Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Why can't us 07'ers go 7500 miles between oil changes? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/679266-why-cant-us-07ers-go-7500-miles-between-oil-changes.html)

berry1234 11-29-2007 03:19 PM

Why can't us 07'ers go 7500 miles between oil changes?

What has changed with the engine, filters, etc. that lets the 08'ers go 7500? Marketing tool for sales?

rich93cw 11-29-2007 06:41 PM

I wonder the same thing. Surely there was not some incredible discovery that was added to the vehicles. Whatever it is, we don't have it. Thus, regardless of what the reason is, I think that the real answer is that the warrantee would be voided.

seventyseven250 11-29-2007 06:53 PM

Nothing changed from one year to the next. This is all part of the manufactuers recognizing that longer oil change intervals are fine with modern engines and modern oil. Both of them have improved greatly. Plus, reccomending longer OCI's can allow them to claim lower total cost of ownership, which is a comparison some people use. It takes into account fuel economy, maintenence and initial costs. Lowering maintenence costs can go a long way for that.

But there will always be people who figure that they need to change thier oil more often. My Father-in-law does his every 3000 kms.

berry1234 11-29-2007 07:03 PM

Well, then I am going 7500. Only problem is I will have to reset my computer at 5K.

Newton007 11-29-2007 08:48 PM

I am a old fuddy duddy I guess, I am going to change my oil and filter at every 5000 miles on my 07 too.
Things have come a long way with oil as in 1950 Ford said every 500 miles a oil and filter change.

alchymist 11-29-2007 08:53 PM

Guess I must really be old school - changed oil/filter at 1600 miles on my '08, and will get 'er done every 3500-4000 after that. Still feel it's a good idea to get that first change in early and get all the wear/breakin particles out of the engine early. OK, bring on the flak...........

IQ9 11-29-2007 09:36 PM

I got mine changed at 1700 just to get rid of the breakin crap as you did. I think I will be in every 5-6K as a safety.

R-WEST 11-30-2007 08:39 AM

Guess I must really be old school - changed oil/filter at 1600 miles on my '08, and will get 'er done every 3500-4000 after that. Still feel it's a good idea to get that first change in early and get all the wear/breakin particles out of the engine early. OK, bring on the flak..
No flak here!! I try to change the filter at 500, oil/filter at 1,000, then 3,000, then every 5K after that. Some guys change oil and filter as soon as they get their new vehicle home. I dunno. Makes me feel better, tho... :)

R-WEST 11-30-2007 09:41 AM

Oops, forgot to add that I change at 4K in the winter, to allow for the couple minutes it spends idling to warm up in the mornings.

mnmwhit 12-23-2007 08:02 PM

I dont trust that 7500 mile direction. Oil changes are cheap. I still do 5,000 mile intervals and I only use Mobil-1. In Alaska syntetics are a life saver

rbarbot2 12-26-2007 06:58 PM

Has anyone actually ever seen any "crap" floating around in their oil when they change it at 1500 miles? Seems to me that the oil filter should being doing a sufficient job at that point.

Also, is there any chance that the first oil in the engine has special additives for break-in, and that by changing it out early you are actually causing future harm to your motor?

alchymist 12-26-2007 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by rbarbot2
Has anyone actually ever seen any "crap" floating around in their oil when they change it at 1500 miles? Seems to me that the oil filter should being doing a sufficient job at that point.

Also, is there any chance that the first oil in the engine has special additives for break-in, and that by changing it out early you are actually causing future harm to your motor?

I checked with the dealer - my '08 came with plain old 5W20 Motorcraft. Perhaps the filter does pick up the majority of the crap - but it won't trap it all. Besides changing the oil also gets the filter changed so it isn't loaded up. So, even if it didn't gain anything, it sure didn't hurt anything other than the cost of the oil change. Plus, it gives the tech an early opportunity to check things over......

berry1234 12-27-2007 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by alchymist
I checked with the dealer - my '08 came with plain old 5W20 Motorcraft. Perhaps the filter does pick up the majority of the crap - but it won't trap it all. Besides changing the oil also gets the filter changed so it isn't loaded up. So, even if it didn't gain anything, it sure didn't hurt anything other than the cost of the oil change. Plus, it gives the tech an early opportunity to check things over......

You sure its not the synthetic blend 5w20? Thats whats supposed to be in there.

alchymist 12-27-2007 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by berry1234
You sure its not the synthetic blend 5w20? Thats whats supposed to be in there.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="550"><tbody><tr><td class="subheader">SAE 5W-20 and 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
</td> <td>
</td> <td rowspan="3" align="right" valign="top">http://www.motorcraft.com/images/pro...lSyn_Front.jpg</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="bodytext" valign="top">Motorcraft<sup xmlns:msxsl="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt">®</sup> Full Synthetic SAE 5W-20 and SAE 5W-30 Motor Oils are designed, engineered and recommended by Ford Motor Company. They meet engine oil recommendations by Ford Motor Company and many other equipment manufacturers that recommend oils of these viscosity grades and qualities. They are also certified by the American Petroleum Institute (API), and bear its "Certification Trademark."

</td></tr></tbody></table>Any questions? :-D

berry1234 12-27-2007 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by alchymist
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="550"><tbody><tr><td class="subheader">SAE 5W-20 and 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
</td> <td>
</td> <td rowspan="3" align="right" valign="top">http://www.motorcraft.com/images/pro...lSyn_Front.jpg</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="bodytext" valign="top">Motorcraft<sup xmlns:msxsl="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt">®</sup> Full Synthetic SAE 5W-20 and SAE 5W-30 Motor Oils are designed, engineered and recommended by Ford Motor Company. They meet engine oil recommendations by Ford Motor Company and many other equipment manufacturers that recommend oils of these viscosity grades and qualities. They are also certified by the American Petroleum Institute (API), and bear its "Certification Trademark."

</td></tr></tbody></table>Any questions? :-D

Yeah, you said it came with plain old 5w20, now you post info on full synthetic. Which was it? :-D