Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   4 Cylinder Engines (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum58/)
-   -   no starting contour (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/621037-no-starting-contour.html)

toyota1988 06-09-2007 02:44 PM

no starting contour

hello FTE members, moderator and all. it has been a while since ive posted. have certainly missed FTE.anyway. 1988 contour 2.0 automatic..first it was a no spark to the coil. fixed that but now it still will not crank up and run. only if i spray fuel into the throttle body then it will crank for 10 sec's or so. ive checked the inerta switch and relays and fuses and the fuse for the fuel pump also.i had to run a jumper from another hot fuse to the fuel pump fuse to get it power and the fuel pump runs and is pumping fuel out im at a stand still.any help at all would be great . i don't know what to check yet.i havn't checked the fuel prssure at the rail but the fuel pump does work. any help at all please . thanks toyta..

fordnut71 06-09-2007 11:19 PM

did u check to see if the fuel pump relay is working
if u hot wired the pump to get it running u are bypassing the relay

toyota1988 06-10-2007 11:32 AM

well know but i changed them out .im not sure how to test the relay itself. i will try this though. im working on the car now. ill try that and post back. thanks fordnut71 for replying.

toyota1988 06-10-2007 12:29 PM

i changed the relay. in my manual fuse 14 is for the fuel pump. cannpot get power to that fuse unless i use the jumper wire?

fordnut71 06-10-2007 07:23 PM

u could have a bad ground wire on the relay or even a bad connection to the relay or u might have a broken trigger wire

toyota1988 06-11-2007 12:35 PM

ground wire

I cleaned my ground wires from auxialllary fuse box to the motor and to the car frame.It would seem to me if no power this fuse only something else maybe or not? everything else is working only the fuse for the pump.really has me throughed off. put gas in the throttle body and it runs for a min. but not getting it with the pump running for a straight minute. could a fuel pump still run but just not with enough pressure to open the injectors or does this fuse and relay supply something else to. pressure regulator?

fordnut71 06-11-2007 07:33 PM

it is possable u do have a bad pump
have u listen to the pump comming on an stopping once it builds up pressure ?
it should take less then 20sec to build up

TigerDan 06-11-2007 09:25 PM

You really need to check the fuel pressure. It is indeed possible for the pump to run but not put out sufficient pressure to run the engine. It could also run but not build enough pressure due to a bad FP regulator dumping the fuel right back into the tank, or even a really badly clogged fuel filter restricting the flow.

Checking pressure is pretty easy. The low-buck approach is to buy a cheapo 0-100 psi pressure gauge at the hardware store (the kind designed for water systems, with a 1/8" pipe fitting on it) which should set you back about 6-8 bucks or so. Then you locate the Schrader valve on the fuel rail, remove the valve core and clamp a short piece of fuel hose onto it with the pressure gauge clamped into the other end, turn on the key, listen for the fuel pump to build pressure and shut off (about 1-2 seconds) and check the gauge for pressure. You should have around 35 psi minimum in order for the engine to run, which should be around 40 or so with it actually running (if it did run...)

toyota1988 06-12-2007 10:15 AM

ok im going to get pressure checker today . ill check the fuel pressure.the fuel pump dosn't just run for two sec' or twenty sec's it stays running because ive had to run a jumper wire from another hot fues to the fuel pump fuse. so the pump runs steady with the key on. also im going to buy a new fuel pump relay so i can elimanate that relay problem also.thanks for the responce back fordnut71 and tigerdan ill post back later today with the results.again thanks..

kens64 06-12-2007 11:45 AM

You can also try contour.org.

Lots of contour and Zetec experts there.

lando2007 06-12-2007 11:51 AM

i also have a 96 contour and its not starting and its trying to crank over but wont and the fuel pump is engaging. should i check the throttle body to see if gas is getting to it?

toyota1988 06-14-2007 08:50 AM

Well i checked fuel rail pressure. only about 13psi.manual on the contour says it should be 36psi. going to get a fuel pump i guess.lando it's something your gonna need to check yes if your doing the repair yourself.

lando2007 06-14-2007 12:12 PM

well i just checked pressure on the rail and gas didnt shoot out. so im guessing that my fuel pump isnt putting out enough pressure so i need a new one.

TigerDan 06-14-2007 10:52 PM

Hi lando2007, and welcome to the site!

Both you guys, don't forget to check the FP regulator. If it's bad it could be returning the fuel to the tank without the pressure building up sufficiently.

lando2007 06-14-2007 10:54 PM

what the FP regulator. i know some stuff about cars.