Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   Biodiesel Conversion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/631665-biodiesel-conversion.html)

lawlor 07-12-2007 12:44 PM

Biodiesel Conversion

Does any body know what I would need or could lead me in a direction to start? I want to look at converting my 02 X. Thanks.

Btravelen 07-12-2007 12:49 PM

Properly produced Biodiesel should require no modifications. WVO and SVO DO. You would have better luck posting in the 'Bio' forum.

Take Care

fomoco_1 07-12-2007 07:32 PM

Speaking from experience....I gave it a shot for 10,000 miles in my Kenworth. Fuel mileage decreased 6 %. Short of making someone FEEL better about the environment,its not what it was cracked up to be. Anyway,noone would use it if it wasn't so heavily subsidized by the government.

lawlor 07-12-2007 08:44 PM

Biodiesel Conversion

Does any body know what I would need or could lead me in a direction to start? I want to look at converting my 02 X. Thanks.

willbd 07-12-2007 09:04 PM

Nothing for Biodiesel. If you want to run WVO you need to install a heated fuel tank system.

lawlor 07-12-2007 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by willbd
Nothing for Biodiesel. If you want to run WVO you need to install a heated fuel tank system.

Which is better, B20 or B99? What are the differences?

monsterbaby 07-12-2007 09:28 PM

differences are B20 is 20% biodiesel and 80% petro diesel and B99 is 99% bio and maybe 1% petrol diesel. Better is questionable, depends type of answer. the B20 will of coarse give you the benefits of running bio in added lubrication and will clean your fuel system and should improve your fuel economy. B99 might hurt your economy slightly (I don't see it with mine but many say it does) but had the benefit that darn little of your money is going to the middle east.

lawlor 07-12-2007 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by monsterbaby
differences are B20 is 20% biodiesel and 80% petro diesel and B99 is 99% bio and maybe 1% petrol diesel. Better is questionable, depends type of answer. the B20 will of coarse give you the benefits of running bio in added lubrication and will clean your fuel system and should improve your fuel economy. B99 might hurt your economy slightly (I don't see it with mine but many say it does) but had the benefit that darn little of your money is going to the middle east.

The only place around here has B99 but I have the Superchip and it is set on the 3rd stage so I'm pretty sure my fuel economy would go down but I think it would go down a whole lot. Do you also need ot get a new fuel filter? I see a bunch of people saying that. If it cleans the fuel system then why would you need a new filter, or will the filter just catch all the stuff from the system? Thanks.

monsterbaby 07-12-2007 09:39 PM

you will want to keep a new fuel filter with you because it will clean out the fuel system and the filter better catch it but that will plug it if your system is really dirty. but once you have gotten it cleaned up then the filter changes will go back to normal
As to the economy I get around 16-17mpg on #2 diesel get 17-18on approx B25 and around 16-17 running B100 so you can see it really isn't changing my economy much.

lawlor 07-12-2007 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by monsterbaby
you will want to keep a new fuel filter with you because it will clean out the fuel system and the filter better catch it but that will plug it if your system is really dirty. but once you have gotten it cleaned up then the filter changes will go back to normal
As to the economy I get around 16-17mpg on #2 diesel get 17-18on approx B25 and around 16-17 running B100 so you can see it really isn't changing my economy much.

So could I jump right into filling my tank with B99?

Flea 07-12-2007 10:50 PM

Yep. All Bio goes straight into and unmodified vehicle.
Bio is modified outside of the tank and Veggie or WVO is inside.

lawlor 07-12-2007 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Flea
Yep. All Bio goes straight into and unmodified vehicle.
Bio is modified outside of the tank and Veggie or WVO is inside.

Thanks for the info.

IB Tim 07-13-2007 08:25 AM

Moved to ...here....enjoy~

fabmandelux 07-13-2007 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by fomoco_1
Speaking from experience....I gave it a shot for 10,000 miles in my Kenworth. Fuel mileage decreased 6 %. Short of making someone FEEL better about the environment,its not what it was cracked up to be. Anyway,noone would use it if it wasn't so heavily subsidized by the government.

I respectfully disagree, I've been making and using biodiesel for 4 years, and Have noticed a slight increase in fuel milage. Some people have said they see no differance at all. I run a 3,000 acre wheat ranch with biodiesel only and will NEVER go back to dino-diesel! All my diesels run smoother, quieter, with 0 problems in the last 4 years. My fuel costs less than $1 per gallon, and my $$$ stay on the ranch and don't go to some "rag-head" !

If you want to find out more about making and using biodiesel you should go here first: http://www.biodieselcommunity.org And look at past threads on this forum, there are lots of us here sharing info on making bio.

Phydeaux88 07-16-2007 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by fomoco_1
Short of making someone FEEL better about the environment,its not what it was cracked up to be. Anyway,noone would use it if it wasn't so heavily subsidized by the government.

I dont know what you expected so I cannot address that issue; however, the advantages to BioDiesel are not better fuel economy or cheaper fuel. The big advantages ares reducing our dependance on foreign oil, putting one of our national resources (our farmers), back to work, and simultaneously reducing greenhouse gasses.

Anything we can do to reduce the flow of cash to the terrorist supporting middle east regimes is beneficial. Anything we can do to reduce our dependence on foriegn sources of a vital resource is beneficial. Anything we can do to put folks to work is beneficial. In the short term it may cost more to operate a fleet of vehicles on BD but long term we (the nation) win and each individual benefits.