Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Need help- tailgate removal instructions (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/634153-need-help-tailgate-removal-instructions.html)

Tarmac 07-20-2007 02:18 PM

Need help- tailgate removal instructions

I have an 06 F-150 with the "assist" built into the tailgate. Please tell me how to remove the gate, I will be using her as a truck :rolleyes: in the morning and the gate will just get in the way.. Thanks

GordoPanocho 07-20-2007 06:05 PM

Have you looked at the tailgate? Seems to me like you just pop it out of the groove on one side and then slide out the other side from its connection. That's why they're so easy to steal.

wildcard30 07-20-2007 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tarmac
I have an 06 F-150 with the "assist" built into the tailgate. Please tell me how to remove the gate, I will be using her as a truck :rolleyes: in the morning and the gate will just get in the way.. Thanks

From the owners manual...

Tailgate removal
Your tailgate is removable to allow
more room for loading.
1. Lower the tailgate.
2. Use a screwdriver to pry the
spring clip (on each connector) past
the head of the support screw.
Disconnect cable.
3. Disconnect the other cable.
4. Lift tailgate to a 45–degree angle
from horizontal.
5. Lift right side off of its hinge.
6. Lift tailgate to a 80–degree angle from horizontal.
7. Remove tailgate from left side hinge by sliding tailgate to the right.
To install, follow the removal procedures in reverse order.

:-RTFM

Simple answers to simple questions can be found in the manual....

redrush40 07-13-2008 12:49 AM

That's it????

So basically the same removal instructions for the 1980-96 style trucks?

I have to remove my tail gate tommorrow as well...

Thanks for the tip,
TONY Z.

svt2205 07-13-2008 06:29 AM

Yup, that's it.

FatalErrorz 07-13-2008 08:43 AM

No...Bring it to my shop and I'll remove it for you. When you're done, bring it back, and I'll install it for you. Business is slow; support your local shops... (kidding)

baitmaster 07-15-2008 07:00 PM

I recently moved a refrigerator in my long bed. The darn tailgate almost fell off in the parking lot, that how easy they come off. I always keep mine locked for that reason.

EMB135Driver 07-17-2008 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by baitmaster (Post 6351898)
I recently moved a refrigerator in my long bed. The darn tailgate almost fell off in the parking lot, that how easy they come off. I always keep mine locked for that reason.

+1...my tailgate is only unlocked when I open it.....I was stunned to learn that GM trucks don't have locking tailgates, then I reasoned that no one in their right mind would ever want to steal one.

Arnold Kenyon 07-17-2008 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by EMB135Driver (Post 6357957)
+1...then I reasoned that no one in their right mind would ever want to steal one.

It is the people who are not in their right mind that you have to worry about.

FTE Trigger 07-20-2008 04:37 PM

:-hijacked
...For those that didn't always keep the t-gates locked or in the up-right and locked position seem to use a couple of ty-wraps to keep the gate from Bouncing off of the "barrels".

Iirc... there were a posts/pics out on this...
:-D

Tylus 07-20-2008 04:57 PM

I read about the rash of tailgates getting stolen and I always lock mine up

yep, got a few tie wraps on my tailgate as well to keep it from "popping off" if there is something in the bed that pushes against the bottom edge when you are closing it. 1 guy had his tailgot pop off when a flat peice of cardboard pushed on the bottom edge