Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   What is the difference between 4x4 and FX4? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/623657-what-is-the-difference-between-4x4-and-fx4.html)

LAblover324 06-17-2007 12:55 PM

What is the difference between 4x4 and FX4?

I have seen Fords with 4x4 and FX4 branded on thier hips; is there any differrence mechanically between the two?

Thanks,

LL

DesertDave 06-17-2007 01:02 PM

For 2008 I think things are different than what I'm stating.

In 2007, and probably for several years earlier, the Fx4 option included the stickers, white shocks that said 'Rancho' but most folks claim are stockers made to look like Rancho's, skidplates, and the requirement to also buy a limited slip rear end.

One could order the skidplates and/or the limited slip as a separate options.

There was no other difference, suspension the same etc.

wlihntr 06-17-2007 01:24 PM

an F and a 4......sorry couldnt resist

the FX4 is just a package as dave said...it used to be call "off road"

DonJames 06-17-2007 01:39 PM

I knew what it was but other people I talked to did not realize it was a 4x4 at all, let alone an 'off road 4x4'. They thought it was like the STX F-150, where the 'STX' decal is where the 4x4 one would be.

To add a little to DesertDave's reply. The skidplates cover the transfer case and fuel tank. I wanted an FX4 but all the dealer had on the lot were regular 4x4 ones. So I asked the salesman to add skid plates and he said, "we can for more money but the skid plates are really a joke, any big rock would rip them off anyways".

WhiteEx 06-17-2007 01:49 PM

In the olden days, 4x4 meant 4 on the floor and 4 wheel drive, but just about everyone is now using automatic transmissions.

In the '08 Super Duty brochure, they refer to a "F250 FX4 Crew Cab 4x4 in Black..." and it says that "4x4 drivetrain with limited-slip rear axle" is standard with the FX4 package.

Pocket 06-17-2007 01:57 PM

Just as a comparison, the FX4 package became available in 2003 replaced the 4x4 "Offroad" package that was available in 2002 and years prior. I have an '02 4x4 Offroad, and my parents have an '03 FX4, both are 7.3L trucks. The only difference between the two is the Rancho branded shocks, and the stickers on the rear of the bed. Both trucks have the same LS rear, steering stabilizer, skid plates, etc.

The basic 4x4 package does not include the skid plates, and some don't have steering stablizers. However many trucks with the basic 4x4 package still have limited slip. That was an option for any truck.

Nikolai 06-17-2007 03:12 PM

I disagree on the skidplate being worthless. I just bought the transfer case skidplate to put on my 04 F-250, and though it might bend on impact, it won't "rip" from the frame and will still protect the transfer case. I had an 89 F-150 with the same thin t-case skidplate and banged it up plenty and it never once ripped from the frame, yet it saved my t-case from damage multiple times. They're invaluable if you fourwheel.

I didn't know there was a gas tank skidplate. Does anyone have a part number for this and how much it costs? Would anyone also happen to have a picture? The transfer case skidplate was $160 with the nuts and bolts...

badlar 06-17-2007 03:27 PM

I also disagree on the "worthless" - Skid plates on a factory order are(or were) $200 Canadian. Thats pretty cheap to protect a plastic fuel tank - it only takes one rock - it may bend, but it will not puncture the tank.

Super08 06-17-2007 03:59 PM

Desert Dave pretty much sums it up for the pre 2008 trucks. For the 2008 the FX4 is now a stand alone trim level just like the XLT, Lariat, etc.

LAblover324 06-17-2007 09:28 PM

I can vouch for the limited slip on the FX4. I was trying to get up my driveway which is pretty heavily sloped and my Wife had parked her Mommy Van into my space a little. It had been raining pretty heavy and I needed to get on the grass on one side. The rear tire started to slip a little in the mud on the street that accumulates by the curb then something kicked the truck in the ass and it climbed the curb pretty robustly. Thank goodness I had a little slack between me and the garage door!!!!!

Thanks Guys,

I am going to look under the truck for the skid plates. The one thing I did notice is the that the transmission cooler is low mounted and exposed to rocks and other road debris. An errant tree limb or a good size road pebble could probably punch thru the vanes and get the cooler. I am going to have to put something there to keep highway crap or underbrush from leaving me in serious do-do.

Thanks again.

LL

MountainHound 06-18-2007 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by DonJames
So I asked the salesman to add skid plates and he said, "we can for more money but the skid plates are really a joke, any big rock would rip them off anyways".

Can't speak for the gas tank skid 'cause I don't have one.

But I did buy a factory trans case plate from a salvage yard and installed it myself. I can tell you it will take a helluva hit on a pretty big rock to rip it off. In fact I can't see any way it could get ripped off short of trashing the whole underside in the process. I think it's quarter-inch steel plate and it will do a good job of protecting the trans case from dings (which is what it's designed to do).

I don't know what that's worth to others but that plate on my truck looks like it's been beat with a crowbar and the trans case looks new.

Dean88 06-18-2007 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteEx
In the olden days, 4x4 meant 4 on the floor and 4 wheel drive, but just about everyone is now using automatic transmissions.

I hate to have to disagree with a novelty idea such as that, but if that where true, then where did the name "6x6" come from that the Military called 6 wheel drive trucks? I've also seen a few "old" 4x4's that had a three on the tree.

F250tuff 06-18-2007 11:22 AM

4X4 means 4 wheels, 4 pulling

4X2 means 4 wheels, 2 pulling

That's it, no more.

redford 06-18-2007 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteEx
In the olden days, 4x4 meant 4 on the floor and 4 wheel drive, but just about everyone is now using automatic transmissions..

You are thinking of the Oldsmobile 442, which used to mean (at one time anyway)

4 = 4 barrel carb
4 = 4 on the floor
2 = dual exhaust

4x4 never meant 4 on the floor and 4 wheels driven.

PHWLEE 06-18-2007 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by badlar
I also disagree on the "worthless" - Skid plates on a factory order are(or were) $200 Canadian. Thats pretty cheap to protect a plastic fuel tank - it only takes one rock - it may bend, but it will not puncture the tank.

I also disagree on the "worthless" I have always had the skid plates on my trucks and even on my past SUV's. They aren't cheap, thin sheet metal. They are at least eighth inch thick plate steel fabricated to fit perfectly under the fuel tank, transfer case and or front end. If you are off road and ever bottom out at those area's, those skid plates could save you money and a big headache. I like it especially for the fuel tanks. Not too much to have to pay once and forget about it. And the little bit of extra weight it adds on in calculating the added fuel cost over the life of the truck is really not worth considering.