Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   2000 F150 Rear Brakes problem? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6202-2000-f150-rear-brakes-problem.html)

copeina 08-05-2002 10:01 PM

2000 F150 Rear Brakes problem?

rootdenied 09-17-2002 04:52 PM

Hello everyone. . .I have a rather baffling question/experience to share with anyone so hopefully I can solve it. My ABS light occasionally come on in my truck, but turning the engine off and then back on makes it go away. I thought nothing of it till recently. Over the weekend I had my truck parked in the backyard because of street sweeping on Mondays. I go to pull my truck out and drive down the alleyway and press lightly on the brakes and the ABS engaged and I skided a bit a short distance. I felt the brake peddle pulsate like I slammed on it really hard but I did not. I did nothing to the rear end of my truck over the weekend. I pulled my front wheels off to investigate some clicking up front, but I did nothing at all in the back portion of my truck.

Now just today I pull out of my schools parking lot and made a right hand turn onto the main street at about 10 to 15 mph. During the course of the turn I went through a puddle of water. AFTER I went through the puddle my wheels skided a lot. Its really unexplainible because I was looking through my side view mirrors and I was not in the water at all at that point. So I need some help here.

I suspect my ABS sensors but the light only illuminates occasionally. So I need some advice on this.

Thanks!

aldridgec 09-17-2002 10:32 PM

Do you have drum or discs in the back. If you have drums it could be a leaky axle seal slobbing up the shoes and causing the drums to grab. I assume the back brakes are locking up. If its the fronts, and your abs light is coming on it could be a modulator problem. Its really hard to know why the abs light is coming on without a scanner to see what kind of codes it is setting.

rootdenied 09-18-2002 12:10 AM

Yes I do have drums on the back, and thats where the problem seems to be occuring. However, I am unable to reproduce it all, until it catches me totally off guard. What other symptoms would there be of an axle leak? Would I see a lot of lubricant on my rims or anything like that?

white99 09-18-2002 09:56 AM

My truck would do the same thing after any 4x4 trip. I would loosen the back shoes and that would stop it. I finnally took it to the shop and the rear drums were out of round. Didn't believe it at first till my last 4x4 outing and it didn't happen any more.
JimP

lm1d 09-18-2002 03:14 PM

you probably have an issue with an ABS sensor on the rear brakes. Check your codes and replace the sensor as necessary.