Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   collapsed top radiator hose (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/613979-collapsed-top-radiator-hose.html)

broncoboke 05-18-2007 03:12 PM

collapsed top radiator hose

Is there air in the system?
when I run the truck for a bit and shut it off, the top hose collapses.
There is water in the radiator.
Water comes out of a capped T that is in the heater hose if I unscrew it, whether engine is running or not.
Any ideas on whats going on here?

Thanks.

MRL123 05-18-2007 03:43 PM

What is the overall condition of the hose like? Is this a new bargain basement hose that doesn't have the big spring in it? Alternatively, if the hose is as old as the truck that could be the issue right there. The other possibility could be a failing water pump. If this is a new water pump is it rotating in the correct direction?

Perhaps a little mopre information about the overall condition of the heating/cooling system might help a bit.

Post back with what you can.

Cheers!

Mike

broncoboke 05-18-2007 03:50 PM

NEw water pump 4 months old.
New Hose, New radiator 2 days ago. Temp guage runs between o and r of Normal.
No Spring in Hose. New Thermostat. Water Pump runs in the same direction it always has. All I can think of.
Thanks.

broncoboke 05-18-2007 03:52 PM

What would indicate a failing water pump? There is no water coming out the weep hole. and its not squealing or making bad bearing sounds. With the radiator cap off the water moves so I guess its working.

netscaner 05-18-2007 05:41 PM

Is the cap bad ? As the engine cools, it must be able to draw from the resevour.
Is the resevour hose clogged ?

mhg 05-18-2007 06:12 PM

get a spring and put it in the hose
this is a common problem and can cause your engine to overheat
the pump causes a suction when the thermostat is closed
this causes the hose to collapse
you need a spring to stop it

Popa Tim 05-18-2007 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by netscaner
Is the cap bad ? As the engine cools, it must be able to draw from the resevour.
Is the resevour hose clogged ?

BINGO!

As the engine cools, the coolant shrinks and the resultant vacuum should cause the radiator cap to sucked open and thusly draw in coolant from the resevoir.

It sounds like a bad cap or a pinched/blocked/plugged resevoir tube.

broncoboke 05-18-2007 06:53 PM

I'll try the cap and sping
Thanks a bunch

felixr 05-19-2007 12:55 AM

lol you dont need a spring. some people swear by it others curse it

dont treat the symptom

treat the cause

your hose is collapsing for a reason. dont just put a band aid on it

i dont remember the reason these hoses collapse. . . i'm trying to remember . . i think it was either the water pump was bad, the t-stat was bad or the system had an air pocket

as i said, i can't remember

i think there was also some talk about a vacuum caused by the pump if i am not mistaken

someone on here knows for sure cause we have talked about it before

do a search, don't just go by this thread cause no one here seems to know the correct answer

no offense guys but there -is- a definite answer to this dilema

Silentst2000 05-20-2007 04:01 PM

Sounds like a bad cap

After it cools off and the hose is collapsed, remove the cap and if you get a suction effect like their is a vacuum in there then the problem is the cap. Those springs are meant for the lower radiator hoses because the pump can collapse them from the amount of volume they try to bring into the engine.(assuming traditional coolant flow engines)

rainbowATF 05-21-2007 08:44 PM

Had same problem. Changed hoses etc. Truck came with 8lb cap. Replaced it with stock 12-13lb and collapsed hose was no longer an issue.

alabamabuddog 05-21-2007 09:58 PM

Are you sure it is just after the engin is shut off? If its happening while the motor isrunning it couldbe a cracked head on the intake side. Are you getting any steem out the tail pipe?

Bruce R Leech 05-21-2007 11:34 PM

cap cap cap cap

peppersfords 05-21-2007 11:47 PM

I had this problem once...I tried everything....hose, water pump even a new radiator. Called my dad and he started laughing. He said he had a tool that would help me figure out what the hell the problem was and he was coming over for dinner.

He went under my hood and took the cap off and put a new one he got on his way over. I started up my truck and turned it back off again and....PRESTO. It was all good. I stil haven't been able to live that one down. Still brings it up and that was 7 years ago.

Look at it this way. It is like a 5 dollar part...try it and see what happens. Couldn''t hurt.

netscaner 05-22-2007 07:25 AM

As well as the cap, it might well be the resevoir is clogged, or the tube that runs to it.
You might want to temporarily remove the tube right where it connects just below the cap.