Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Clutch pedal bushing replacement (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/607499-clutch-pedal-bushing-replacement.html)

timo944 04-28-2007 09:29 PM

Clutch pedal bushing replacement

1995 F-250 2WD Diesel

The clutch won't release all the way so I checked the pedal bushings and there's quite a bit of movement on both sides. Does anybody have:

- tips on replacing these?
- online source or is it dealer only?

TIA

Timo

GMconvert 04-29-2007 08:04 AM

I had a '92 F250 2WD with the 7.3L. I actually had to replace the entire clutch pedal assembly, brackets and all. If I remember correctly it wasn't too hard to replace. I replaced just the bushings once and they wore out quickly again. It seems Ford modified the brackets to increase the surface area of the bushing support. Orginally the bushings were only supported by the thickness of the stamped bracket. Later they added some material onto the stamping to increase the support area for the bushing, after that I had zero problems.

timo944 04-29-2007 02:39 PM

Where did you get the assembly? Maybe I could check a bone yard...

GMconvert 04-29-2007 09:25 PM

I bought mine at the Dealership! You should check to make sure yours doesn't have the modified brackets already installed. Then it would be just a simple bushing replacement. I believe the bushings are a dealer only item too. If you can take some photo's of the braket assy. under the dash, I might be able to tell you if you have the modified brackets.

KC92F150 04-29-2007 09:49 PM

Timo
I kind of had the same problem on my 92 F150 4.9L Clutch. I heard a loud pop and the clutch wouldn't release all the way. Well I went to the Ford Dealer and got new bushings and replace them. Well after I replace them it still didn't fully release. The clutch worked just find but wouldn't release all the way. Maybe about a 1/2-3/4" Short of all the way out. Well I got to looking around and found that the release spring was lying under the park brake bracket. The tang that held the spring in place broke off and dropped down. I could replace the entire clutch pedal assy, but I opted to just add a spring from the Help Section in Autozone. About $5.00 dollars for a pack of misc springs, I bent one to fint and it works as good as new. I hope this helps.

Kevin

timo944 04-30-2007 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by GMconvert
I bought mine at the Dealership! You should check to make sure yours doesn't have the modified brackets already installed. Then it would be just a simple bushing replacement. I believe the bushings are a dealer only item too. If you can take some photo's of the braket assy. under the dash, I might be able to tell you if you have the modified brackets.

I can see very clearly that it does NOT have modified brackets - it's the first thing I noticed when I looked at it. The only bearing surface, as you say, is the thickness of the metal. I'm thinking I can go find a later model truck in a scrap yard and solve the problem once, or maybe i can modify the bracket with a little welding.

GMconvert 04-30-2007 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by timo944
I can see very clearly that it does NOT have modified brackets - it's the first thing I noticed when I looked at it. The only bearing surface, as you say, is the thickness of the metal. I'm thinking I can go find a later model truck in a scrap yard and solve the problem once, or maybe i can modify the bracket with a little welding.

My clutch pedal wore through the bushing and elongated the hole in the bracket. You would probably be successful at finding one in the junk yard. The modified one almost looks like they welded a large non-threaded nut on the inside of the bracket (towards the center of the truck). You might be able to modify yours. However, I don't remember if they changed the bushings though.