Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Another Wind Noise TSB (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/650432-another-wind-noise-tsb.html)

berry1234 09-07-2007 05:19 PM

Another Wind Noise TSB

This is courtesy of ExpyBob:

FORD: 2007 Expedition
LINCOLN: 2007 Navigator

ISSUE:
Some 2007 Expedition and Navigator vehicles built before 05/07/2007 may exhibit wind noise around the exterior driver and/or passenger doors. This may be most noticeable near the A-pillar area of the door.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE: IF THE VEHICLE BUILD DATE IS ON OR AFTER 5/07/2007, THIS TSB DOES NOT APPLY. CONTINUE WITH NORMAL WORKSHOP MANUAL DIAGNOSTICS.

Tape the trailing edge of the mirror sail down to the front window glass from the tip of the mirror sail to the belt molding.
If the noise goes away, replace the mirror on the effected side. Both mirrors do not have to be replaced.
If the noise does not go away, continue with normal Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 100-04 diagnostics.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
8L1Z-17682-AA Mirror - Expedition-Passenger - Power/Heated Convex - Middle Eastern Countries
8L1Z-17682-BA Mirror - Expedition-Passenger - Power Heat/Memory
8L1Z-17682-CA Mirror - Expedition-Passenger - Power Heat/Memory - Middle Eastern Countries
8L1Z-17682-DA Mirror - Expedition-Passenger - Power/Heated Convex
7L1Z-17682-EA Mirror - Expedition-Passenger - Power
7L1Z-17682-FA Mirror - Expedition-Passenger - Power - Middle Eastern Countries
8L1Z-17682-GA Mirror - Navigator-Passenger - Power Heat/Memory Power Fold / Expedition-Power Fold, Power Adjust
8L1Z-17682-HA Mirror - Expedition-Passenger - Power Fold/Power Adjust - Middle Eastern Countries
8L7Z-17682-AA Mirror - Navigator-Passenger - Power Heat/Memory Power Fold
8L7Z-17682-BA Mirror - Navigator-Passenger - Power Heat/Memory Power Fold - Middle Eastern Countries
8L1Z-17683-AA Mirror - Expedition-Driver - Power/Heated
8L1Z-17683-BA Mirror - Expedition-Driver - Power/Memory/Heat
7L1Z-17683-CA Mirror - Expedition-Passenger - Power Heat/Memory - Middle Eastern Countries
8L1Z-17683-DA Mirror - Navigator-Drivers - Power Heat/Memory/Power Fold / Expedition-Power Fold/Power Adjust
8L7Z-17683-AA Mirror - Navigator-Drivers - Side Power Heat/Memory/Power Fold

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
071615A 2007 Expedition/Navigator: Replace One Mirror, Includes Time To Road Test To Verify Concern (Do Not Use With 17682C, 23943A) 0.7 Hr.
071615B 2007 Expedition/Navigator: Replace Both Mirrors, Includes Time To Road Test To Verify Concern (Do Not Use With 17682C, 23943A) 1.1 Hrs.
071615C 2007 Expedition/Navigator: Extra Time To Paint One Mirror, This Labor Operation Should Be Claimed With Labor Operation A (Do Not Use With P101, P17) 1.0 Hr.
071615D 2007 Expedition/Navigator: Extra Time To Paint Both Mirror, This Labor Operation Should Be Claimed With Labor Operation B (Do Not Use With P101, P17) 1.5 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
17682 07

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2007 Ford Motor Company

berry1234 09-10-2007 11:21 AM

Anyone get a chance to try this out and see if it works? I need to get some wide masking tape then I will check it out.

rjd75 09-10-2007 11:39 AM

If someone can post a pic of what you are taping that would be helpful too.. What is the sail?

berry1234 09-10-2007 12:15 PM

http://home.pacbell.net/cclary1/Window.jpg

I assume this is what needs to be taped. Can anyone confirm?

tretopflir 09-10-2007 01:06 PM

thats what i taped and wow..instant quiet...called dealer and ordered the mirror..told them i wanted all TSBs done...they were like fine because ive had the truck in 3 times

berry1234 09-10-2007 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by tretopflir
thats what i taped and wow..instant quiet...called dealer and ordered the mirror..told them i wanted all TSBs done...they were like fine because ive had the truck in 3 times

What kind of tape did you use?

berry1234 09-11-2007 10:51 AM

Well I taped that part of the mirror and it made no difference. I also taped the rest of the edge where the mirror meets the body, still wind noise.

tretopflir 09-12-2007 11:47 AM

I did the leading edge and trailing edge...bernulli s principle...i seemed to work

rjd75 09-12-2007 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by tretopflir
I did the leading edge and trailing edge...bernulli s principle...i seemed to work

I just got back from my test run.. I picked up some wide green painter's masking tape and taped the front (leading) edge and the trailing edge. Definitely noticed an improvement immediately. Removed the tape and noise was certainly back again. Taped it up again to make sure I was not crazy and it definitely goes away with the tape. You still hear a bit of wind noise but it is spread across the whole front of the vehicle and I would say "normal" for a big boxy vehicle barelling down the highway. Removed the tape again and annoying localized driver side wind noise was back.. Now the fun part, going to the dealer, making the appointment.. etc. etc. Definitely not something I have time for, or something I want to be doing after spending this much on a truck.

Think I will try a different dealer.. The last dealer I went to left one of the rear windows all the way down and that is how I found it after the rain at 10pm when I picked it up. I had asked them to look at the 1-2 shifting of the transmission and they said the transmission guy said there is nothing wrong, yet there was no mileage on the odometer. Sigh..

n2umr 09-13-2007 07:12 AM

I taped mine yesterday with some electrical tape and what a difference. I wonder what is wrong with the mirror, it must have a bad sealing material or something like that to cause the noise.

Mark
07 XLT 4x4

Triboy 09-14-2007 02:32 PM

I've had this issue which I posted about a few months back. In my case they repaired the front wiper cowl and it made a huge difference. I still thought I had some noise but it was so much better I let it go. When I saw this post I did this :https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=162626&.jpg and it sounds much better. The noise was pretty much gone all together. Took the tape off and it was back. I'll be taking it in fairly soon for this one.

Thanks for the heads up.

Newton007 09-14-2007 11:49 PM

I just checked mine. the black plastic seems kind of floppy at the top, but have had no wind noise problems. Driving, Denver to Vegas and back next week, will keep an eye on it or should I say an ear on it. I will (as I always have when driving Fords in the past) bring a roll of duct tape along.

rjd75 09-16-2007 08:17 AM

Well, I took it in Friday to a different dealer and they confirmed it was the mirror and have ordered the mirror. I hope it solves the problem. After telling him I taped it and it had worked. tthe service advisor did not want to look at the the tsb or even mention the mirror in the service order. To ensure I was not wasting my time I took a pic of the mirror with tape on leading and trailing edge and printed it on a piece of paper asking the mechanic to try it and read the attached tsb. Found the note on the seat with "Thank You" written on it in pen, not sure what would have happened had I not done that..

-R.

Newton007 09-16-2007 01:54 PM

Thanks for the update. Sometimes you have to lead the the dealer service departments by the hand and show them the way. Seems that many times they seem to have a stock answer to a problem and get tunnel vision.
The hand written thank you, was I think, a real "thank you", not the stock "thank you" bla, bla, bla, that always get any way no matter what.

During a trip to another state, as I pulled in to town, my new 95 T bird started to sputter and would not do more than 40 MPH. So I found a dealer and got first in line to the service department very early the next morning. At noon, they were still working on it, they said their "computer" did not show a problem so they were baffeled as to what the problem was.
After replacing the engine ignition module and coils with no result, by 3:00 PM someone decided to start replacing plug wires. Yep on the second one they changed, problem solved. They told me it was the first time they had ever seen a plug wire go bad on a new car before and since their "computer" did not show any problem, never thought to look at the plug wires.

User 9823 09-17-2007 10:50 AM

Can you post the TSB number for this ? Thanks