Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum32/)
-   -   Fix your factory cd eject error message (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/675260-fix-your-factory-cd-eject-error-message.html)

tdbudman 11-17-2007 07:17 PM

Fix your factory cd eject error message

if your getting the eject error message on your factory in dash cd player it may just be as simple as cleaning the ribbon wire connections inside the cd palyer. Just pull it out of the dash, and separate the cd player from the radio. (There are just four small screws to seperate them.) Then with a small jewler's screw driver remove the clips securing the ribbon wire to the connectors. Clean the wire connectors with an eraser and or some contact cleaner and re-assemble in the reverse order. It should be good to go.

caearly 03-11-2009 09:47 AM

CD player error

How do you pull the cd/radio? Can't see where there are clips or screws or anything. Got a CD in the drive that I cannot eject. Husband's has the same problem, but he got the last CD out and we just don't use the player at all. Bummer!
Appreciate your advice. Are there drawings available from Ford, do you know? Probably could get the CD if I could get into the player.
Thanks!:-banghead

enyapp 03-12-2009 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by caearly (Post 7248132)
How do you pull the cd/radio? Can't see where there are clips or screws or anything. Got a CD in the drive that I cannot eject. Husband's has the same problem, but he got the last CD out and we just don't use the player at all. Bummer!
Appreciate your advice. Are there drawings available from Ford, do you know? Probably could get the CD if I could get into the player.
Thanks!:-banghead

The factory indash radio has 2 holes on each side of the front panel. They sell a tool set to remove it or you can make your own set from a sturdy wire coat hanger. Cut two sections approx 10 inches or so and bend each one into a U shape. Insert the exposed ends of the U shaped wire into the holes on the front panel (one U-shaped tool in each side). Holding both U-shaped tools (one in each hand) pry/pull apart (away from each other) while pulling the tools toward you. This should pull the whole unit out.
Good luck!

1081 06-23-2010 08:59 PM

I know this is an old thread, but if you are still listening....can you clarify on the "ribbon" or take a picture of what your talking about? I took mine out, took it apart, and sprayed it with electrical cleaner but it didn't make a difference.

TEEJAY 06-25-2010 10:12 AM

Just tried this fix and I'm happy to report it DOES WORK! Carefully take apart the trim and remove the console cover (two 7mm screws) to release the bottom of the trim piece. My 2006 EB had 7mm screws and not the old slots to hold the unit in. Once removed, disassemble the cage and remove the cd changer. I carefully seperated the ribbon, cleaned the contacts and reassembled. Figured I'd try it before taking the unit in for service. It took a few clicks and shuffles but soon the cd player was working again and able to eject all the cd's that were stuck in it. Works great!

tdbudman 06-26-2010 09:35 AM

It's obvius once you get in there. Just separate the cd changer from the radio and you'll see the ribbon wire connecting the cd player to the radio. Can't miss it. If I recall its white.

rickheel 12-17-2011 11:19 AM

It is white. Just be careful to remove it from the CD changer. Clean it and reinsert it very carefully!!!

Vegas Ernie 04-22-2012 01:41 PM

Thanks for the good info on pulling the cd changer. Actually used to pieces of heavy duty mechanics wire, but was pushing them in trying to release the unit, so thanks once again.

TheBoyd1027 08-28-2012 06:03 PM

I have a 2001 Sport Trac. Every time i press the cd button the radio makes a clicking noise for about 30 seconds and then says "CD ERROR". When i press the load button it tells me that the slots are all full; and with the eject button it makes the clicking noise again and then the "CD ERROR" again.

This all started when my brother put a small cd-rom in the cd player because he thought it would play it. I have retrieved the cd from the player and it continues to make the same noise. Other places on the internet says that i should pull the fuse and it will re-align the racks(which i assume is clicking).

How do i fix it?

Frat-man-du 09-10-2012 01:47 PM

The racks should have reset when you pulled the unit of to perform the process above. If not then pullig the fuse is easier than pulling the unit out and unplugging the ribbon connector and power.

I dont see the micro/mini CD causing any damage, unless the removal process was harsh. The cleaning process should clear it up like a 5 minute job if you have the removal tool.

SDotWalnuts 03-06-2016 10:50 PM

THANK YOU!

Originally Posted by tdbudman (Post 5355289)
if your getting the eject error message on your factory in dash cd player it may just be as simple as cleaning the ribbon wire connections inside the cd palyer. Just pull it out of the dash, and separate the cd player from the radio. (There are just four small screws to seperate them.) Then with a small jewler's screw driver remove the clips securing the ribbon wire to the connectors. Clean the wire connectors with an eraser and or some contact cleaner and re-assemble in the reverse order. It should be good to go.

THIS WORKS.

I just bought a 2005 Ford Expedtion Sport Trac yesterday. I kicked the tires, checked everything out under the hood, examined the hubs, tires, rotors, exhaust, AC, etc. Mileage was good. Engine strong. Lots of rubber on the tires. New shocks. New brakes. Smooth ride. Purrs like a kitten. Heat blows hot. AC blows cold. 4X4 with plenty of power.

But I never checked the stock CD/Tape Deck/Radio. It turns out, the CD player ate my favorite Springsteen album ON THE RIDE HOME FROM THE DEALERSHIP and the tape deck converter thingy I bought to hook up to my smartphone so I could listen to Pandora was constantly ejected. Nothing worked.

So I took your advice....

1. I took out all of the fuses related to the radio (in my case it was fuses 27 and 29...check your manual...Leave them out at least a 1/2 hour per my other research...again it worked for me, so just do it)

2. I pulled out the radio using thick coat hangers that I fashioned into a U-shape. No need to buy the tool. Find the thickest coat hanger in your closet. Cut it up into 6" pieces. Bend them into a "U" with vise grips. There are several YouTube videos that show you the technique needed to pull out the radio. Stick it in the holes, pull towards the doors of the cars while simultaneously pulling towards you.

3. I undid every tiny screw and pulled the whole head unit apart. Took the face off the radio. Took the metal covers off the "box". I separated the CD player from the "box"

4. I used a can of compressed air and blew out the tape deck, cd player, circuit boards and the entire "box"

5. I used a tiny eyeglass style flat head screwdriver and gently removed the "white ribbon" from both the tape deck and the cd player. There are two tiny metal levers on each side of the ribbon that you can gently push on to release the ribbon.

6. I blew out the connectors with said can of compressed air. I gently sprayed a bit of WD-40 into said terminals.

7. I cleaned the connectors on said white ribbon with a gentle spritz of WD-40.

8. I dried all components that were sprayed with WD-40 with even more compressed air.

9. I put it all back together.

Now I can listen to any CD I want. My Springsteen CD's made by Columbia Records and even dubbed CD mixes. They play and eject perfectly. The tape deck converter now works and I can listen to Pandora through my smartphone with that tape deck connector thingy.

Before I read this post and started doing other internet research about the subject, I had resigned myself to buying another stock head unit on ebay. Many of which are in the price range of $185-$200!!!

I FIXED mine with a little effort, your invaluable help and the cost of a can of compressed air.

I feel alot better about my purchase of this vehicle today. Everything works now! Thanks for sharing! Truly glad I found this post.

SDotWalnuts 03-06-2016 11:00 PM

THANK YOU!

THIS WORKS.

I just bought a 2005 Ford Expedtion Sport Trac yesterday. I kicked the tires, checked everything out under the hood, examined the hubs, tires, rotors, exhaust, AC, etc. Mileage was good. Engine strong. Lots of rubber on the tires. New shocks. New brakes. Smooth ride. Purrs like a kitten. Heat blows hot. AC blows cold. 4X4 with plenty of power.

But I never checked the stock CD/Tape Deck/Radio. It turns out, the CD player ate my favorite Springsteen album ON THE RIDE HOME FROM THE DEALERSHIP and the tape deck converter thingy I bought to hook up to my smartphone so I could listen to Pandora was constantly ejected. Nothing worked.

1. I took out all of the fuses related to the radio (in my case it was fuses 27 and 29...check your manual...Leave them out at least a 1/2 hour per my other research...again it worked for me, so just do it)

2. I pulled out the radio using thick coat hangers that I fashioned into a U-shape. No need to buy the tool. Find the thickest coat hanger in your closet. Cut it up into 6" pieces. Bend them into a "U" with vise grips. There are several YouTube videos that show you the technique needed to pull out the radio. Stick it in the holes, pull towards the doors of the cars while simultaneously pulling towards you.

3. I undid every tiny screw and pulled the whole head unit apart. Took the face off the radio. Took the metal covers off the "box". I separated the CD player from the "box"

4. I used a can of compressed air and blew out the tape deck, cd player, circuit boards and the entire "box"

5. I used a tiny eyeglass style flat head screwdriver and gently removed the "white ribbon" from both the tape deck and the cd player. There are two tiny metal levers on each side of the ribbon that you can gently push on to release the ribbon.

6. I blew out the connectors with said can of compressed air. I gently sprayed a bit of WD-40 into said terminals.

8. I dried all components that were sprayed with WD-40 with even more compressed air.

Now I can listen to any CD I want. My Springsteen CD's made by Columbia Records and even dubbed CD mixes. They play and eject perfectly. The tape deck converter now works and I can listen to Pandora through my smartphone with that tape deck connector thingy.

Before I read this post and started doing other internet research about the subject, I had resigned myself to buying another stock head unit on ebay. Many of which are in the price range of $185-$200!!!

I FIXED mine with a little effort, your invaluable help and the cost of a can of compressed air.

I feel alot better about my purchase of this vehicle today. Everything works now! Thanks for sharing! Truly glad I found this post.

SDotWalnuts 03-06-2016 11:01 PM

THIS WORKS.

hunydodis 04-01-2016 05:24 PM

Well Alright!!! Bought my 2001 Ext 4x2 back in October '15. Thought i was going to have to buy a new deck THANKS for this great tip. 30 minutes work and it took every cd I fed it.