Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum53/)
-   -   460 vs Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/604121-460-vs-diesel.html)

bigmuddyford 04-18-2007 07:07 PM

460 vs Diesel

Alright people. Is there anyone out there with a 460 or any gas for that matter hooked to a Powerstroke or Cummins, anyone pulled a diesel. If so what all have you done to your rig. Thats my goal (to hook up to these hot shots in there daddy's diesel and yank the snot out of them) Anyone have any war stories of hooking. I hooked up to my daddy's 07 f150 and broke his front drive shaft. I will say, he spun all 4 wheels until it broke. But other than that he is the only one that will hook to me. Everyone else hears 460 and runs or they have one bad ass diesel and i run. Ive never ran into a stock diesel that would hook up. Well i hope to hear some good stories. Ohh and as for a duramax....my toyota could pull that.

Thanks
CHRIS

Troy Bredthauer 04-18-2007 09:15 PM

i tried truck pulling for a couple of years, weight seems to be the biggest factor. and diesels are heavy. ive got a 95 f350 with a turned up cummins in it and it takes one hell of a 460 to out accelerate it. the 460 is in a half ton but it does have 37 goodyear mtrs on it. the 460 always wins on the big end however because the f350 tops out at 115. i do think that the deisel will always win the pulling contest though. it doesnt please me, however because i HATE diesels

MychalCrowson 04-19-2007 01:56 PM

Anybody have Speed Channel? Every now and the they show tug o wars, of course its on pavement with non DOT legal mud tires, but the trucks with 460's always win. the last one i watched was a 78 Ford with a 460 vs. a 95 powerstrke and the 78 pulled him with ease. Dirt i guess could be different, weight is a huge factor and i'd have to say it would be hard to budge a turned up heavy ass diesel, but if you have it set up right with the right tires and maybe a 545 stroker they'll have nothing on you in the torque dept. Another thing, diesels may win a tug o war, but i go to a tractor pull every sept. and watch all pickups new diesels vs. old truck with gas motors and i have yet to see any diesle win in any class. In the 7200lb class their was a few dodge diesles,chevy duramaxs and powerstrokes all turned up and they all got beat by a 72 chevy on 40 in swampers and i nice torquey 454. diesels do make killer torque, but there is a little more to it then that and a nice big block can do some serious torquin, plus they sound alot better

stngh8r 04-19-2007 03:13 PM

traction wins tug o war, not neccessarily power. IMHO.

I could out pull a much more powerful truck any day of the week as long as he doesnt have the same strategy as I do.

Somebody says go.....hold the brake until your competition starts spinning, then ease off the brake and on the gas while he is still spinning and you have traction. You move forward and he moves backwards! Rocket Science:rolleyes:

Troy Bredthauer 04-19-2007 08:52 PM

ha ha thats a great plan, i just hope no deisel guys are reading this, pull smarter not harder. an auto tranny probably helps alot also.

KubotaOrange76 05-13-2007 08:36 PM

if your pulling another truck hooked bumper to bumper....it doesnt matter whats under the hood, all that matters is weight, traction and the height of the hitch points

mgraveman 05-23-2007 04:18 PM

That is a trick I use when pulling on somethign sometimes. I hitch up to the gooseneck ball and let the weight pull me down. I get great traction this way, and in your case it would pull the other guy up off the ground some.

edgewatergetitboy 09-09-2008 11:22 PM

well my 1990 f-250 with a 302 in it will drag my 94 f-250 with the 7.3 in it all over the place, but thats only because of the gearing in the 1990, its got 4.11s and some meaty tires and the 1994 has 3.73s and some 33 bfg a/ts. but i have a 84 ram charger with a built up 360 in it that dragged my buddys stock 2500 dodge 4x4 with a cummins in it.

northern 7.3 09-10-2008 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by stngh8r (Post 4658248)
Somebody says go.....hold the brake until your competition starts spinning, then ease off the brake and on the gas while he is still spinning and you have traction. You move forward and he moves backwards! Rocket Science:rolleyes:

that doesn't work. i have a diesel and tugged against my buddy with v10 superduty. i tried that and he was skidding me backwards on pavement till i started in on the throttle a little bit and then pulled him back. my diesel is a 91 7.3 ats turbo. nothing fancy, not really that powerful and i had nothing in it aside from me and a little bit of fuel. i still weighed just over 6500lbs. his weighed 6200 and he had new tires i had old ones.
if you want to beat a diesel you'll have to have good tires, add some weight and dont light your tires up. nice easy pulling without spinning if at all possible. if youre on pavement anyway.

mgraveman 09-10-2008 11:14 AM

I can't believe there's really that many people out there that do this!

I might do it on dirt, but not on pavement.

monsterbaby 09-10-2008 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by MychalCrowson (Post 4658056)
Anybody have Speed Channel? Every now and the they show tug o wars, of course its on pavement with non DOT legal mud tires, but the trucks with 460's always win. the last one i watched was a 78 Ford with a 460 vs. a 95 powerstrke and the 78 pulled him with ease. Dirt i guess could be different, weight is a huge factor and i'd have to say it would be hard to budge a turned up heavy ass diesel, but if you have it set up right with the right tires and maybe a 545 stroker they'll have nothing on you in the torque dept. Another thing, diesels may win a tug o war, but i go to a tractor pull every sept. and watch all pickups new diesels vs. old truck with gas motors and i have yet to see any diesle win in any class. In the 7200lb class their was a few dodge diesles,chevy duramaxs and powerstrokes all turned up and they all got beat by a 72 chevy on 40 in swampers and i nice torquey 454. diesels do make killer torque, but there is a little more to it then that and a nice big block can do some serious torquin, plus they sound alot better

Well we had a pull here locally and at the end they have a local pull (you have ot have local county plates) we had half and half 4 diesels 4 gassers including one F250 with a 460 as well as a couple SBC and one BBC. we had 2 cummins, a 6.0 powerstroke and my 7.3 powerstroke. I came in third at 297ft (one cummins was at 313 the 6.0 was at 308 and the other cummins at 295) they closest gasser was at 270ft so no gassers don't always win, like a lot of stuff truck pulling is about wheel speed (which is where I messed up as it was my first hook every and didn't get into the right gear soon enough) even messing up and never really getting my wheel speed above 20mph I still outpulled the 460 by almost 30ft.

Oh and I do run gasser motors just not for pulling. most pulls around here have made a seperate class for diesels becuase the gassers complain of an unfair advantage.

maxell3655 11-17-2008 02:32 AM

Pulling has alot to do with weight and traction. Diesels are more high end (so they have an easier time with traction at the start) and gas are more for low end torque. My friend was at a truck pull on cruise night and a 454 and a 460 went head to head. Both trucks and they were there for easily a good 5 minutes in the same spot smokin them. Both had no weight in the bed. i am pretty that the 460 won cause it had more weight. Anyways i looked up diesel motors and found that the turbo diesels had more torque then the non turbo and the 460 sat right in between them. Im talking 96 and under. It might be the same case with newer trucks.

polish pete 11-17-2008 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by maxell3655 (Post 6778282)
Pulling has alot to do with weight and traction. Diesels are more high end (so they have an easier time with traction at the start) and gas are more for low end torque. My friend was at a truck pull on cruise night and a 454 and a 460 went head to head. Both trucks and they were there for easily a good 5 minutes in the same spot smokin them. Both had no weight in the bed. i am pretty that the 460 won cause it had more weight. Anyways i looked up diesel motors and found that the turbo diesels had more torque then the non turbo and the 460 sat right in between them. Im talking 96 and under. It might be the same case with newer trucks.

just to add to this, your wrong about diesels, there almost always lowend torque, unless they have a massive turbo and it lags. peak torque in small diesels are like 1800 not sure, but in the bigger diesel engines there peak torque is probably like 1300-1500.

maxell3655 11-17-2008 04:24 PM

I know someone that just bought a brand new turbo diesel and someone asked him if it would be easy to smoke him and he said that it was more for high end power on a highway for towing.