Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   EL question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/610140-el-question.html)

foxcoupe 05-06-2007 05:38 PM

EL question

hello, all.
I am considering an excursion, but now that the new EL's have come out, I like them as well. My main question is, how well do the EL's tow? i am leaning towards an '04 or '05 diesel 4wd excursion, and I am planning on purchasing a travel trailer in the next few years, as well as an enclosed car trailer in the future. I realize that the diesel X will probably be able to out pull the expy, but does anyone here regularly pull a 7-8 thousand pound trailer, and if so, does the expy do a good job? Also, most of the X's I am looking at are in the mid to upper $30k's. What is a realistic price for a 4wd EL Expy? I don't really need all of the bells and whistles, but rear dvd would be nice. (ie, I don't need navigation, etc)

thanks in advance,

Monsta 05-06-2007 07:24 PM

For that weight I would consider a good pre-owned V10 Excursion or a PSD. Both will be cheaper than the new EL.

They (EL's) seem a bit hard to find. I did some searching for one in WA, AZ, southern CA and couldn't find one in inventory.

foxcoupe 05-06-2007 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Monsta
For that weight I would consider a good pre-owned V10 Excursion or a PSD. Both will be cheaper than the new EL.
They (EL's) seem a bit hard to find. I did some searching for one in WA, AZ, southern CA and couldn't find one in inventory.

I am in Houston, and there seems to be plenty on dealer's lots here. (at least according to autotrader.com) The advantage to these is that they are new, and I could get a better interest rate on them probably.

Ratpack 05-10-2007 06:45 AM

Although I can't actually answer your question, I found this site on the web talking about the same thing.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/19192988.cfm

They may have some insight as well. I will say that the '07 EL with towing package is rated at 9,000 lbs. With a trailer the sixe you are looking at, you are getting close to that and add anyother gear for camping and you are right at it. I have an 07 El and to me it has a lot of pulling power. My dad has a f-150 with the same motor and hesaid the Expy feels better than it and he pulls a 7,000 camper. So, in short, I think the Expy would be a better choice for all around use and the occasional pulling, but if you intend to be pulling it a lot, like every other weekend or more, you may want the PSD. The Expy certainly would ride better when not pulling a trailer with the new suspension. If you do go with the Expy, also get the rear load leveling suspension. And as far as price, I can only attest to my area in SC, but you should be able to get a 4x4 XLT EL with towing and rear DVD for close to the mid $30K. I got my EB EL 4x2 with almost every option for $39,500.

bricot 05-11-2007 09:44 AM

The problem can come down to wheel base, as a general rule you don't want more than twice your wheel base from the ball/hitch point to the rear axle of your trailer. This can stick you with a pretty short trailer vs. a PSD.

Monsta 05-11-2007 02:20 PM

What's the wheelbase on an EL?

Ratpack 05-11-2007 02:24 PM

It is 131". So if you don't want anymore than twice that before the trailer axle, you can have up to 21' before the axle and problably would have at least 11-15 after. So the trailer could be as long as 32-36 feet. That is a pretty big trailer in my opinion.

bricot 05-21-2007 09:29 AM

You also loose somewhere between 5 - 10 feet of trailer length between the ball and the trailer (tongue length) that isn't included in the trailer measurement but has to be included in that calculation.

I would wonder if the 'twice the length...' rule of thumb isn't pushing it for the Expy's. I sure can tell my boat is behind it where I couldn't behind my F350.