Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   Adjustable caster/camber cam kit install Question. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/674548-adjustable-caster-camber-cam-kit-install-question.html)

Dialtone 11-15-2007 02:55 PM

Adjustable caster/camber cam kit install Question.

I have a quick question on installation of the upper control arm cam adjuster bolt kit.
99 F150 2WD

Is there any particular way to initially set the eccentric bolt/washer combo when installing a kit along with replacement upper control arms?

Should it initially be set up/down/sideways (left/right).
I will be getting an alignment, but it may be a few days off and I need to be able to dirve the vehicle in the mean time, so some general tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dialtone

KingRanchMan02 11-15-2007 03:46 PM

I am by far no expert here, but common sense says straight up. Good luck! :-wink

steve(ill) 11-15-2007 04:51 PM

before you loosen the bolts on the a-frame, mark the location with a black marker or center punch- both bolts. put them back in the same location. if you want to install the cam kit, o.k., or just take it with you and give to the allignment guys.... i have done several upper arms and all i do is center punch the frame around the washer on the bolt head, then put them back in that same spot.

Wilber15 11-15-2007 05:31 PM

When you take the bolt and nut out, you'll see where they were installed(at least in northern mn, you can see the rust around the bolt). Put the washer and bolt combo in so that they closely line up. I guess I never really pay alot of attention, because when I'm putting them in, it's already on the alignment rack and I'll be adjusting them within 5 minutes anyways. But you may even be able to see where the arm itself was lined up on the inside of the frame and just turn the bolt after it's in and line the 2 marks up....you'll see what i'm talking about after you have the bolt/nut out....

Dialtone 11-15-2007 06:18 PM

Well, Just finished up replacing both sides, and the job was easy enough. About 30 minites per side (once I located the proper size wrenches/ sockets to use)
Curious though that the factory had installed a rectangular "locator" plate on the nut side of the original setup. This plate basically "fixed" the bolt position in the slotted frame mounts, so I just reinstalled them. Will take the adjusters to the shop when I get it aligned.
But I really do not see what the big deal is. Looks like one could remove the locator plates and slip the bolts along the slots to get the proper alignment without the fancy cam bolt setup. Looks like a waste of $45.00 to me, but possibly I am not seeing the big picture here.

Thanks for the replies.
Dialtone

steve(ill) 11-15-2007 07:51 PM

i have had 50 guys tell me you cant align it without the cams. I have nvere ever seen one of the cam kits. do it all the time like we talked above. just put it back where it came from. you rright, you dont need the cams.

Wilber15 11-15-2007 08:05 PM

I've aligned the without the cam kits. SUCKS!! You have to fight with the upper control arm and hold it in place while your tighten the bolts. It's not worth my time(or losing my time) to fight the alignment without the kit. It's 100 times easier to align it with the cams.

and the spacer that is factory installed sets the caster camber to a predetermined measurement, so they don't have to align it before shipping.

Silver Streak 11-15-2007 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Wilber15
I've aligned the without the cam kits. SUCKS!! You have to fight with the upper control arm and hold it in place while your tighten the bolts. It's not worth my time(or losing my time) to fight the alignment without the kit. It's 100 times easier to align it with the cams.

and the spacer that is factory installed sets the caster camber to a predetermined measurement, so they don't have to align it before shipping.

+1. If I have to add the cam bolts during an aligntment it adds about $60 to the price. If I have to do it without them it adds about $100. Lots of people say that's not right, but I've got bills to pay too and I'm not going to waste my time dinking around with something because some cheap skate won't do it right. If you just ditch the spacer you probably can't get the bolts tight enough to keep it from moving around without binding things up. The cam bolts are the way to go.

pancake 08-11-2010 07:17 AM

ive got a 99f150 4x4

was looking into replacing stock right upper ctl arm/ball joint myself and had no idea about this adjustment kit...is it safe to assume that it would be pointless to install the new parts (including this kit)only on one side or does it make the alignment a nightmare and a half for the shop with one moog aftermarket adjustable and one stock ford part working with on a limited budget but if i have to replace both sides with the adj kit then it will be done that way