Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Daytime running lamps (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/667138-daytime-running-lamps.html)

07xpyebel 02-23-2012 06:39 AM

My 07 XP Eddie Bauer EL 4X4 purchased about 6 months ago off lease 45,000 miles I ask the service manager about turning on the DRL's and he looked like a deer in the headlights DUH

So I explained to him that they can access the onboard computer and simply turn on... He went over to a service tech told him what I said the tech replied "YEP" we can do that.

He hooked up his laptop and 2 minutes later it was done NO CHARGE I did tip the tech

Now if I can just get that laptop for a couple of hours:)

My truck was assembled in Wayne, Michigan per the Monroney sticker.

berry1234 02-23-2012 02:52 PM

On my window sticker it says Options- DRL $45.

The salesman said see the driving lights? Yes. Put the car in park. Why did the lights go off? They are called driving lights, not parking lights, hahahahaha.

cdmm151 02-24-2012 10:15 AM

What code did he use to turn them on?

07xpyebel 02-24-2012 12:06 PM

I don't know...I will find out, I'm going there in two weeks to have my seat track replaced (seat is rocking) and my brake booster replaced (it's making a hissing sound and stops when I depress the brake pedal)

All warranty work but still will cost me $50.00 deductible and my time.

Is there anyway for us to access the onboard computer to do these thing ourselves?

chuck s 02-24-2012 06:27 PM

There's deductible on warranty work? When did this start?

-- Chuck

berry1234 02-24-2012 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by chuck s (Post 11483302)
There's deductible on warranty work? When did this start?

-- Chuck

On ESP, not 36K or 5/60 powetrain.

07xpyebel 02-24-2012 08:50 PM

Chuck,
In Florida I discovered that when I go in for any "warranty work" to be done, the service advisor let's you know up front the $65 or $75 dollar labor rate plus parts "in case it's not covered"

When I heard that line with a fully covered protection plan that I have, I replied that's a load of BS I don't want to know what the rate is... that why I purchased the protection plan minus the deductible.

So I will wait for a few problems to arise before I bring it in for any service @ $50.00 a pop.

How about you guys?

cstanley44 02-25-2012 05:47 PM

I had a dealer enable them on an Explorer last year that was being exported to Canada where DRL are mandatory. Figured Id have it done here in the US to make the Canadian import inspection process easier
At first the closest 3 dealers said Id have to add hardware module.

I have a friend that works for Ford and he was the one that told me every 06+ should have the hardware, it just needs to be enabled.

Sure enough, after he gave me the right words to use - ECU, SJB etc the local dealer found out how to do it

They charged $49

Just goes to show, not every dealer is familiar with this 'embedded' option, but if you use the right language, they should be able to find it.

And yes, the are Driving lights, that turn off in PARK

07xpyebel 02-25-2012 08:26 PM

Curtis,
Nice Buick
I had a 68 chevelle..that went up in flames

rubenoff 04-01-2012 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by IQ9 (Post 5315584)
My 2008 does not use the fog lights for the DRLs. It uses the headlights and you can't shut them off...even when you would like too.

IN canada our 2007 Ford focus has D.R.L. built into low beam at half brillance

There are 2 fog lamps and if you pull the light switch out to the first click the park and tail lamps operate and the fog lamp switch will allow the fog lamps alone with park and tail lamps, this meets BC laws, which allows either fog lamps or low beam lamps However if we pull the switch out to the second click the low beam and fog lamps operate, together

In the fog lamps mode with the tail lamps and park operating when you start the engine the D.R.L. operates and if the weather is really foggy we cannot
shut off the D.R.L to stop the bright light from bouncing back off the fog mist particles Ford will not admit there was a screw up, Because there are already 2 fog lamps lit and D.R.L lamps are not needed But they cannot be switched off, we are contemplating installing a small relay to cut off the D.R.L. during fog lamps operations to allow better driver control of the lighting in severe fog conditions see link below with pix and comments about D.R.L and fog lamps in Canada

Daytime running lamps pros and Cons 20111209-123029.WMV - YouTube

TCAS007 04-01-2012 04:28 PM

IMO driving with fog lights ONLY is not enough in fog as you are not visible enough.

Slowing down and being careful is what you need to do.

rubenoff 04-01-2012 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by TCAS007 (Post 11653960)
IMO driving with fog lights ONLY is not enough in fog as you are not visible enough.

Slowing down and being careful is what you need to do.

That has worked for us throughout 59 years of accident free driving
adjust speed related to road conditions is where it's at

have a nice day cheers

wkbrdtx 03-06-2015 01:30 AM

poor man's DRL

A plastic bottle cap placed over the daylight sensor will turn the headlights on during the day as long as the light switch is in auto mode.
Is this not the same as DRL only brighter?

Baumbach 03-06-2015 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by wkbrdtx (Post 15151108)
A plastic bottle cap placed over the daylight sensor will turn the headlights on during the day as long as the light switch is in auto mode. Is this not the same as DRL only brighter?

Using your bottle cap idea it not the same. You will also have the running lights tail front and side marker lights on, and also if in the automatic setting; the fog lights on too, the head lights off delay will be enabled, and if your dimmer switch for your dash lights is set to a lower night time setting; you will not be able to see the radio, temperature and other dash controls, as they will dim for night time driving. Because turning on the wipers does the same thing as your bottle cap idea, I have the same issue with seeing the controls on the dash if I turn on the wipers during day light hours.

cstanley44 03-12-2015 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Baumbach (Post 15151222)
Using your bottle cap idea it not the same. You will also have the running lights tail front and side marker lights on, and also if in the automatic setting; the fog lights on too, the head lights off delay will be enabled, and if your dimmer switch for your dash lights is set to a lower night time setting; you will not be able to see the radio, temperature and other dash controls, as they will dim for night time driving. Because turning on the wipers does the same thing as your bottle cap idea, I have the same issue with seeing the controls on the dash if I turn on the wipers during day light hours.

And if any type of inspection was needed to make sure they work, it would not pass.