Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Air Intakes, Air Filters & Ram Air (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum196/)
-   -   Air Intake systems (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/649149-air-intake-systems.html)

gabe823 09-04-2007 12:44 AM

Air Intake systems

Hey everyone,
Have an 04' F150 FX4 and wanna put in an air intake system was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or recomendations for one. Thanks.

khadma 09-04-2007 12:58 AM

Volant or Qutlaw, these are FTE sponsors.

BrianFX4 09-04-2007 08:53 AM

I have the Airaid on mine but if I was to do it over again I would do the Volant. I like the Airaid just fine but I like how the Volant is fully inclosed.

pulse98 09-04-2007 09:34 AM

http://www.outlawpower.com/productdetail.php?sc=1486

You can see the Outlaw Power intake being dyno tested on a forum member's F150. The video is in the above link.

The Outlaw Power is highly recommended, especially with its NeverOil filter.

The Banks Power intake is also a good intake but on the expensive side.

evilwayz7 09-04-2007 10:51 AM

I used the Brute Force intake on my truck. I like the fact that it is an oil less filter. Doesn't need to be coated with sticky spray to filter out all the dirt. Is very reasonable price too. Check out streetbeatcustoms.com they match prices.

champ7718 09-04-2007 11:11 AM

I've got a K&N Series 77 (metal tube) on my '04 5.4L. The intake definately added some engine noise (more than my Bassani muffler did) and provided a small increase in power. So far I have no complaints with the unit, it installed relatively easily and has required minimal maintenance. I typically will just brush off the filter witha broom every few months. I've been using K&N filters for years so I've become accustomed to the cleaning and oiling required on these filters. As a FYI you do not need to clean a K&N air filter more than once every 10-20 thousand miles so long as you don't do a lot of dirt road or off-road driving. I think in the end most of the air intake systems out there are good quality and will provide the same gains, just do some research on the filters and find out which one best fits your driving style and needs.

SDTruckMan 09-04-2007 10:42 PM

Does the outlaw have a fully inclosed area around the filter?
By the looks of the pictures at their website it doesnt really look that way, it almost looks open at the bottom of the filter inclosure.

flyboyford 09-04-2007 10:52 PM

I have an Air Raid intake. I had Chux Trucks in K.C. install it. All together was about $250 with installation. Mil discount helps too :) I like the increased performance. Barely notcied any gas mileage bonus. The increased power makes you want to drive harder, so any gains in gas-mileage you lose in ego.

pulse98 09-05-2007 09:00 AM

The filter is 360 degree protected all around, there is no hole at the bottom.

Originally Posted by SDTruckMan
Does the outlaw have a fully inclosed area around the filter?
By the looks of the pictures at their website it doesnt really look that way, it almost looks open at the bottom of the filter inclosure.

gpeade 09-05-2007 12:17 PM

I installed the K&N model and as stated above I noticed no difference except the engine noise. Power and fuel mileage were not effected. With an exhaust and a tuner maybe it would make a difference but alone it's not worth the $. I kept all my old parts and am seriously considering switching back.

The noise was kool at first but pulling the camper it gets annoying.

baitmaster 09-05-2007 07:52 PM

I have an AFE CAI on my '05 5.4. It was a little noisy until I lined the box with 5/8" high density foam. Covered everything but the hole in the front with it, and it did seem to make a dif with less noise. used spray adhesive to fasten it. Would rather listen to the Magnaflow pipes but what can you do...

SDTruckMan 09-05-2007 10:37 PM

Anybody know if Outlaw has a sale or rebate going on with their CAI. Seem like a while ago they had a sale at 149 or 179 or something to that effect.

pulse98 09-10-2007 08:59 AM

I think I paid $199. But that was not the ford-trucks special. Give Dave a call at Outlaw Power and ask about the ford-trucks member special.

Zip 09-10-2007 12:41 PM

I have an Outlaw on my SD 5.4. Quite happy with it.

boxcar_tommie22 09-10-2007 10:25 PM

i put a cold air intake on my 98 made by afe excellent quality!! works wonders