Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Legs too short. Can't reach into #$@! bed. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/601077-legs-too-short-cant-reach-into-bed.html)

drichards66 04-10-2007 08:13 AM

Legs too short. Can't reach into #$@! bed.

I'm 5'11" which I thought was average but evidently Ford must think 6'6" is normal. Does anyone make a step or nerf bar extension so I can get items out of the front of my bed. I use my 07 F150 FX4 on the job. After pricing tool boxes I've decieded to just go with an undercover brand bed cover and use the bed as a toolbox (already rhinolined) but I can't reach the bottom of the front of the bed without rubbing all over the side of my truck. When you are done laughing you can give me an answer.:-banghead

slash12376 04-10-2007 08:38 AM

Have you considered removing the rear 4x4 blocks? This will drop the rear 2 additional inches. Then just install the 2 wheel drive u-bolts.

Horseapple 04-10-2007 08:39 AM

no laughing matter,I also have the same problem! I read a write up in car and driver that fussed about the same thing.I guess Ford thinks we are all ex-nba players

snowdog79 04-10-2007 08:58 AM

You can get wheel-to-wheel side steps that will allow you to reach into the bed more easily. I'm 6'2" and it is almost out of reach for me.

elite64a 04-10-2007 09:57 AM

I'm 6'1" and I dont have too much trouble getting to my bed but then I got a 2wd. There no need to complain about the tall bed ford gave us what we wanted more cargo space and a roomy interior. Kinda hard to do if you ask me. If you keep same bed height as 97-03 we woulda complained about that. If ford woulda made the standard bed length 6.5' in a CC we woulda complained about the truck being too long in traffic. So what were we they to do make us happy we asked for it they designed it the best way possible make it taller and able to carry more volume and still have a roomy interior.

BruceFX4 04-10-2007 10:03 AM

Taking the blocks out helps quite a bit. Still have to get on my toes to get small items though....

last5oh_302 04-10-2007 10:49 AM

Check this out:

http://www.f150store.com/Shop/ViewPr...eIndexID=57227

http://www.f150store.com/Graphics/Pr.../337-587_1.jpg

nascar6dude 04-10-2007 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by elite64a
I'm 6'1" and I dont have too much trouble getting to my bed but then I got a 2wd. There no need to complain about the tall bed ford gave us what we wanted more cargo space and a roomy interior. Kinda hard to do if you ask me. If you keep same bed height as 97-03 we woulda complained about that. If ford woulda made the standard bed length 6.5' in a CC we woulda complained about the truck being too long in traffic. So what were we they to do make us happy we asked for it they designed it the best way possible make it taller and able to carry more volume and still have a roomy interior.

I agree with drichards66. Don't ever recall anyone complaining about the DEPTH of our truck beds, every argument I ever heard concerned the LENGTH, 5.5 vs. 6.5. Apparently Ford listened that time and started offering the 6.5 bed on crew cabs. I own an older model F-150 along with my new one, and I much prefer the shallower bed for reaching over and picking up tools and such. The new tailgates are so big and heavy Ford had to put a spring assist in them. It's a shame the average height owner has to resort to some kind of step like last5oh has pictured above just to reach into his truck!

BPofMD 04-10-2007 03:29 PM

"It's a shame the average height owner has to resort to some kind of step like last5oh has pictured above just to reach into his truck!"

....and yet tons of owners install HUGE lift kits....go figure....

CampSpringsJohn 04-10-2007 03:55 PM

All of the manufactures make their 4X4's sit too high in my opinion. A good friend of mine has a 1985 J20 Jeep pickup that sits low to the ground. It's a 3/4 ton truck and it's obviously a 4X4 being a Jeep. Jeep used to be the leader in the 4X4 market.

nascar6dude 04-10-2007 04:05 PM

Yeah, but even the 2WD's are too high sided to reach over and touch the bottom of the bed. No need for all that depth.

BACKWOODSFAB 04-10-2007 04:10 PM

I wouldn't trade my bed depth for anything. I'm a mechanic, and I drive a service truck during the day, so my tools are right where I need them. After work I'm required to tend to my "honey do" list, which usually includes hauling dirt, gravel, trees, ect...
Thank you Ford, for making a truck bed that will hold a big load, and truck heavy enough to handle it.

()smoke() 04-10-2007 04:55 PM

i like the deep bed quite a bit, it was actually a selling point imo

i'm 6'-1" and i can reach the bed standing flat-footed beside the rear taillight on my 4X4, and that's where it's the highest...you just need longer arms:)

4DOORSR 04-10-2007 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by BACKWOODSFAB
I wouldn't trade my bed depth for anything. I'm a mechanic, and I drive a service truck during the day, so my tools are right where I need them. After work I'm required to tend to my "honey do" list, which usually includes hauling dirt, gravel, trees, ect...
Thank you Ford, for making a truck bed that will hold a big load, and truck heavy enough to handle it.

I totally agree. But maybe that's because of guys like us that Ford decided to use the deeper bed. Some people will whine about anything! If your bed is too deep and you can't reach your stuff, get a thick bed mat or a couple sheets of plywood to help. I'm only 6 foot and can reach in just fine... I may brush up against the side reaching deep but common, if you're that worried, drop the tailgate and get in that way.
Sorry Josh had a long day...

Tylus 04-10-2007 06:20 PM

thats what the tire is for. climb up on that sucker and reach inside.

luckily I can flat foot reach most parts of the bed, except the very center foot or so.

I like the deep dish bed, more bang for the buck IMO