Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ranchero & 1961 - 1967 Econoline (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum43/)
-   -   Generator light on ALL the time... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/628972-generator-light-on-all-the-time.html)

61Econoline 07-04-2007 08:39 AM

Generator light on ALL the time...

never had a generator problem with this truck... now the light came on several days ago... my wife uses the truck to get to work (1 mile away)
'don't have a repair manual, but have checked:
*the battery: 12.67 V - does not change voltage when the engine is revved
*fan belt for the generator: it's tight and it spins the gen.
*the voltage regulator: the bottom "coil" connects to the battery and then pushed in the GEN light goes out, but the voltage does NOT increase (at the battery) when the engine revs

...so, how do I check the VOLT.REG, and GEN to determine which is not working properly? Is there a way of "adjusting" the VOLT.REG.? I'm "in-the-dark" without "maintenance procedures" - I'm willing to fix it, I just don't know how...
Thanx,
Ron

fl1a 07-04-2007 07:16 PM

You might want to put this question up on the "misc." forum in the electrical systems thread, also.

pfogle 07-05-2007 12:39 AM

I'd start by making sure that the regulator is grounded well. Take a lead from the battery and attach it to the body either close to or on the actual bolt that holds the regulator in place. If that doesn't fix it then you probably have a bad regulator, or bad brushes in the genny.

Col Flashman 07-05-2007 02:31 AM

Could be the 'Brushes' need to be replaced, they do wear-out, don'tcha know.
Could be a Connection has come loose in the system somewhere.

NumberDummy 07-05-2007 04:06 AM

Most autoparts stores carry new brushes and bearings. The cost is about 20 bucks. As Col Flashman pointed out, the generator brushes are prolly worn down to nothing. When that happens, the generator will not charge.

Shade tree mechanic: The older voltage regulators do stick on occasion. Rap your knuckles on the cover a coupla times, see what happens.

ford390gashog 07-06-2007 02:11 AM

Here is the brush kit FX34 www.kragen.com but it shows the bearings are discontinued.

NumberDummy 07-06-2007 05:18 AM

A8AZ-10094-B .. Replaced by >> C9ZZ-10094-A .. Bearing: Generator End Plate (Motorcraft GE-21)*

B6A-10095-B .. Bearing: Generator Rear (Motorcraft GE-4)

*Kragen sez Obsolete? :-X15 This bearing has also been used in alternators since 1969...and is still used today.

BIL is VP of Checker (Kragen)....mebbe I'll call him up and have him update the info.

61Econoline 07-08-2007 09:39 PM

'finally had a chance to remove both the volt.reg. and the generator.
after opening up the GEN 'noticed the brushes are worn pretty good but the commutator that they ride on is *R*E*A*L*L*Y* worn down...
'called *every* auto parts store in the phone book: nobody (on a Sunday) has a replacement. Tomorrow I'll start calling "auto electrical" places to see about getting another one...
Suggestions for places to try??

Jimbare 07-09-2007 04:40 PM

yours can probably be turned down and flattend. anyone that rebuilds electrical stuff should be able to fix you up.

61Econoline 07-10-2007 07:34 AM

Jimbare,
there was no fixing THIS commutator - it was worn down almost 40% !!! I don't know *how* it was working as long as it did... I've had my 61 'Connie since March 1984, rebuilt quite a few things along the way, but the last time I *looked* at the generator was ~1989 when I changed brushes... 'found an "automotive electric" place not too far from my shop and they completely rebuilt it in 1/2 a day !

'have had quite a few cars and motorcycles in this time, but the one "constant" was the '61.
My cousin's girlfriend, back in 1984, named the truck "Homer" - it was *not* good looking (faded paint, bad wheels/tires, etc) and she didn't want to be seen in it... the name 'stuck'...

fl1a 07-10-2007 01:49 PM

There is a used, pulled 61 Falcon generator on ebay motors for sale. I can find it
again if youre interested.