Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Transmission Problems E4OD (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/650217-transmission-problems-e4od.html)

blindboyth 09-06-2007 09:25 PM

Transmission Problems E4OD

I have a 1991 F250 4X4 that came with a 302 but now has a 351 in it and a E40D transmission. About a month ago i replaced the filter and fluid. Now it will not down shift when i come to a stop so i have to pop the truck into nuetral then back into gear each time. Also it shifts very hard sometimes. The speedometer is not working because the drive gear in the speedo is stripped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

quicklook2 09-06-2007 09:33 PM

you need to drain all the fluid by also draining the convertor, drop pan, replace filter, put new fluid in.

try reseting the computer.

handyman43358 09-06-2007 09:59 PM

It is possible that by changing your fluid, you could have disturbed many particles of crap inside the tranny that had been sitting calmly, if the fluid has a lot of miles on it. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people rack up 120,000 miles before they change the transmission fluid, and then after they do it, they start having problems. I'm not real sure about your 91, but I know 92 and on uses a sensor in the rear to determine speedometer readings, but I also think that it might use a sensor mounted on the side of your speedometer cable close to the tranny to determine speed there also. Not real sure, but that may be what's causing your problem.

Mr. M 09-06-2007 10:10 PM

The E4OD will shift like garbage when the speedometer feedback to the PCM is not working properly.

Address your speedometer issue and see if the transmission cooperates.

blindboyth 09-11-2007 09:43 PM

when i replaced the speed sensor everything worked fine. my little sister told me the speedometer was spinning as i spun the speed sensor with a screw gun. turns out she was seeing things.glad this is over with.

Mr. M 09-11-2007 11:29 PM

Glad it helped. Keep that E4OD nice and cool and give it plenty of fresh fluid. It will shift well for years.

mvbritsem 10-15-2007 04:07 PM

where gets a f250 2005 his speed signal from. stil a sensor in the gearbox??
sorry i am hoping to buy a pickup soon and need a sensor in the gearbox

baki-winnie 07-15-2010 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by mvbritsem (Post 5228477)
where gets a f250 2005 his speed signal from. stil a sensor in the gearbox??
sorry i am hoping to buy a pickup soon and need a sensor in the gearbox

Hey, I have an E350 1992 7.3l Diesel, with E40D and the tranmission changes the gears from the 3rd into Overdrive and back and so on, even If I drive constantly 65mph on the highway. The oil temperature increase aproximatly 20° above normal. The oil is fine and every service is done. What could it be? I thought about the TPS (throttle position sensor) but it is a diesel. If ther one, where it is? Other solution is the CPS (cam postion sensor) , but the engine runs normal with different rpm in parking position.
What about the sensor near the acceleration pedal?

Lazy K 07-15-2010 12:16 PM

Not an expert but here is my opinion. The increase in temperature may be due to the torque converter clutch not locking like it should. Check that your brake lights are working properly.
The TPS should be on the drivers side of the injector pump but on your engine it is called the Fuel Injector Pump Lever sensor.
You do not have a camshaft position sensor but will have an engine RPM sensor (tach sensor), this is on the injector pump housing right beside the engine oil filler cap.
Might be worth checking that the electrical plug connections to the trans are not dirty/loose.
It is also possible that the Transmission Range Sensor is bad.
Best think might be to check for any trouble codes. You can get an OBD1 code reader for under $30.00 or it should be possible to pull the codes using a meter or flashing light but this is more complicated.

baki-winnie 07-16-2010 04:43 AM

Thanks for the quick answer.
What do you mean by "brake ligfhts work properly"? They are shining as they should.
What is a transmission range sensor? Where it is located?
I can't get a code reader in Germany. How do I get the codes without a reader?

Lazy K 07-17-2010 04:11 AM

Ford Fuel Injection How To Run a Self-Test Here is a link on how to get the codes without a code reader. You will need to connect a meter or small test light as shown and count the pulses. For the diesel I think you have to hold the throttle full open (key on engine off) to get the codes.
If your brake lights are faulty (staying on or coming on by themselves) it may prevent the torque converter clutch from locking as it should.
The TRS is the electrical device on the drivers side of the transmission that the shift linkage is connected to. It "tells" the transmission what you want it to do.

baki-winnie 08-11-2010 08:13 AM

hello lazy k. Thank You for help, I got fixed it. :)
I read the error code and then changed the throttle position sensor. Now the transmision is working properly, no changing the gears themselv anymore and the temperature of the oil is OK, too. I had some problems to get the sensor, I cannot buy one in USA, but I managed it at last to get one in Germany.

Many thanks for help.
baki-winnie

raymonkey77 02-06-2011 05:36 PM

I have a 91 F150, has inline 6 300, and E4OD transmission. It will shift 1-2 on its own, but not 2-3 without shifting from D to 2 and back again. I have about 17,000 miles on it since the last rebuild. I have replaced the TPS, the MLPS, the transmission pigtail for the solenoid pack, and BOO switch. Now It shifts 1-2 fine, then from 2 to a neutral condition. I have gotten codes 617, 618, 628, and 536. I suspect the Solenoid pack is bad but I am not sure. I am considering a complete fluid and filter change along with replacing the solenoid pack. What size torx socket will I need for the bolts that hold on the solenoid pack?

dstanford 10-14-2011 12:34 AM

he's right

Originally Posted by handyman43358 (Post 5102907)
It is possible that by changing your fluid, you could have disturbed many particles of crap inside the tranny that had been sitting calmly, if the fluid has a lot of miles on it. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people rack up 120,000 miles before they change the transmission fluid, and then after they do it, they start having problems. I'm not real sure about your 91, but I know 92 and on uses a sensor in the rear to determine speedometer readings, but I also think that it might use a sensor mounted on the side of your speedometer cable close to the tranny to determine speed there also. Not real sure, but that may be what's causing your problem.

he's right about the tranny fluid,if there is a lot of miles on the tranny and it hasn't been changed,Iv'e seen the same thing, people change there fluid and the new detergent in the new fluid cleans all the build up away and in no time it starts to slip or the clutches freeze up and it will try do go foward and backward at the same time,even in nuteral,and as for the speed-o-meter sending unit,it on the top of the rear end housing with a two wire plug,but most of the time when the speed-o-meter don't work the tranny shifts up and down really hard and all crazy,because the vehicle's ecm don't know what gear to shift to because it don't know how fast your going.

dmcf150 02-20-2012 07:58 PM

I have a 1995 f250 powerstroke. It unfortanitly has the e4od hooked up to it. torque converter locks under throttle and unlockes when i let off weather it being partialy letting off or fully. Took it to the trans shop hooked the snap on reader up and its getting a signal from the brake saying its on. replaced the switch and problem still exists. anyone have a simliar issue with the wiring. figured i would post on here before i rip my enite truck to peices tracing a wiring problem.