Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Washington Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum188/)
-   -   I need some steel studs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/627493-i-need-some-steel-studs.html)

MARTYSTOWRIG 06-29-2007 02:13 PM

I need some steel studs

I am finally redoing my trailer floor and I think I will replace rotton wood with steel studs instead of the original 2x4's

I need them cheap$$ or free. I will take rems too.

Marty 206-423-5803

Ford_Six 06-29-2007 03:54 PM

Just a note, steel studs can't take the side load that 2x4s can, so if they're laying down supporting the floor, they will give out pretty quick. Best long term fix would be some 3.5x1.5x3/16" square tube, or C channel. Much stronger, a little more pricey, but will last a good long time.

MARTYSTOWRIG 06-30-2007 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ford_Six
Just a note, steel studs can't take the side load that 2x4s can, so if they're laying down supporting the floor, they will give out pretty quick. Best long term fix would be some 3.5x1.5x3/16" square tube, or C channel. Much stronger, a little more pricey, but will last a good long time.

These will be laying flat side vertical and I will weld lateral supports in betewwn them. I am not redoing the whole thing but I will make sure the ones I do put in are BETTER and STRONGER than wood. My brother in law is getting me some woven fiber material they wrap new buildings and houses in. It is kind of like tyvek but breathable. Allows moisture out but not in. I saw it at a home show once. Pricy though .40 per sq ft. 100' roll. He is getting me a rem thankfully for a 6 pack from a job they just finished.
Thanks for keeping me straight though Jared

RexB 06-30-2007 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by MARTYSTOWRIG
I am finally redoing my trailer floor and I think I will replace rotton wood with steel studs instead of the original 2x4's.

I need them cheap$$ or free. I will take rems too. Marty 206-423-5803

Steel prices are through the roof aren't they.

What are the size/dimensions that you are looking for cheap$ or free, and does mild steel work for ya'? If quantity is not too much, i have some flat and bar steel.

Locally, www.everettsteel.com and www.metalshorts.com often has remnants in bins for lower price than others.

MARTYSTOWRIG 06-30-2007 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by RexB

What are the size/dimensions that you are looking for cheap$ or free, and does mild steel work for ya'? If quantity is not too much, i have some flat and bar steel.

Locally, www.everettsteel.com and www.metalshorts.com often has remnants in bins for lower price than others.

REX,
I think mild steel is not quite what I need. Thanks though.

I still need to be able to screw it inplace with existing wood and light gauge steel. I am unsure of sizing yet I will know Sunday when I get er opened up.

I hav alot of buddies in the construction trades and HOPE they are going to be able to get me a couple of framing studs. I think they are idealin size strength and workability.
I am thinking this through and will not have a good BOM until I am actually finished..... But that is how my projects usually go.

Placermike 06-30-2007 05:45 PM

I don't think you want to use framing studs for a floor. They are great for walls, once the drywall is applied, but not designed to be load bearing. McKenzie could bend one faster than a 2x4.

Mr. M 06-30-2007 11:33 PM

No...but aluminum sure has gone up. 75-80% in the past year.

RexB 07-01-2007 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. M
No...but aluminum sure has gone up. 75-80% in the past year.

No on steel? Where you buying steel stock in-state at the same prices? I'm shopping there.

And on the skyrocketing aluminum, I flatten out old alum boat trailer fenders and use it, new stock quantity isn't even affordable for the common guy anymore.

Mr. M 07-01-2007 10:45 AM

No on steel? Where you buying steel stock in-state at the same prices? I'm shopping there.

And on the skyrocketing aluminum, I flatten out old alum boat trailer fenders and use it, new stock quantity isn't even affordable for the common guy anymore.

Cd'A Metals in Wenatchee. I believe there is one is Spokane as well.

RexB 07-01-2007 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. M
Cd'A Metals in Wenatchee. I believe there is one is Spokane as well.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ml#post4888705
-