Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1966 - 1977 Early Broncos (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum45/)
-   -   302 Ho Ecm (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/612681-302-ho-ecm.html)

DESERTRED4 05-14-2007 04:37 PM

302 Ho Ecm

Im finishing up a 302 HO install in my 1988 Bronco with a C6 trans , I had bought a used computer that I was asured was for a 302 HO and it was not. The 302 HO computer I have is from a 1994 Bronco with a electronic transmission and will not work with the C6. The local parts dealers can not sell me a computer because they require a program code off the computer and I do not have one.I have looked at all the local wrecking yards none to be had .
Does any one know the progam code ? Or a Reputable wrecking / used parts dealer they can put me in touch with ?

engine from 1994 302 HO out of a Bronco
going into a 1988 Bronco with a C6 that had a 351 in it to begine with.

ReAX 05-14-2007 06:41 PM

You could probably use an A9L out of a mustang, sence the C6 is not electronic any manual mustang should do. However, check with your local speed shops. You never know, you may have an EEC-IV tuner near by that can do anything you want with the ECM you have.

RCrawler 05-15-2007 01:12 AM

What engine control are you using? The Bronco never came with an HO version of the 5.0. The systems and engine control for the Bronco and Truck engines are different from the Mustang HO systems. So, you need to determine exactly what you have.

The most common ecm for the Mustang is the A9L. This is for a Mass Air, 5 speed, HO application. You can also use a automatic version as long as it came with a "dumb" non computer controlled transmission.

Jason

DESERTRED4 05-18-2007 03:28 PM

Well I have done some checking and have tracked down the VIN of the donor Bronco and it shows a VIN 8th digit N - 302 but says nothing about a HO type being option , So I must now asume that a swap was done at some point on the donor, I have set this engine up as a speed density by using the 351 ( 1988 ) air intake hardware with the 302 intake. So Im to this point, I can get the engine to Run with the ECM from the Donor but it had a electronic transmission , when not in gear it runs great has lots of power and RPM run up great , place unit in gear and I get no run up and bearly moves the Bronco . I have tested all and find nothing other then the electronic trans difference. I have read on other web sites that if using a ECM that had a electronic trans then I would have major problems with no explanation as to what those could be so I assume this is the major problems. My next route / question is this I have no local speed shops to flash a ECM , only wrecking yard has no bronco / F150 / mustang ECM . I am to the point that I will buy a new ECM but not to sure that I want to spend the funds to do this not knowing if solve the problem. I have snagged the old ECM from the 1988 351 and this is the same firing order as the 302 HO,but can not get it to fire with this ECM.( bad ECM?) Looking over the wiring diagrams the only difference that I can trace out is the KNOCK sensor is on the 302 and not on the 351 ? Any advice would be helpful,

ReAX 05-18-2007 05:17 PM

So does the ECM your using have a transmission circuit? If so, it's probably getting a signal to engage the transmission and cannot. It should show a CEL, but run. I still belive you need to get a manual transmission ECM.

DESERTRED4 05-18-2007 06:40 PM

Yes it does ,pins out to 32,38,41,52,53,55, and thats what I have worked out as to why it does not ramp up when in gear, shows same netural circut so it sees thatwe are out of park but can not go into gear.
I have tracked down the ECM E9TF- _ _ _ ( verious letters ) as being used on 302 and 351 , A local parts dealer said that any one should work ? Looking at the year and the pin out they are the same except the knock sensor and power steering both used on the 302 and not on the 351 but the pins are there so I belive that should work . Does any one know what the last 2 and 3 letere /number code actually mean ?

RCrawler 05-19-2007 01:38 AM

The last 2 numbers in the six digit code usually are the suffix for calibration and emissions info.

The truck system is batch fire, so firing order makes no difference on whether it should run or not. If you have an ECM from a 88 351, you may be able to determine whether it originally came equipped with a C6, AOD or the E4OD by the ECM code. If you thought that the ECM was bad, you have something to go on to get a replacement.

A ECM for a E4OD will not function properly as you found out. The computer is looking for signalls from shift solenoids, brake switch, converter lockup as well as what gear it is in (not just a neutral/ drive).

I parted out several late 80's Broncos and I used to have a few ECM's from them. But I think I threw them out because I couldn't find anyone that wanted them.

Here is a list of EEC ECM codes for F series and Bronco

8CB 5.0 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 SD-Bank
8PU 5.0 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 SD-Bank
8PV 5.0 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 SD-Bank / AOD
8PZ 5.0 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 SD-Bank / AOD
8TP 5.0 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 SD-Bank / Manual
C2M1 5.0 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50
C9Z 5.0 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 SD-Bank / AOD
E1A1 5.0 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 SD-Bank / E4OD
GLO2 5.0 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 SD-Bank / 4R70W
GT 5.0 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 SD-Bank / AOD
L0U 5.0 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 SD-Bank / Manual
L12D 5.0 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50
RG 5.0 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 SD-Bank / AOD
RRS0 5.0 96 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 OBD-II / MAF / 4R70W / TFI
RZ 5.0 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 SD-Bank / AOD
T2T 5.0 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 SD-Bank
U2D 5.0 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 SD-Bank / AOD
W2J 5.0 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 SD-Bank
HUG2 5.0 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 MAF / E4OD (see note 1)
VEX1 5.0 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 MAF / E4OD / F5TF-12A650-HB
WAY1 5.0 Bronco, F-x50 E-x50 MAF / E4OD / F5TF-12A650-JB

Jason

DESERTRED4 12-09-2007 10:27 PM

ECM needed

I need a ECM from a 302 HO engine with a manual transmission , Any one have one or now were I can get one ?I can not seem to find any wrecking yard that will give me one withj out a code of of one ,

Or does any one have the actual code off the ecm ?

Conanski 12-10-2007 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by DESERTRED4
I need a ECM from a 302 HO engine with a manual transmission

No you don't you just need a 5.0 ECU from any truck with either a manual, C6 or AOD tranny. The HO motors were sequential injection so that computer will not match your wiring harness.

mauicruza 12-15-2007 01:47 AM

I'm using a DX3 from an 87 mk7 5.0 HO S/density ECM on my EB. It was from a non-elect trans and it's running fine with my C4. I'm quite sure it would work for a manual trans. I'm not sure what injector wiring you currently have but this ECM is for seq. fire and not batch. HTH

benshere 12-16-2007 11:02 AM

bronco ECM

I am going to suggest something that I have not fully looked into, so maybe it will generate a few comments from those who may know.

I have a 93 5.8 W/E4OD and have looked at the EVTM for that year wiring of the E4OD so I can manually control the TQ lockup. Already know which wires to the solenoid just waiting on the "Roundtuits". Unless the ECM (PCM) sees the winding of the solenoid (probably in OHMs resistance ~2-3 ohms) it may kick out a soft code, but will not trigger "limp home". I have designed a switch for the dash to provide winding resistance and still remove the Lockup solenoid from the circuit.

Now-----to relate all that to a ECM for an engine with electronic tranny! I suspect that the MLPS can be synthetically duplicated fairly easily, which will give the PCM something to look at while it controls the engine functions. Schematically, the MLPS looks to be a series of resistors, of different values, which tell the PCM what gear it is in or even if it is in gear. Whether the PCM looks at resistance or lower voltages because of the resistance dosnt matter as long as you make it think it is looking at a tranny. I have no doubt it can be done-----you just got to do a little research.

Soon as the Roundtuits arrive, I will look into that myself (I have tried to expedite the roundtuits). Maybe someone who has "doneit" can pitch in--:)