Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   94' Ranger 4 Wheel Drive Module (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/657555-94-ranger-4-wheel-drive-module.html)

chris9n 09-28-2007 01:57 PM

94' Ranger 4 Wheel Drive Module

...I'm not getting any power to my 4WD module. The fuses are good and there is power going to the fuses. I checked both power lines going in with a DMM....nothing.

Does the power go straight from the fuse to the module?

It's different than the '93 module, so the schematic in the maintenance section doesn't apply for me.

Rockledge 09-28-2007 10:39 PM

Welcome.

Fuse #7 (20A) in the Engine Compartment is hot at all times and runs directly to the 4WD module (DG/LG). The circuit runs through a few harness connectors which are part of the main wire harness configuration.

Fuse #7 (15A) inside the Cab is hot in Start or Run and also runs directly to the module. However, there is a splice in the circuit and another wire runs to the 4WD switch. So this fuse actually powers both the module (W/P) and the switch (R/Y).

chris9n 10-01-2007 09:49 AM

Thanks Rockledge!!

So as a test, I COULD run 2 jumper wires straight from the battery to the connector just to test the system?

Rockledge 10-01-2007 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by chris9n
Thanks Rockledge!!

So as a test, I COULD run 2 jumper wires straight from the battery to the connector just to test the system?

I don't see why not. It's something I would probably try if it were mine. The only drawback I can think of is the switch probably needs power, too, in order for the system to operate properly as a whole. I would also think the key would need to be in the "on" position, as well, when testing.

In any case, you should pull both fuses out before you run 12V directly to the module and/or switch.

And keep in mind that a circuit needs a good ground to operate. There looks to be two ground wires for the module, BK and BK/O.

chris9n 10-01-2007 02:06 PM

AWESOME!!

Thanks!

My dad gave me the truck....the 4WD worked for him, then it just quit. I thought it was the module, but I couldn't get power to it to check it.

Also, he changed transmissions, and I didn't know if any of the connections went to the trans 1st, then to the module(in case he messed up connecting stuff back together....LOL)

chris9n 11-16-2007 05:24 AM

Ok, I checked the continuity on the 5 pin from the module to the dash switches.....they are all OPEN. Is there a connector between the module and dash that could be disconnected.

I ran the jumpers to the module to get power...that worked.

HELP!! LOL :-)

R031Kona 11-16-2007 10:06 AM

The computer controller will not play unless the shift motor position sensor "knows" what gear the transfer case is in check out this link https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=123542 most of the time this is what a "nothing happens " 4 wheel no start problem is.

Rockledge 11-16-2007 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by chris9n
Ok, I checked the continuity on the 5 pin from the module to the dash switches.....they are all OPEN. Is there a connector between the module and dash that could be disconnected.

Yes, according to the '94 Ford Manual, aside from the 4WD switch connector (C206) and the module connector (C204), there is another connector (C202) located "Below center of I/P" which means behind the center of the dash toward the bottom. It is supposedly black in color but in my experience the Manual is not very reliable when it comes to connector colors.

chris9n 11-19-2007 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Rockledge
Yes, according to the '94 Ford Manual, aside from the 4WD switch connector (C206) and the module connector (C204), there is another connector (C202) located "Below center of I/P" which means behind the center of the dash toward the bottom. It is supposedly black in color but in my experience the Manual is not very reliable when it comes to connector colors.

Hehe....Before I got a chance to read this, I crawled in the truck on Saurday, to dignose the problem. I was going to pull the shift boot off and start there. Sure enough I saw two black connectors that looked like they needed to be plugged togehter....TA DA!!!! 4 Wheel drive problem FIXED!!! LOL...I was driving around on Satuday on 4 wheel drive.....JUST because I could!! LOL. It's been over a year since the 4wd has actually engaged. Shift motor actaully worked perfectly.

....now...do you know anything about cruise control. It doesn't work.

The connector was actually black!!! :-)

R031Kona 11-20-2007 10:02 AM

That is funny, of course my attempt at problem solving "assumed" everything was pluged in and connected! KISS, that is what I get for assuming, glad my truck had everything plugged in or I would have had a real adventure.