Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum171/)
-   -   Who Sells The Best Diesel? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/653684-who-sells-the-best-diesel.html)

w8jumper 09-17-2007 11:02 AM

Who Sells The Best Diesel?

Does anyone have info on which company (shell, chevron etc.) consistantly sells the best quality diesel? I have been reading a lot about how diesel additives can cause unexpected problems with water in the fuel etc. and want to find just plain quality fuel to put in my gilfriend. ( the girl i married won't allow me to call the PSD my wife )

Thanks

origcharger 09-17-2007 11:41 AM

My vote goes to BP Premier diesel fuel.

avmike 09-17-2007 11:51 AM

The "best" diesel is fresh diesel. Therefore, any of your major truck stops such as Flying J, T/A, Loves. Anyone who moves a lot of diesel fuel is where you want to go. Look for RVs and trucks. If you see these, those are the best places to fill up.

Bigdawgkp 09-17-2007 02:45 PM

I find I getter better diesel mileage using SHELL diesel. :-D

w8jumper 09-17-2007 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bigdawgkp
I find I getter better diesel mileage using SHELL diesel. :-D

I thought I was going crazy but my truck gets about an extra 100 miles out of a tank when filled with shell diesel (35 gallon tank). I've used chevron, loves, no name stations and the shell always gets better mileage.

F350-6 09-17-2007 08:23 PM

Since a lot of stations a lot of stations are privately owned, and the fact that diesel should be used within 6 months, my vote is for the stations that sell a good volume and therefore get refilled on a regular basis. I'd be more worried about the water or trash in the underground tanks than the name on the sign.

origcharger 09-17-2007 10:26 PM

I would think that if just being fresh was the secret then cetane ratings would not be all over the map.
A lot of it I believe depends on the fuel distribution system in use in your neck of the woods, in many areas "generic fuel" is distributed from the local pipeline terminal to most every station no matter what brand name is on the pump.
The "better" fuels can most likely be had from outlets that are fortunate enough to get their fuel from their own brand name terminal.

avmike 09-18-2007 06:17 AM

You know, I thought it was just me doing some wishful thinking, but I too get considerably more gas mileage when I use Shell..........I guess I wasn't crazy after all.......That is really good to hear.

pugster 09-19-2007 01:16 PM

Mission Petroleum

In another lifetime, I worked in a gas station - I won't mention the brand. Friends worked in 2 other gas stations ( 1 w/ the star & the other w/ tigers for your tank). We/they all bought their fuel from the same distributor Mission Petroleum.

Sounds complicated but the point is we all had the same brand of gas but didn't know it. Not universally true - but just don't be too sure of brands unless you see the truck drive up to deliver. And look out for the cheapest diesel - it just may be Low and not Ultra-Low