Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   1979 Bronco 460 swap motor mount question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/602869-1979-bronco-460-swap-motor-mount-question.html)

Mil1ion 04-15-2007 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by buzzbait65
I am a little confused, since there were no 460s put in the 73-79 4x4s, how is it ford has parts to mount them :-huh , he is working on a 79 bronco i think

The 460 mounts to these trucks the same way.
The concern is the oil pan and cross member.

The E-series got the rear sump pan.

Ford Just never considered putting a 460 in a 4x4 until 1983.
The parts as shown by my illustration are somewhat the same.

lisagoud 04-15-2007 05:55 PM

forgive my naiveness but where does one mount the bottom part of the frame part of the mounts if there is not crossmember present? :mad:

buzzbait65 04-15-2007 05:56 PM

mil1ion, the 4x4's have a single stud on the bottom of the motor mount that fits into the frame mount, not a thru bolt like the 2 wheel drive stuff

http://www.landlproducts.com/BBmain.htm

buzzbait65 04-15-2007 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by lisagoud
forgive my naiveness but where do mount the bottom p[art of the mounts if there is not crossmember present? :mad:

these motor mounts bolt to the existing frame mounts in the bronco

Mil1ion 04-15-2007 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by buzzbait65
mil1ion, the 4x4's have a single stud on the bottom of the motor mount that fits into the frame mount, not a thru bolt like the 2 wheel drive stuff

Those are a L&L design

The one I posted are the OEM 3-pc mount.

here is the parts numbers list for the 80's engine mounts for 460.

http://thumb16.webshots.net/t/57/557...6KslojV_th.jpg

Mil1ion 04-15-2007 06:01 PM

forgive my naiveness but where does one mount the bottom part of the frame part of the mounts if there is not crossmember present? :mad:

There should be 2 or 3 sets of holes to mount the engine mount towers

buzzbait65 04-15-2007 06:02 PM

correct on the 80's and up stuff, but he is mounting it into a 79 4x4 bronco........completely different engine mount system

Mil1ion 04-15-2007 06:05 PM

Hmmm....shouldn't be

The engine block is the same right thru.

460....Use 73-79 Mounts.... make sure rear sump oil pan & pickup tube.

No big deal.

Bronco Frame should be the same as F-series 4x4's under the engine.

lisagoud 04-15-2007 06:07 PM

okay, maybe I'm not making myself as clear as I had hoped for.
1. I understand the L&L Products use the existing towers on the the 1979 Bronco as well as the performance unlimited version.
2. I understand that the 3 piece OEM ones were deisinged for the 2wd trucks that have a front crossmember...If you look at the picture Dennis was nice enough to paste for us, it shows the frame tower mounting to the top of the frame as well as the top of the crossmember on the bottom side of the tower.
3. My question, I thought, was simple. If the 4wd trucks do NOT have the front crossmembers as do the 2wd trucks which the original 3 piece system was designed for, where does one mount the bottom side of those same towers to (hard to mount it if it ain't there, at least in my neck of the woods)!!! :-X02

buzzbait65 04-15-2007 06:09 PM

I found this on another site, it is for 460 swaps, scroll down to FACTS

FORD NEVER OFFERED THE 460 C.I.D ENGINE IN THE 4X4 TRUCKS IN THE 70'S
FORD ONLY OFFERED THE 460 IN THE 1970'S IN THE 2WD TRUCKS, SUCH AS THE CAMPER SPECIAL, F-150'S, F-250'S. NOW I KNOW WHAT YOUR THINKING HERE ! I CAN USE THE MOTOR MOUNTS AND TOWERS FROM THE 2WD TRUCK IN MY 4WD TRUCK CONVERSION. NOT, NOTTA, NO CAN DO, AIN'T GOING TO HAPPEN. BEEN THERE, TRIED IT DIDN'T WORK. I THINK YOU GET MY POINT AT LEAST I HOPE SO.
NOW SINCE FORD DID NOT OFFER THE 460 ENGINE IN THE 4WD'S YOU WILL HAVE TO EITHER BREAK DOWN AND BUY THE POWER STEERING SUPPORT BRACKET FROM US OR JURY RIG YOUR OWN SETUP FOR THE 19771/2 TO 1979 F-250 4WD INSTALL DUE TO WHERE THE POWER STEERING BOX IS MOUNTED.
NOW YOU CAN HOW EVER USE THE STOCK ALTERNATOR BRACKET
YOU CAN USE THE UPPER AND LOWER RADIATOR HOSES FROM THE 2WD TRUCK COOLING SETUP. SO THIS WAY YOU ARE NOT SITTING THERE THINKING HOW DO I KEEP THIS MONSTER BIG BLOCK COOL.

buzzbait65 04-15-2007 06:10 PM

okay, maybe I'm not making myself as clear as I had hoped for.
1. I understand the L&L Products use the existing towers on the the 1979 Bronco as well as the performance unlimited version.
2. I understand that the 3 piece OEM ones were deisinged for the 2wd trucks that have a front crossmember...If you look at the picture Dennis was nice enough to paste for us, it shows the frame tower mounting to the top of the frame as well as the top of the crossmember on the bottom side of the tower.
3. My question, I thought, was simple. If the 4wd trucks do NOT have the front crossmembers as do the 2wd trucks which the original 3 piece system was designed for, what does one mount the bottom side of those same towers to (hard to mount it if it ain't there, at least in my neck of the woods)!!! :-X02

those mounts wont work, that is what i have been trying to say

Mil1ion 04-15-2007 06:11 PM

For those that can't read or WON'T read upper case because it is considered yelling.

Here is thre lower case version of above.

ford never offered the 460 c.i.d engine in the 4x4 trucks in the 70's
ford only offered the 460 in the 1970's in the 2wd trucks, such as the camper special, f-150's, f-250's. now i know what your thinking here ! i can use the motor mounts and towers from the 2wd truck in my 4wd truck conversion. not, notta, no can do, ain't going to happen. been there, tried it didn't work. i think you get my point at least i hope so.
now since ford did not offer the 460 engine in the 4wd's you will have to either break down and buy the power steering support bracket from us or jury rig your own setup for the 19771/2 to 1979 f-250 4wd install due to where the power steering box is mounted.
now you can how ever use the stock alternator bracket
you can use the upper and lower radiator hoses from the 2wd truck cooling setup. so this way you are not sitting there thinking how do i keep this monster big block cool.

buzzbait65 04-15-2007 06:13 PM

the 79 era mounts dont use the crossmember, one bolts to the left frame one to the right frame, just like in your bronco

Mil1ion 04-15-2007 06:15 PM

What site did you find that at ?

buzzbait65 04-15-2007 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mil1ion
For those that can't read or WON'T read upper case because it is considered yelling.

Here is thre lower case version of above.

ford never offered the 460 c.i.d engine in the 4x4 trucks in the 70's
ford only offered the 460 in the 1970's in the 2wd trucks, such as the camper special, f-150's, f-250's. now i know what your thinking here ! i can use the motor mounts and towers from the 2wd truck in my 4wd truck conversion. not, notta, no can do, ain't going to happen. been there, tried it didn't work. i think you get my point at least i hope so.
now since ford did not offer the 460 engine in the 4wd's you will have to either break down and buy the power steering support bracket from us or jury rig your own setup for the 19771/2 to 1979 f-250 4wd install due to where the power steering box is mounted.
now you can how ever use the stock alternator bracket
you can use the upper and lower radiator hoses from the 2wd truck cooling setup. so this way you are not sitting there thinking how do i keep this monster big block cool.

that is why i said it was from another site, not me, i am not sure how it was lower cased for you, but the article i found was in all caps, even when i am yelling i am not yelling.............very passive here, just trying to get lisagoud some answers