Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   07 Expedition Trans (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/663363-07-expedition-trans.html)

LVIPER 10-15-2007 09:24 AM

07 Expedition Trans

I have an 07 Exp 4X4 EL Limited with about 9k. I had the tsp for the delayed shift done back in July of this year. It seemed to shift better and take off out of the hole but it still seems to stumble and start out in th wrong gear. Well last week I was coasting around a gentle bend and in my neighborhood and I heard a very loud "bang" come from the drivetrain. I was thinking a u-joint had broken. I looked down at the dash and the traction control was engaging then the wrench icon came on and the check engine icon as well. When the wrench icon is illuminated this is "limp" mode." The vehicle is stuck in one gear, 3rd. and the timing is retarded. No pep when acelerating and has extreme trouble taking off or climbing a hill. I called Ford Road Side Assistance they told me they would send a tow within an hour. If the tow could not come within an hour they would call me back. So,,,,,4 hours later "Quality Tow Co." in LV calls me and tells me they are to busy to pick it up and they tell me they want to pick it up the next day! I was livid~! I told them no thanks. I went back to the suv and started it up and discovered it was no longer in "limp" mode but the check engine light was still on. Took it to the dealer he kept it a day and said there was nothing wrong with it. It had some orbitraury code stored that told him nothing about what went wrong. Test drove it with the trans tech who had a flight recorder on it. Nothing happened other than a couple of delayed shifts. Tech said he would order the solenoid pack in bottom of trans. Apparently no valvebody anymore on this trans. I took vehicle back and the same problem has came up twice in two days. Both times under very light aceleration or even coasting. Very lould BANG and then the limp mode. We'll see if the solenoid pack fixes it. I am going to look into the Lemon LaW for NV. This is not the first repair issue I have had with this vehicle. $55000.00 for an suv to be down all this time is crazy.

carbonmetallic 10-15-2007 10:08 AM

actually there is a valve body in the transmission. Ford replaced mine on my 07 Expedition. With them replacing the valve body it seemed to fix the transmission about 85% of the time. I have sense taking it back in for the new programming that was just released, it seems to have fixed the issues with delayed shifting, and the fumbling of gears.

berry1234 10-15-2007 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by carbonmetallic
actually there is a valve body in the transmission. Ford replaced mine on my 07 Expedition. With them replacing the valve body it seemed to fix the transmission about 85% of the time. I have sense taking it back in for the new programming that was just released, it seems to have fixed the issues with delayed shifting, and the fumbling of gears.

Carbon, do you know the date of the latest TSB for the tranny?

Also, when the check engine light comes on it logs info. For a dealer to tell you they can't tell you what happened means they don't know enough.

carbonmetallic 10-15-2007 11:19 AM

not quite sure when it was released. I have the paperwork in my truck, but it doesnt actually list the tsb they performed, just says reprogram tcm or something like that. They were able to pull up in oasis (the program the dealership uses for any work they perform) the current update. Your dealership should be able to do the same.

If I was you, I would find another dealership, the one you are going to sounds a little shady. I tried 3 dealerships before I found the one I am using now. They realize there is a problem and are doing there best to fix it.

witenight1 10-15-2007 07:53 PM

There is a TSB which may be related - #7-5-5... do you know of it? The only stickler is that it specifically applies only to vehicles w/less than 1000 miles - but it sure sounds like your issue... Publish your VIN and I'll run your TSB's if you wish...

On another note, does anyone know why some TSB's have suddenly disappeared regarding the Expedition and its poorly-programmed transmission? I have a printout of one that I wanted my dealer to perform, and tonight I tried it again, and it's no longer available thru OASIS (Ford's Service Web). They used to have 43 total TSBs there, now there are 28...? Any ideas?

expy37at 10-16-2007 02:03 AM

Wow, I was thinking about purchasing a 2008 but these trany horror stories are scaring me off...

myexpo02 10-16-2007 08:22 AM

expy37at,

I have an 08 XLT and I haven't seen the problem in my truck with the confused shifting. But with that said...If I don't completely stop at a light..it does start in second....but not really a big deal...step on the pedal and it shifts smoothly to 1st for more power...

carbonmetallic 10-16-2007 09:50 AM

<nobr>i believe this is the latest one, but dont hold me to it.</nobr>

<nobr></nobr>

<nobr>
SERVICE BULLETIN:19843 NHTSA ITEM NUMBER:10022755 </nobr>

MFG Bulletin Date: 20070601

Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:CONTROL MODULE (TCM, PCM)

Bulletin Summary: 2007 EXPEDITION - PCM RUNNING CHANGE *NJ

Date added to datbase: 20070926