Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum136/)
-   -   Excursion V10 swap to 5.9 cummins... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/664199-excursion-v10-swap-to-5-9-cummins.html)

5.9Excursion 10-17-2007 02:34 PM

Excursion V10 swap to 5.9 cummins...

3 Attachment(s)
2000 Ford Excursion limited 4x4 with a V10 gas hog getting swapped out for a new HPCR 5.9 cummins and dodge 48RE transmission.

Engine is new and has received a "few" necessary upgrades...:-D

Trans is new and is getting a "few" necessary upgrades...:-D

Using the ford transfer case, just swapping the input shaft out for a dodge one, driveshafts remain the same length.

I'm shooting for 550 hp to the ground. This hopefully will feel acceptable since my other Dodge is knocking on 700 hp to the ground.

Pics of the engine ready to run on the crate is came on.

Attachment 204503

Redneck radiator bypass so I can fill it with coolant on the stand.
Attachment 204504

Ready to swap the input shaft out for a billet one in the transmission.
Attachment 204505

5.9Excursion 10-17-2007 02:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a shot of the info available on the standalone transmission controller... It's also a datalogger...

Attachment 204500

Shot of the rig with new ford wheels/tires on it...
Attachment 204501

Shot of the newer headlights installed and billet grill...
Attachment 204502

5.9Excursion 10-17-2007 02:39 PM

Anyone need a V10 or 4R100 in great condition? I've got mine listed in the classifieds...

Vijay 10-17-2007 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by 5.9Excursion
my other Dodge is knocking on 700 hp to the ground.

Is your other Dodge running the same Engine?

5.9Excursion 10-18-2007 08:01 AM

Nope, its a 2001. 24V with vp44 maxed out...

92f150I6 10-18-2007 08:18 PM

Out of curiosity, how do you get everything to work together (body controller,abs, etc?) Do you use the Dodge engine controller?

5.9Excursion 10-18-2007 10:48 PM

Cummins has the engine control module mounted on the block, the entire engine wiring harness/sensors are selfcontained (with a small exception). the fan drive wiring needs to be run back to the engine harness, as dodge did this with some of the body wiring on the truck. So the engine is pretty much stand alone.

For the Ford, just remove the engine and remount the sensors (oil pressure and water temp mainly) on the cummins.

For the ABS, the main input is the speed signal which comes from the tone ring on the rear end. This also feeds the speedometer. The tach is the only challenge if you will. I have yet to determine if I can install a diesel gauge set (from a diesel F250/excursion), the wiring looks to be the same in the manual, just need to verify the wiring was run up to the dash in my gas excursion.

trinogt 10-19-2007 09:35 PM

Interesting swap... But I am still trying to wipe the dodge stigma from my mind... Even though I know Cummins has been it's own company long before the dodge partnership.

My question is, couldn't you have just bought an Excursion with a Powerstroke, and made everything simple? Or, is there another agenda here with the Cummins?
I understand you have a dodge affliction, so forgive my line of questioning. Besides fuel consumption, did you find any fault with the V10?
For the cost, I think I would entertain a plug-in hybrid for a future swap... The lithium ion batteries are the new heroes for long lasting charges, and with a work truck and daily driving not exceeding 100-200 miles, that should really make you smile if you are not liking your current fuel consumption... That brings up my last question: You want to save on fuel, but you are going to put in an engine that has 550 horsepower... Will that really save you money? ;)

5.9Excursion 10-20-2007 09:17 AM

I understand you question as alot of people ask it. Money wise it was just about the same either way. However when the swap is done the drivetrain will be new as opposed to me buying a diesel excursion with almost 100k on it for 20,000. Second, it is much much easier to work on cummins, engine compartment is more open. Parts are cheaper, and they are much more durable. They don't have the problems that the ford diesels have had and are just much more capable power wise.

The engine I'm using is rated at 305 stock, so about 250 to the wheels. With some pump work and a small injector upgrade it should be right at 350 hp to wheels with no electronic boxes turned on. For fun, the boxes can be turned on for an additional ~200 hp or so. That's where the 550 comes from. It won't be at that level all the time, more like 350 for daily driving. I've talked to others with just the pump and injector work and a "slightly" larger turbo (not much) and the fuel mileage has increased 1 to 2 mpg for highway driving.

It's all about the torque, every time I ride in my friends 7.3 F250 I'm so glad I'm going with a cummins.

barnbuoy 10-21-2007 04:00 PM

well i for one think it's an awesome swap---there's a 250 in the classifieds right now that looks pretty awesome(actually the description sounds awesome--i'm pretty sure the cummins gets better fuel mileage then the 7.3 or 6.0. and then i totally agree about easier to work on, cheaper etc etc..

even at 550 hp you're gonna beat the heck out of the v-10 mileage.
is it done?? or are we about where the pictures leave off??

barnbuoy 10-21-2007 04:18 PM

woops--double post..ignore.

5.9Excursion 10-22-2007 08:30 AM

I'm chompin' at the bit to tear the v10 out right now. I have to wait until after friday to start. I've got some dyno testing to do with my other truck on friday and then I'm swapping back in some smaller injectors so the wife can drive it while I work on the excursion.

The transmission is back together and the engine has the A/C compressor and belt installed. I also attached an exhaust system to get the exhaust out of the garage while it ran. I ran it a few times this weekend to bring it up to temp.

barnbuoy 10-23-2007 08:30 PM

whats a 5.9 weigh compared to a 7.3 or 6.0 ??

5.9Excursion 10-24-2007 12:36 PM

I don't recall the numbers right now but it is heavier by a couple hundred pounds I believe. I already swapped in some V code springs in the front and some F codes in the rear, new bilstein shocks, hellwig rear swaybar and am planning on some airbags for the rear for towing.

barnbuoy 10-24-2007 04:27 PM

awesome! keep the progress reports coming!