting bad before she made it back. She went to running gravel and did ok for a little bit, but got to a big hill and couldn't quite make it to the top. Well, the clutch is out on my truck, and the only other 4 wheel drives are my dad's old truck which needs a lot of work, first being injectors since it smokes black sitting still... The other is an 87 F250 gas, but it turns out the alternator quit on it, but I didn't notice that until I am over to where she was stuck, so I have to steal the battery out of her truck to get us back. She had me bring the 4x4 because she thought it might get her on up the hill, but I didn't even waste my time trying because I had enough traction troubles getting there, I couldn't see how it would be able to pull an F350 and 6 bales of hay up a hill coated in ice... Hopefully the warm temps made it to where we might be able to get it moving again this morning...

Greywolf 12-02-2007 06:46 AM

Now I feel happier about Memphis traffic. We only get about three or four days of "white" every year, but it only takes a dusting to make G-1 slip and slide all over the place. Fortunately - I learned to drive in Maryland and Pennsylvania.

If you folks had seen all of the wipeouts from just the rain we had the other day you'd be convinced Memphis drivers were complete idiots!

fordsrgrt 12-02-2007 08:45 AM

well got lots of ice here in clinton.went for a drive around town in the truck,nice to have 4 wheel drive again .i had quite a few branches that fell due to ice on them ,but that was all,just another mess to clean up.had a couple of blips with the electricity but all was good

nobodyspecial 12-02-2007 08:55 AM

Up hear in ND, we had about six inches of snow yesterday and its been snowing all night. On my way home last night I had to push a girl out that was stuck in the middle of the road with the plan for getting out of flooring it in drive, then flooring it in reverse. :) After I got her out, I gave her a few tips about winter driving.

road covered in ice with 6 inches of snow on it... you should see idiots driving up here. I was sitting at a stop light and too my right at the intersection, there was a guy in a car with it floored, moving about a mile an hour with smoke (steam?) pouring off his tires took the whole green light for him to get halfway into the intersection, then he got stuck. :-X15

Greywolf 12-02-2007 09:00 AM

I'd be the first to admit that my truck is plain dangerous on snow or ice. If it snows this year, I'll wait long enough for the four wheelers and farm trucks to tear it all up and THEN drive.

I've got performance tires, but not that kind of performance.

nobodyspecial 12-02-2007 09:03 AM

haha yeah, road grip performance tires don't work to well on ice, I was all over the place with 97 cougar that had THOSE kind of performance tires.

Greywolf 12-02-2007 09:05 AM

They're definitely not stock anymore! But they sure run the twisties in good weather.

monsterbaby 12-02-2007 09:08 AM

Wolfie I have seen them drive down in Phoenix in a rain storm before, I am quite sure it's about like Memphis when it rains. Worse yet you should be in Dallas/ft Worth when they get a half inch of snow. OMG those people in TX can't drive.

FTE Trigger 12-02-2007 10:48 AM

Whats this Snow stuff? Its gotten to the point where a local city here is Importing this....Snow... "Imported Snow" :-X03

We know ice though... :-X16

Ya'll hang in there.. hopefully temps will pick up really soon for you guys...:-X22

ididntdoit99 12-03-2007 11:00 PM

Musta been alot worse in southern Iowa, Up in Waterloo we got a bunch or slush on Sat. and it all froze on sunday, but I was out and about all weekend, never put it in 4 wheel drive, they got most of the slush off the roads before it froze.

Then I get to work and everybodies complaining about not going out and driving all weekend.

fellro86 12-04-2007 06:14 AM

Not much for snow, but 3/4" of ice, so that is what made it suck, even the gravel roads are still slick. Pavement for the most part is fine now.