Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Flathead V8 & Flathead 6 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum57/)
-   -   rebuild or not everyone please read/comment (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/628589-rebuild-or-not-everyone-please-read-comment.html)

Snowking 07-02-2007 10:52 PM

rebuild or not everyone please read/comment

Howdy
Ok, my 1949 I just got running with the orignal 239 flattie. The motor has a rebuilder tag on it from 1966 and the truck was last liceced and supposedly last ran in 1967.

Ok, should I rebuild it????

The motor still does need TLC, overheating, idle off, 1 or 2stiff valves stuff like that nothing seeming majior. But still no sign of a castrophe looming.

So since I probably will miss the cruise season anywho should I do a R&R doing the rings bearings, timing stuff like that.

Because right now the key expensive parts should still be perfect, block crankshaft etc.
Please tell me all you think. Advice will all be appreciated and taken into consideration.

I do have the funds and over the winter I'll have more then enough time.

Yes/No

Thanks in advance Ryan

sosotwo 07-03-2007 03:14 PM

i had kind of the same situation here picked up a motor with a rebuild tag on the motor needed nothing check your compressin and oil pressure if they are good should be a good motor
as for overheating look at thermistats,see if your rad is pluged up I know for a fact that these trucks need the factory fan shroud or they over heat
good luck and enjoy

galaxie641 07-03-2007 05:51 PM

I agree, I'd make sure the compression is good then drive it until it dies.

mtflat 07-03-2007 07:29 PM

My opinion? Keep your oil changed, run it 'til winter and then take it down - if you decide you need to. Flatheads are tough. If you have any compression it'll run.
Use some Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas and crankcase to loosen up the valves.
If your radiator is clean and the block is clean your heating problem should disappear when timing is correct.

I doubt you'll hurt the crank if you run as-is until winter. By then you'll know what you need to do and have some practical road experience with it.

Snowking 07-05-2007 08:22 PM

Well thanks all, it is much appreciated as always but in sayin this if anyone else has a opiniion preferably contridicting please step in.

51ford fan 07-16-2007 12:28 AM

My Flathead in my 51F1 sat for 17 years not running, it was last rebuilt in the 70's according to the PO. I mananged to get it running and the more I drove it the better it ran. That was three years ago and it's still running great and shows no signs on dying yet.

effie_man 07-17-2007 10:18 PM

as long as the compression is even across the cylinders i would rebuild. Fix what you need to, throw some 25W oil in there (just in case loose bearings and rods) and drive and enjoy

4tl8ford 07-18-2007 12:05 AM

I was tearing down a Flatmotor today, while waiting for my New Panel to arrive.
The main water pump inlets into the block were half closed by casting flash.

I think Tim has the right treatment for the Ol Girl, just don't get her too hot.