Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum177/)
-   -   parents (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/645993-parents.html)

herman391 08-25-2007 06:00 PM

parents

Anybody else have parents who give off the impression that they want you to fail at everything you try? I know it seems like for me most of the time

mgraveman 08-29-2007 03:13 PM

I remember feeling like that sometimes too.

Now that I'm a parent - I can tell you that unless your parents are real deadbeats, that's not the case. I have two little girls, and I am more proud of them than they will ever know. Unfortunately, they don't come with an instruction manual. Being a parent is sort of trial and error - kind of like being a kid. So, cut them some slack sometimes.

Not really what you wanted to hear is it?

herman391 08-29-2007 09:57 PM

I suppose that it's not really what I wanted to hear but I guess what you are saying does make sense. Maybe I made the wrong choice of words by putting "fail" its more or less trying to push me away from the career choice I want (Heavy Equipment Mechanic) by telling me all of the bad things of the job and ignoring the good, and trying to push me to do something more along the lines of what they want for me, which to be honest they have never actually given me a straight answer on. I dunno its just to confusing being a kid I guess.

mgraveman 08-30-2007 08:46 AM

Ah, yes. It makes sense now. My folks and I went through the same thing.

You're not going to want to hear this either - but my folks were right. In today's businesses, college education is almost a requirement, even for entry level positions.

The job market is getting mroe and more competitive. Competition overseas with VERY highly educated students are upping the requirements for even jobs like you want. You may be able to get a job now, but in ten years that may be a different story. Believe me when I say that by not going to college you are either going to have to be very lucky or you are going to be stuck right at or above the poverty level for the rest of your life.

There are lots of jobs out there that aren't in an office that will pay very well, but an apprenticeship is required for a lot of those. One example would be a machinist (not a machine operator). These jobs pay very well now, and the people who are doing it are retiring. It is not unusual at all for a good machinist to make $30/hr, and the best ones make a lot more than that. In order to do that you'll have to be very strong in math and have a good general mechanical understanding, with about ten years apprenticeship (which nobody really does anymore).

Whatever you do though, a college degree will be very beneficial. Have you considered a more hands on degree like engineering?

herman391 08-30-2007 12:48 PM

I have thought about engineering but it's pretty low on the priorty list right now. I do know all about apprenticeships because I was on my way to getting one in the electrical field when things got all shot to hell and I decided that it wasn't the field for me.

Being a mechanic (Diesel or Heavy Equipment) was also always second on the list, but now I realize that its more along the lines of the career path that I want to follow so I am pursuing that. I have an oppourtunity for an apprenticeship at a local shop and I am also looking at college programs for the heavy equipment technician in case I decide to go that route. In fact I drove about 1000Km total yesterday so that I could go and check out the closest college that offers a pre-apprenticeship program in that field so college isn't out of the question either.

I guess I'm just incredibly confused as to what I want to spend the rest of my life doing and my parents aren't really being the big help I always saw them being.

rangergurl04 08-30-2007 06:22 PM

girl wants to be a mechanic, girl starts school as going for automotive, girl gets kicked out of house and not allowed back until major is changed...
simple enough?

96sherm 09-23-2007 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by rangergurl04
girl wants to be a mechanic, girl starts school as going for automotive, girl gets kicked out of house and not allowed back until major is changed...
simple enough?

has said girl become successful mechanic??

bf250 09-23-2007 03:14 PM

i find that many parents blend the line between wanting what is best for their kids and living their own dreams and lives through their kids.

a college degree is not at all required for being successful, there are many trades that have strong demand for people.

heavy equipment mechanic is a great career path, you may even do that for awhile, go to college part time, and in a few years even be running the shop with your heavy background knowledge in both mechanics and business, the key is never stop your education.

there are a million stories from both sides on which is the best way to go on what. i personally know people who are successful both with and without a college degree, but what they do have in common is they possess a skill, whether a degree, hvac certs, plumbing or whatever, that is in demand.

a friend of mine graduated from college with a business degree and worked at sprint in kansas for awhile, he got laid off and went to work as a laborer at a construction company to make ends meet while looking for another job. now he is an equipment operator making more money and having a funner more fulfilling job than when he was working at sprint, he is now looking to break off into a management position at a larger company.

in my family, my dad gets $50 an hour working on boiler controls for an industrial electric company, he actually is his own company and contracts his service out to them, and he gets bonuses also according to how much energy he can save factories from using, all done with lots of experience, but no degree at all.

79-400-POWER 09-23-2007 06:10 PM

[QUOTE=bf250]i find that many parents blend the line between wanting what is best for their kids and living their own dreams and lives through their kids.

that says it all right there.

Peter94 09-27-2007 11:35 PM

My GF's dads total income in 1993(ish) was under 10k per year. (1 wife, 2 kids). My GF's dad has never had any college education. But with alot of hard work, and some time, and now 14 years later, he owns his own business (has 2 locations), probably makes around 150-200k per year, and has a net worth of about 1.5 million dollars.

Dare to Dream.

Don't settle for something less because its easier. There are no rules that say you have to fill out an application and get a job and make x dollars per year.

If you have an idea, give it a shot and run with it.

One of the biggest influences in my life has been my GF's dad. He has shown me that you dont need money to make money. Whats this guys great skill that has made him so successful? He's probably the nicest guy you will ever meet. He goes out of his way to make sure your problems are taken care of. He said that he takes about 10k out of his pocket every year in making sure other peoples problems are solved.

When it boils down to it, you can do anything you want, and whatever makes you happy. A heavy equiptment mech probably makes good coin and has alot of fun doing it. I would say do whatever makes you happy, and just tell your parents that this is what you want to do, and you are sorry if they disagree with that, but your a big boy and can make your own decisions. Besides, your the one who has to live with it for the rest of your life right? Just remember people are what make the world work. The bottom line (dollar amout) is never more important than the customer. I wish some of my bosses could understand that concept.

fordboy_52 10-03-2007 04:07 PM

i started out as a mechanic and my god am i glad i changed my mind. i still like to turn a wrench, but i almost ruined myself of it

Matt