Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   Upfitter switch for High idle (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/672066-upfitter-switch-for-high-idle.html)

KC8QVO 10-25-2010 05:52 AM

Not sure about any switched power under the dash, but there is a switched power wire going to the trailer plug. The guys at the dealer where I got my cap did that for the lights... As soon as I got a chance I wired them to a switch on the dash (not an upfitter, home brew jobby but does the same thing - lots of other stuff on the panel besides the on/off switches though).

On a side note, I just started reading this thread and realized it was an old one from 07. Anyway, theres a post on the first page talking about how there is a buit-in ide up feature if you idle longer than 120 seconds when cold or something. Mine does this all the time in the morning. The RPM's go up over 1000 when this happens. If it happens automatically, why put a switch in for it? Maybe I don't let mine idle long enough to see it drop back down but it does kick the RPM's up after a short time when I first start it.

sdetweil 10-25-2010 06:15 AM

If you plan to park for 30 mins to eat lunch and need the a/c running, then its best to idle up .. have to control this manually..

lots of other reasons..

Sam

fg250 10-25-2010 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by KC8QVO (Post 9479285)
Not sure about any switched power under the dash, but there is a switched power wire going to the trailer plug. The guys at the dealer where I got my cap did that for the lights... As soon as I got a chance I wired them to a switch on the dash (not an upfitter, home brew jobby but does the same thing - lots of other stuff on the panel besides the on/off switches though).

On a side note, I just started reading this thread and realized it was an old one from 07. Anyway, theres a post on the first page talking about how there is a buit-in ide up feature if you idle longer than 120 seconds when cold or something. Mine does this all the time in the morning. The RPM's go up over 1000 when this happens. If it happens automatically, why put a switch in for it? Maybe I don't let mine idle long enough to see it drop back down but it does kick the RPM's up after a short time when I first start it.

yeah, it only does that when it's cold, once warmed up it won't do it.

seanjackmc 10-27-2010 02:45 PM

so I just hooked up the wires as described on here and everything works great. Is it ok to just twist the wires together then wrap with elec tape? I figure there isnt much draw on the connection so I should be ok??? Let me know if not. By the way will the truck warm up faster now that this is done on those cold mornings and can it idle now for however long I want it to with out concern of wet stacking?
Thanks for the help
STM

sdetweil 10-27-2010 03:13 PM

you should at least use a screw on cap, and some dialectric grease to keep the connections clean.. tape by itself usually isn't good for temp, movement, etc..

this will over-ride the auto SEIC, so it should be ok.

Sam

ab257z 10-28-2010 02:30 PM

Also, if you have a turbo cool-down timer on your shutdown (third party security system), the high idle comes in handy.

koboss1 11-24-2010 04:28 PM

I need help I hooked these 2 wires up tonight with a heat shrink connector

Put E brake on, in P, started and turned on #4 uppfitter and nothin happened

Also checked the fuses on the passenger side and it was fine ?? HELP what am I missing

IHbase 11-27-2010 06:08 PM

Or you could just shut the damn thing off. It is not 1950 and you are not running a Cat.
-mike

LaxPlaya21 11-27-2010 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by IHbase (Post 9609084)
Or you could just shut the damn thing off. It is not 1950 and you are not running a Cat.
-mike

Hahha come on... there are def pleny of reason to idle.

AKPostal 09-07-2011 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by DieselWhisperer (Post 5322024)
It's easier than you think, I did mine a couple of days ago. Just pop off the plastic cover under the steering wheel, find the green/yellow wire in the large bundle of wires just above the Ebrake (they are bundled together and all have a black heat shrink looking end on them) then right above that bundle you'll see another group of 4 wires, I forgot the colors, but there is a solid brown one in that group (the brown one is for upfitter switch #4). Just make a jumper wire about 3 or 4 inches long and connect the green/yellow to the brown wire. It works! The E-brake has to be set and the transmission in PARK. Mine revs up to about 1200 RPM. If you touch the brake pedal, it will cancell it out.

Ok I just hooked mine up and it does have power through it when I hit the Up-fitter Switch. It does not do the high idle. Does the engine have to warm up first? I do have an auto start that has turbo mod. So when u press the e-brake it will stay on for 2 minutes. Is there anything under the hood I need to hook up?
OH I AM IN ALASKA SO I DO NEED THIS MOD!! IT GETS -50 HERE!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!

AKPostal 09-07-2011 07:03 PM

Yellow Wire with Green Stripe works great!!!LOL

hinesks 09-13-2012 11:06 AM

Hooked mine up yesterday and it works great. 1200 rpm everytime.

phudgins 11-25-2013 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by alchymist (Post 5318244)
PM me with an email address and I'll email you the Service bulletins I have (Q files, PDF format). Anyone else wanting them feel free also.....

I could sure use the idle info! Thanks, phudgins25@gmail.com

KR250 01-11-2014 02:24 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I am new to the site and new to Diesel engines! I just bought a 2010 King Ranch F250 6.4L and I found this site while trying to familiarize myself with this engine. There is a lot of good info on this site!

I hooked up the high idle to Aux 4 and it works great. Just curious when you guys use it though. I sometimes park for extended periods during duck season in Florida, and I pictured using it to the run the A/C while parked/sleeping in the truck. BUT...should I run it at high idle continuously for hours, or intermittently throughout the night? Thx. for the info.

Geeves 05-10-2019 02:28 AM

I Could Use The Instructions Too

Originally Posted by alchymist (Post 5318244)
PM me with an email address and I'll email you the Service bulletins I have (Q files, PDF format). Anyone else wanting them feel free also.....

geeven.chetty@gmail.com